Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > P2P File Sharing

Old 02-July-2005, 10:45
yellit

Default Re: Emule tweak + tips guide / how to speed up emule ed2k network client

[SIZE=7][FONT=Fixedsys]Hi,
On emule under the servers heading I seem to have no connection to KAD server....when I connect.

I am also getting on start-up the following message - "no server list address entry in "address.dat" please paste a valid serverlist address into this file to auto update server lists" when I start up emule.

I have tried to reload emule but no joy....I think I need the URL for Kad to update my server on the servers tab?

When I connect is shows on the information section ...

EMULE/SERVERS Tab

Kad Network

Can you help me with this issues....
Old 02-July-2005, 10:58
Former TS! Team

Default Re: Emule tweak + tips guide / how to speed up emule ed2k network client

Kad is a serverless network. Personally I dont use it so dont know too much, however my understanding is this.

Once you have connected to the standard ed2k network over time a database of known clients is created. KAD uses this file to connect to one of the high ID known users running KAD to 'Bootstrap' from. I actually found when I did play with it that I could bootstrap using my own ip or none at all. Most of my admin'ing was via the webadmin screen which simply asks for an IP.

You must have a high ID to use KAD.

The KAD network is a serverless network (meaning no single point of failier), each connected client caches data about part of the KAD network. this does not cache files rather the known file list and clients etc. the KAD network is then searched over lots of clients to find the data. This does mean you will see people searching your KAD client for files that you do not share. This is normal.

make sure you are running the latest emule client from emule project's homepage

Also have a peak at emule's faq and section on server lists. The faq also include links to pages of constantly updated serverlists.

Last edited by Memfis; 02-July-2005 at 11:06.
Old 02-July-2005, 11:30
yellit

Cool Re: Emule tweak + tips guide / how to speed up emule ed2k network client

thanks for this,

Is there any way I can get rid of the start up issue I mentioned on start-up the following message - "no server list address entry in "address.dat" please paste a valid serverlist address into this file to auto update server lists

I have found I cannot paste anything into it as it is a video file?

Cheers!
Old 02-July-2005, 11:50
Former TS! Team

the emule faq in my links gives information on how to update these lists.
Old 02-July-2005, 14:20

Is there any way I can get rid of the start up issue I mentioned on start-up the following message - "no server list address entry in "address.dat" please paste a valid serverlist address into this file to auto update server lists

I have found I cannot paste anything into it as it is a video file?
the addresses.dat is for when you want emule to update it's server list every time it restarts (it effectivly is for urls to pages of server lists),. there's a setting somewhere to turn off 'auto update server lists' - turn it off as you don't need it

regarding KAD - first time you'll need to press 'bootstrap' on the KAD screen,. I presume you have 'use kad' turned on? (if kad is off then you won't see a KAD tab at the top).., once KAD is bootstrapped it should then be able to connect

Sil
Old 17-August-2005, 02:17
Cycotron69

Silver,

I have a 5mbps connection which usually runs at about 4.5 megs to 4.8 megs download and from what the provider says its about 350 upload.

My emule settings are:

download capacities - 4500 (download)
350 (upload)

download limits - 4500 (download)
151 (upload)

Max sources - 2500

Max limit - 5000

file buffer size - 256 kbps

que size - 5000

MK23
Originally Posted by MK23

Not sure if this helps, but your ISP is giving you your speeds in Kbits, and the eMule settings are in KBytes, so you'll need to divide your speeds by 8, so your real eMule download capacity should be 4500/8 = 562.5 KB, and upload capacity should be 350/8 = 43.75 KB. Your current upload setting is simplying saturating your network. Hope this is your fix.
Old 18-August-2005, 12:56
Big_bear

Red face Re: Emule tweak + tips guide / how to speed up emule ed2k network client

hi, i have read all the guides, tricks and tips pages and i cant get the little donkey to speed up. Please please can anyone help me! thanks
Old 18-August-2005, 13:29

hi, i have read all the guides, tricks and tips pages and i cant get the little donkey to speed up. Please please can anyone help me! thanks
Originally Posted by Big_bear
run the speed test and paste in the results from http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp

Sil

PS, welcome to TS!
Old 20-August-2005, 16:03
Big_bear

Smile Re: Emule tweak + tips guide / how to speed up emule ed2k network client

thnx Sil great help donkey running at avg of 40-45. must be that last straw to speed him up thanks again............Big_bear
Old 27-September-2005, 15:07
atta001

Dear All,

I am a new user of EMULE. My problem is that I am trying to download 3 files. Each is about 350 MB. The problem is that my client has been set to an upoload of 50 kB/s and it shows download rate of about 5 kB/s (whereas I have set my upload speed to 50 kB/s and download speed to 100 kB/s). I am on a LAN network. ANyw suggestions to enhance my download speed ?

