Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > TalkTalk

Old 30-September-2006, 16:38
BexTech

News! TalkTalk customers are now able to leave their 18-month contracts freely.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09...ustomers_leave

A spokesman for Carphone Warehouse-owned TalkTalk told us the firm would look on requests to escape binding 18-month arrangements "favourably" if it had failed to keep its service commitments in their case.

Another well-placed source told us it was unofficial policy to let anyone go who was unhappy at the level of service TalkTalk had provided.

TalkTalk's "free" broadband service, which offered punters who signed an 18-month landline contract a broadband connection at no extra charge, has been beset by problems from the outset. Industry watchers have claimed the firm rushed its launch, and has suffered bad press and let down customers because of it.

Last edited by Scoobs; 30-September-2006 at 16:47.
Old 30-September-2006, 18:40
Former TS! Team

Default Re: TalkTalk customers are now able to leave their 18-month contracts freely.

I have also heard this.
Old 27-October-2006, 13:51
Roshan

Default Re: TalkTalk customers are now able to leave their 18-month contracts freely.

Well that is big of em, after the 100% without fail, disgraceful service in every aspect that isnt even delivered, its the least they can do.
Old 30-October-2006, 04:07
Topaz

i was having problems until i saw the information on this page http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/webtools/
Old 30-October-2006, 18:42
RGSCA

I have been trying to leave TalkTalk now for almost two months without success even after offering to pay the £70-00 asked for. All requests (6 so far) for a valid MAC Key have been ignored and my telephone line is locked and no other call provider can access it. I have given 30 days written notice that I intend to cancel my direct debit at the end of the next billing period and apply to the small claims court for compensation for loss access to my line. Copies have been sent to the Legal, Customer Service and Correspondence Departments and an email sent to the CEO with the letter as an attachment. So far all this has also been ignored but believe me I shall follow it through whatever the cost.
Old 30-October-2006, 20:56
RGSCA

My experience regarding TalkTalk and cancellations is somewhat different. I have been trying to leave them for several weeks and all I get is either lies from customer services or a stonewall. I was advised at the beginning to apply to another calls supplier by TT and when the switch had taken place I would receive a balancing invoice from them. I did this, only to find that my line was locked and could not be accessed by any other company due to outstanding work due to be carried out. I have been unable to find out from TT or BT what this work may be, I certainly have not ordered anything. I have also been promissed a MAC Key six times in the last five weeks. a Key was telphoned to me on the fifth attempt but when it was submitted to another ISP it was rejected as invalid/line not available. I was promissed another Key in 48 hours by email. It is now 5 days on and nothing has arrived. I have now sent a letter by recorded delivery to the Legal, Customer Sevices and Correspondence departments with an email to "dunstonec" with a copy of the letter as an attachment giving 30 days notice of cancelling my account and my direct debit on the same date. If this gets no results I have made them aware I shall make a claim for non access to my telephone line through the local small claims court and will send any bills received after this date straight to my solicitor. I have had enough and I intend to see this through whatever the cost.

Last edited by RGSCA; 31-October-2006 at 14:56. Reason: new information
Old 31-October-2006, 15:02
RGSCA

As an update I telephoned TalkTalk this morning and was told there were no records on their system of me ever asking for a Mac Key. This is after being given one last week (invalid as it turned out) over the telephone from a guy called Andy claiming to be from the options department. They as as bad as ever they were, don't have anything to do with them is my advice.
Old 13-November-2006, 23:35
TT Insider

I think you will find that the cancellation department (better known as the Options Dept) advise the following.

If you have been upgraded to the LLU that you speak to your new provider first incase they charge you for being switched over from TT LLU to there own (or BT) equipment.

If your wishing to have your fixed line disconnected TT will advise that you go to your new provider and ask them to "Takeover" the line rental and/or calls.

If your on the normal (ie upto 2mb) broadband a MAC key can be generated within 3-5 days of requesting it and at the same time all work to be carried out will (or should be) cancelled on another system of TalkTalks.

You will find that most Option people are willing to help and do try to advise that you stay with TT and try to get the problem fixed by speaking to the relevant dept, but if you have already exhausted all them avenues then explain that to the agent and be blunt, but not rude about wanting to leave.

You will also be advised that you may get the £70 breach of contract charge but the agents dont make that decision but advise that you can write in and complain expressing the reason (ie you never been connected to BB or bad service etc etc) which meant TT breached the contract first before you decided to leave.
Old 05-December-2006, 20:50
annette

I had the same problem but in a way I was lucky I told them to cancel my order for broadband which they did on the phone then and there but was told my mac code would be there in three days.
No luck after 10 calls I was told I wopuld not get a mac code and had to wait three weeks for my line to clear.
All this was because they could not get anyone to help me with all problems I was having.
Now have bt and had an engineer to install it best 50.00 spent as you can not get the security off of talktalk and the man was here 5 hours
Old 06-December-2006, 03:26
TalkTalkBoy

TalkTalk will be doing this sort of installation as well ;-) take a look at www.geeksquad.com its about to launch in the UK with talktalk but it does not only stop at talktalk broadband faults on ur pc, its a line to fix anything on your PC
Old 07-December-2006, 14:47
Thistle Do Nicely

What can I say, I was without a phone or broad band for 39 days and when I demanded to leave, they said that I would be charged for the time that I had not had a phone and £70 for the privilidge of leaving. Since my phone was broken by their unbundling, I felt this was a bit of cheek and implied that my phone line was effectively being hled hostage. I was told that "I could think what I like, but I would still have to pay to get my line back".

