Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > Broadband Internet Access

Old 01-August-2009, 15:56
ssdangerdoom

Default Gears of war 2 Xbox Live Extreme Lag

OK. After spilling water on my zoom ADSL X6 router/modem i decided to go buy another one, but upon reaching best buy, they informed me they were out of them, so despret to play some Xbox rather then waiting for the same model, i would just buy a new one, so i did.

I bought a NetGear DG834Gv4 router/modem, and upon doing that i got it home and after a very long, very confusing setup process i got it working.

Well then i thought "Hey, why not play some gears" so i hop on the XBL and get in a game and the differences were immediatly noticable.

I was loading the menu, but by the time it had even loaded, the game was started and i was laaaaging, and when i say lagging, i mean hard time, like jumping when i run and shooting 30 shots and it not registuring until a couple seconds had passed. so then i thought "Oh, must just be a bad game"

So i hop into another server and get the same results, and i have tried to play several times afterwards and gotten the exact same results every single time. and prior to my new NetGear router/modem i had no trouble at all and almost never got lag.

So i decided to investigate, and the first thing i came across was NAT, so i decided to follow the set up and open my nat to my Xbox, but to no avail, then i thought maybe it was my fire wall, so i made my firewall on my router open,but that didnt seem to work either and I continued to get a crappy laggy connection.

Anyone have any advice at all? maybe i should retry the nat thing? or what? anything guys im beggin here.

any help or advice is appreciated!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, on my old and new router/modem everything has been 100% wired.

Last edited by ssdangerdoom; 01-August-2009 at 17:15.
Old 01-August-2009, 18:36
Screamager

Default Re: Gears of war 2 Xbox Live Extreme Lag

i;would not think that it would be down to the router,could be the settings(way its configured),or that something else is using bandwidth at the same time causing lag,or may even be the master server at fault,does it not display the ping times to each game?, the only way i would say it could be down to the router is if it is faulty,or if it simply do not like your xbox console some routers don't,do some ping tests such as to the bbc.co.uk or the game server you connect to ,it could even be your Internet connection,
Old 01-August-2009, 19:47
ssdangerdoom

well i mean i have tried fiddleing with the routers config and it doesnt seem to help at all, and if it was my master server i would see some impared performance on my web browser, and it doesnt seem to run any slower then with my old router so i have no friggen clue whats going on but it is very very frustrating.
Old 02-August-2009, 01:43
ssdangerdoom

Ok well apparentally i found that it was my Ports being blocked, but i have no idea how to forward them, if anyone has any guide on how to open ports on a NetGear DG834Gv4 for my Xbox 360 i would appreciate it alot.
Old 02-August-2009, 15:02
Screamager

have a look here:http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/N101145.asp

or here:http://portforward.com/
or netgear site :http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2326

one or all should help you config it properly,also don't connect the xbox via wireless,as this can cause lag too

Last edited by tommy t; 02-August-2009 at 15:11.
Old 03-August-2009, 13:49
ssdangerdoom

thanks M8 it worked perfectly
Old 03-August-2009, 16:46
Screamager

glad you sorted it,

Tags
adsl, bad, bbc, connection, files, forward, gears, home, internet, lag, modem, nat, netgear, router, settings, web, wireless, xbox, zoom