Anxiously waiting,

Atta.
Old 01-October-2005, 22:25
Spelingmistakes

Unhappy Re: Emule tweak + tips guide / how to speed up emule ed2k network client

Hi to all
I am familiar with emule not long ago (2 months), and I will speak about one problem I noticed regarding speeding up connection.
I don’t know if you know but adsl speed isn’t always 2:1 (512/256) – I use adsl connection and my is 256/64 (next is 512/128) because of that I have problems – Regularly I can download 25-26 and upload not more than 5-6 (max 7 – regarding emule) Kb per sec. If I use emule like that everything is ok except one tiny, little thing. I can’t surf and not even to speak about getting or sending e-mails. That killing me. By your opinion that isn’t right by you and yours idea of what is good and right because someone will say – He download more than he want to share – that’s isn’t right but you set all (even connection wizard because there isn’t something which show parity like my adsl connection) to act like I am doing bad thing. When I try “little” adjusting upload speed (lowering it on 4 – THAT IS ONLY 1 number lower than 5 – which I can really upload) mechanism, which is in emule, punish me and I don’t download more than 16 – which is … hmm. I will gladly use at least 20 KB per second – normally I will gladly make my upload number higher but that isn’t possible and being on internet all day, and not check your e-mail or been unable to surf and to see and read some new things is very BAD feeling.

I am a designer – and I really love that JOB (I also love to share that - I mean knowledge and software). I even get new programs – releases – and share with all others but that’s not counts here. Any opinion about this?
One fact which is also put me in bad mood is that I yesterday get fix IP and I want to use it for making one little web server for information about design etc. If I put emule use all my resources regarding that I don’t want to be punished - my upload will be very high (it will eat all my connection) and in different words my web site will be INVISIBLE because nobody cant get trough my connection to see anything
Old 01-October-2005, 23:46

I don't think there's an easy fix,. 256/64 isn't great (well for UK it is quite slow) even without emule a website isn't going to be very fast (esp if you are serving files / images etc) - the simple solution is to get a faster connection (if possible!)

the other area to look at is whether it's a problem with your router - perhaps it is that which is making surfing / emails not possible?

Sil
Old 02-October-2005, 01:15
Spelingmistakes

Cool Re: Emule tweak + tips guide / how to speed up emule ed2k network client

No no nooo – You didn’t understand – perhaps because of my writing. When I reduce dl/up everything works perfect I only want to tell that mechanism for punishing in emule isn’t quite right way. And that you have been work on modem until two months before, adsl will be haven for you. I downloaded 43 Gb in September – that is ………… unbelievable for my friends.

Speling
Old 02-October-2005, 08:27

yeah, I understand but with emule you can't change the way it punishes, perhaps there's another version of emule that does not punish / punishes differently but I don't know of one

Sil
Old 01-November-2005, 13:38
Sarte

hello,

in my case i get low ip from the ports testing on emule and cant get it changed.
i have changed ports (to tcp 4865/udp 4875) ,opended those in my firewall(mcafee),win xp friewall is disabled

and thats the msg i get after running the test:

Testing IP: cache-los-ab05.proxy.aol.com (195.93.21.37)

Starting TCP connection test...
TCP test failed! UDP test will not be performed.

im not using router ,just adsl modem(aol,voyager 105) ...any ideas ?
Old 01-November-2005, 20:41

Hi Sarte,

Welcome to TS!

It looks like you are checking for open ports on a proxy - rather than your actual IP address. What colour are the arrows on emule itself, if they are green then you are ok

Sil
Old 02-January-2006, 00:36
konagei

I have a Low ID status (yellow arrow on the tiny global icon) and i dun noe how to make it : High ID -_-

eD2K Network
IP:Port: Unknown
ID: 10666264
Low ID

eD2K Server
Name: BiG BanG 9
Description: www.BiGBanG.to/bb9 1xOPTERON - 8GB RAM
IP:Port: 80.239.200.108:3000
Version: 17.7 (lugdunum)
Users: 195,664
Files: 25,213,482

Kad Network
IP:Port: 58.186.102.144:4672
ID: 985294480

I made a Broadband Speed Test with the link that SIlver gave above:

Results from broadband speed test recorded on Sunday, 01 January 2006, 23:08.

Downstream 156 Kbps (19.5 KB/sec) 168 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 168 Kbps (21.0 KB/sec) 181 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Im firewalled, can sumone plz help me solve this prob? (my os is win xp and i dun use any firewall prog)
Old 02-January-2006, 10:42

Hi konagei,

Welcome to TS!

Tell us a bit about your connection, do you have a router or are you using a modem only?

