Old 26-October-2008, 15:23
Craigant

Default Router

I've been with AOL for around 5-6 years and I've always been using the standard USB voyager modem. However, I'm in need of a router because I want to connect my PS3 to the internet to play with some friends. Can AOL provide me with a router or do I have to go out and purchase my own? I'm not very good when it comes to routers or any form of hardware, so can anyone reccomend me a decent router?

Thank you!

Edit: A few months ago I was going to cancel AOL and go with SKY, however I never went through with it, but I do have a router which they sent me. Will this router work or is specifically made to work with SKY?

Last edited by Craigant; 26-October-2008 at 15:29. Reason: Frgot something
Old 26-October-2008, 16:14
Fuel = Coffee & Smoke

Default Re: Router

Not sure about the sky router, but if u want a wifi modem/router (gateway) get a Linksys WAG54g

Spot on and will sort u out

IM
Old 27-October-2008, 14:00
Screamager

if it is the netgear router then it would need flashing ect before you could use it for a different isp, as i think sky put some details for access to the network in that you apparently cannot just change,check out the unofficial sky forums,
Old 28-October-2008, 01:06
xboxgaz

I've been with AOL for around 5-6 years and I've always been using the standard USB voyager modem. However, I'm in need of a router because I want to connect my PS3 to the internet to play with some friends. Can AOL provide me with a router or do I have to go out and purchase my own? I'm not very good when it comes to routers or any form of hardware, so can anyone reccomend me a decent router?

Thank you!
Originally Posted by Craigant View Post
When Aol is working, which it seams to be at the mo, it works fine with the PS3. Yes it does use Peer to peer networking, but Aol have assured me that they allow the PSNetwork to run P2P for gaming etc.

I use a Netgear DG834v3, and it works fine.

Just remember you will need to open the required ports to get the PS3 from Nat3 to Nat2 for online gaming.

Portforward.com will tell you how to do it, and the online PS3 manual will tell you which ports are required.
Old 28-October-2008, 07:02
Screamager

normally that would be the case,a router will/should work with any isp,unless it's locked to just 1,thats if the router is a netgear, it maybe a skybox, tv and bb in 1 unit

Tags
aol, forward, internet, isp, line, modem, nat, netgear, network, online, router, sky, voyager