The idea that TT is letting people go is a lie being put about by TT to encourage even more mug punters into the 0870 scam that is talk talk.
Old 07-March-2007, 15:12
rehanapmalik

Angry Re: TalkTalk customers are now able to leave their 18-month contracts freely.

I am seriously thinking of leaving TalkTalk, after having no service for almost 3 weeks now. I live in the Milton Keynes area, is anyone else having this problem?? I cannot get them to sort this out, they keep trying to blame my router, I have two, they can't both not work!! Still waiting, finally managed them to take it seriously, they have now logged a call with BT...we'll see.
Old 12-March-2007, 17:29
bokanovsky

Hello there, your post doesn’t contain enough information to see whether I can help or not. What is the issue exactly?

Regards, Bokanovsky
Old 31-October-2007, 23:11
Hellcat9

is this a 100% definite ?

HC9
Old 18-June-2008, 20:32
kglenny23@talktalk.net

Cool Re: TalkTalk customers are now able to leave their 18-month contracts freely.

I have also heard this.
Originally Posted by Memfis View Post
my friend who is on tiscali would like to leave.but is bound by a contract although the roughter works he still has\to be plugged into the phone socket so is not free to move around with his laptop what is the alternative
Old 05-August-2008, 16:54
wak

for a quick and easy way off the connection, cancel the direct debit (my parents did by accident, as they didnt know carphone warehouse was talktalk)

they didnt complain about it, they just cut off our phone and internet without warning, but wouldn't expect anything else (no pay, no service, simple as)

no MAC code, and the trouble of having to wait for another company to get you connected etc, but probably faster tahn what others have said
Old 18-March-2009, 20:33
chinkysi

The best way is to make an official complaint through their complaints procudure. i did about the crap service. a manager contacted me said i could leave without a cancellation fee and gave me a number i could contact him on personally. i also cancelled the direct debit. i have not paid my last 2 bills but im still connected. been waiting for bt to take over my phoneline for the last month (who r even worse the tt).
Old 20-March-2010, 13:17

joke
Old 02-April-2010, 10:50
jud1255

not without paying the £70-00, I GOT TO PAY £70-00
i moved home 19-01-10 and previously phoned talktalk on the 7th jan 2010 to inform them.
firstly i was told although only moving 300yds and 3 streets i could not kep my 30year old existing number and would have to av a new number.
secondly i had to av a new account tt essentials where-as my international package would not be available. After threatening to close my ac they transfered me to retentions where i was promised all sorts to keep me.
finally yesterday april fools day 1-4-10 after making several calls and emails they still overcharged me have not gave the terms they promised and told i was to pay £70-00 althought they havent provided any part of the contract they promised .
Hopefully now they will close my ac and ill see them in court for re-embusment and cost .
BE VERY VERY CAREFUL with talktalk bunch of cons / liars
yeh very angry i am with them
Old 11-September-2010, 18:09
ladybird

it's interesting reading this thread. I'm 7 mths into an 18mth contract with TT for BB+anytime+line rental @ £23-odd per month. After 2 months I contacted them to say I had not received the £20 Amazon voucher promised to those who migrated from Tiscali. My account was immediately credited with £20 and I thought no more of it until I checked my bill this month and found that for 5 mths, since I last queried my bill, I have been charged for Weekend calls free instead of ANYTIME FREE.

As far as I'm concerned, TalkTalk do not cheat fair.

Is this one grievance grounds for cancelling my contract, do you think?

ladybird
Old 11-September-2010, 22:28
Screamager

If they refuse to re reimburse you, then maybe, but remember to be able to migrate to another isp you will first have to return your line to bt wholesale(return to donor) this is free with bt providing you take a calling plan usually 12-18mths contract, or you will have to pay a re connection fee, however there are some other's who provide btw lines cheaper the post office is one.

and furthermore should you find that you are able to get out without penalty, make sure you get clarification of this by a letter from talk talk, as they like tiscali (which is now talk talk) have a nasty habit of sending debt collectors to collect debts that are not owed,

As talktalk is full llu (mpf) the mac code system is not used for migration from them