If you are using XP firewall then try this, under 'options' menu - goto 'connections' and click where it says 'open these ports on internal XP firewall' - see if that helps?

Sil
Old 02-January-2006, 10:51
konagei

Hi!

I use ADSL modem.

i just tried ur tip and emule said: (look at the pic above)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	emule.JPG
Views:	377
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	1368  
Old 02-January-2006, 11:33

I don't know whether you need reboot or not for the changes to take effect?

it does seem likely to be the XP firewall, I don't use XP so can't really advise too much on it,. the other thing it could be is your ISP - in some countries ISPs don't allow p2p at all (I think at this point though it's probably XP firewall - but could be a number of things)

Sil
Old 02-January-2006, 14:10
konagei

If the problem is caused by my ISP, there wont have any solution? -_-

I notice that i upload for 4-5 people at the same time but i download from others just 1-2 (almost 1) people. Is it normal or not?
Old 02-January-2006, 16:17

yes - that's normal, at least to start, if you can leave the thing running overnight or as long as possible you should see it even out (generally you'll download more than you upload but uploading is a 'good thing')

Sil
Old 02-January-2006, 19:43
konagei

At this moment, i upload for 6 but download from 12 ppl. Its great becuz my files are going to be finished soon. Hope i can get this "luck" for long

Thanks Sil
Old 02-January-2006, 19:45
konagei

Oops, forget to ask 1 more question.

Does servers choice affect our download speed?
Old 02-January-2006, 21:26

Oops, forget to ask 1 more question.

Does servers choice affect our download speed?
Originally Posted by konagei
if you have a 'low id' then you are putting extra strain onto the server and some servers are very loaded - so that might cause a slowdown of sorts.

generally if you have a high-id then the server is just a directory of sharers, so usually you just find a well populated server that has a reasonable ping - using kad will also allow you to find more ppl with the files you want

Sil
Old 03-January-2006, 18:41
Former TS! Team

eMule uses source exchange. It works like this :

an emule server you are connected to will provide a short list of random clients that have the file you are looking for. You then connect to these clients and join their queue. At the same time it also asks these clients if they know any other clients with your file. This is source exchange. Theoretically through source exchange you should find every available client.

Kad is a distributed directory where each client holds a portion of the database, meaning if servers are unavailable you can still locate clients.

Last edited by Memfis; 03-January-2006 at 18:59.
Old 06-January-2006, 21:41
konagei

Oh thx Silver and Memfis... I got a high ID now cuz of my modem and i config it Its more fast !!!

Thx again guys!
Old 17-March-2006, 00:10
eltoro

Hi everyone,
I have a dsl internet with a modem 764/256. I never really get d/l speed more than 25kb/s(maybe its high) but the thing is I get it really not often. Even if i wait 5-10hrs it is the same. It is kinda internesting how come with all the other download softwares like bittorrent,azeurus,bitcomet, emule, i never get more than 25kb/s, it is stange. Maybe my internet has a 'cap' or something? i read in forum most of the people downloading torrent files, have the d/l speed above 40kb/s. I have all the necessery ports opened for all the d/l programs do i have. Windows firewall is shut down
Old 03-April-2006, 17:12
Buzzer

Hi,

I have just started using eMule and thinks it's really cool!

I had a low ID and have used the tips on here to try to improve it. I'm not brilliant with computers but, after fiddling around, I've managed to get a green arrow on the top of the connection globe symbol. Thanks a million Sil!!!

I am using a wanadoo livebox which I have set to forward the eMule ports. I have also adjusted my firewall (norton internet security) setting for eMule to "permit all" (is that wise?)

I still have a low id, the bottom arrow is yellow. The max download speed I've achieved so far is 16Kb/s, but on average it's 3Kb/s.

Can anyone give me some pointers to help improve my id?

Cheers
Old 03-April-2006, 17:54

Hi Buzzer,

welcome to TS!

the top arrow on the globe is 'kad', the bottom arrow is ed2k network, so it sounds like you may need to recheck the settings.

under 'options' > 'connections' look-see what ports you are using for the client port (esp the tcp one) and make sure that is mapped at your router (livebox).

try the connection tester linked from the text at http://www.edonkey2000.com/documenta...reachable.html that will tell you whether you have set things up right.

regards the personal firewall (norton) - really that is your choice - my own personal feeling is you are more likely (so far anyway) to get into trouble with downloading something dodgy by accident (e.g. virus) than you are with letting the outside world connect to your ed2k client,. just check that you are using the latest emule client now and again and all should be well

Sil

Tags
broadband, bt, cable, connection, credit, fake, file sharing, files, free, google, internet, isp, key, line, make, modem, nat, netgear, network, phone, public, router, screen, share, sharing, slow, software, speed, speeds, web