Old 26-September-2010, 20:27
TJCNpton

Thumbs down Opal and Talk Talk

Following the most appalling service and a catalogue of failures so far as communication with the customer is concerned Opal/TalkTalk is now trying to charge me £300 "contract termination fee" as I'vbe gone back to BT, despite me giving them every opportunity to rectify the situation. When I tried to get the Mac Number they told me I'd have to wait 28 days when OFCOM make it clear that this should be provided within 5 days. Incredible. Who trains these people? I have been lied to and even the sales guy that pursuaded me to add my landline to Opal (I also had Pipex broadband) was embarrassed at the treatment I'd received and despite his best efforts to have the issue escalated nothing improved. I've tried "nice", "frustrated" and "angry" and frankly they just don't care. After my broadband went down my network guy called them when I was on hols. He got no joy and they even told him the account had been closed. Then when I eventually got through (calling on roaming from hols, not happy!) they gave me another yarn. Either way they didn't resolve the matter for 5 or 6 days. Now I have received a letter that threatens loss of service if I don't pay up. I'll be writing to Charles Dunstone but from what I've heard about him I'm told I shouldn't get my hopes up! This complaint dates back to 7th July (18 weeks). Stay away from these people.
Old 27-September-2010, 14:51
Screamager

Those isp's that use MPF full LLU such as talk talk and sky. do not need a Mac code to migrate to or away from, therefore this mac process doesn't apply here, as your line is physically removed from the bt network in order to go onto full llu , and as it has to be returned to donor (BTW) or alternately to order a new BTW line from BT retail or one of many others, BE is now offering line installs and rental £85.00 for line install apposed to the bt £127 standard fee if you don't choose a calling plan

Another point on the mac code process, as you have now got your line back with bt, you are free to choose any isp again and do not need a mac code, as the system will see that your line is clear (no previous isp's tag) so in effect it is the same as having a new line, avoid going full llu again , as for talk stalk did you cancel within the 30 days trial time frame? otelo may be able to assist

Last edited by tommy t; 27-September-2010 at 15:00.
Old 04-October-2010, 16:39
Mikki

Angry Re: TalkTalk customers are now able to leave their 18-month contracts freely.

I am sick of trying to sort this out with talk talk they dont provide service where i am moving to,yet they expect me to £200 for breach of contract how do i get round this.
HELP PLEASE i am moving in 2wks and have been trying to sort this with talk talk for 2mths.
Old 04-October-2010, 17:18

Why should TT be responsible for YOUR move!

It's quite clear, if you break your contract then you have to meet the costs. What's the problem. You cannot expect every ISP to be in all locations - you cannot get gas in all locations.

Pay up and avoid further hassle (and threats of legal action).
Old 04-October-2010, 17:30
Mikki

Yes but Gas/Electricity companies dont charge you if they dont provide a service in fact British Gas are going to refund me for overpayment.............
I did not know I was going to be moving when I signed the contract and now due to unforseen circumstances I am having to........
When you call Talk Talk all you get is a foriegn country telling you that they cant help you
I got told I could do a change of ownership if I printed forms off on my puter .......
Unfortunately I and several other people have tried printing forms out for me and am unable to ............
I requested the print forms off and send them out to me through the post ........... but yet again no joy .......Its Not like I haven't tried to meet their requirements ....... if they can post my bill why in gods name are they unable to send me the forms they require signing
I think that there customer services are a joke
Old 07-October-2010, 17:10
hermie

Mikki - I'm so sorry. but I'm afraid you're on a hiding to nothing with TalkTalk. They don't understand the concept of customer service or customer loyalty. They don't believe customers who leave them will ever consider coming back (who in their right mind would?), so they will pursue you for breach of contract right through to court action. I know from bitter experience and you will end up with added costs and end up paying 3 or 4 times what you initially owed. My advice to everyone is never, never be tempted by any TalkTalk offer - you will regret it. If you do sign up and want to leave, make sure you notify them by registered post so that you have proof in court (it will cost you £5 but it's money well spent). Never send a termination notice by e-mail from the 'My Account' section of their web-site. You will have no proof of sending it - it will get lost in their system and they will deny receiving it. If you do e-mail, do so from your own e-mail account and print all correspondence. But if you're e-mailing about, for example, your landline account, expect to get a reply about your Mobile account, even if you don't have a TalkTalk mobile. Don't waste time phoning - you'll get transferred to an automated Customer Satisfaction Survey and then the line will cut off. Don't bother writing to the Director of Customer Services - he won't reply.
Remember the old BT advert: "It's good to talk"? Well it's not good to TalkTalk.
They're advertising slogan should be: See you in CourtCourt!
Old 20-May-2013, 23:01

yes i also hread same as u said
Old 22-May-2013, 16:27

Talking Re: TalkTalk customers are now able to leave their 18-month contracts freely.

kavinsmith: You do realise you are responding to a post that is two and a half years old!
Old 25-October-2015, 19:58

Yes I would say it is only fair, after an absolutely abysmal start, THEN BREAKING THE CONTRACT AND UPPING THE MONTHS FEE TO £17.40 now after ONLY 3 months, and telling us there is nothing we could do about it ...

The service often fails, and now with this cyber crack force fiasco, I'm sure this is why TALK TALK were hacked because of the stupid contract breaking, and putting millions of customers at risk because of their details, it serves them right when the company goes under ... they think they can do as they like too much in my opinion !!

Tags
amazon, bad, broadband, bt, cancellation, company, connection, email, free, happy, international, internet, isp, key, laptop, line, make, mobile, network, ofcom, offer, phone, router, scam, security, talk, talk talk, talktalk, tiscali, voucher