Please help, I have a problem which is using my memory up every time I go online. The warning about running low on memory (under 200mb) kept appearing, even if I was downloading nothing, memory was still being used. I could free up disk space by erasing temporary internet files etc, but the rate the memory was being used was greater than the space I could free up. I erased exel, this gave me loads of space, but gradually all this was used - on what I dont know as I haven't been downloading anything. I the reduced the system restore memory to the lowest setting, this freed up loads of memory, but still, after a month or two, the warning about the 200mb situation is happening again. Yesterday the warning came up, I clicked on the 'free up space now' button, but no sooner had I cleaned the temporary files, the warning came up again, this time saying I had LESS memory than before I had erased the temp internet files 20 secs previously! Something is being stored somewhere in the memory and I have no idea what, or where! Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?
Re: Memory depletion
1. If some program is writing to the hdd, then there must be a huge file(s) somewhere in your hdd. This can be caused by
(a) some spyware / keylogger programs which records all keyboard activity and also captures screen.
(b) You've enabled logging for some programs like firewall or any monitoring applications which loads automatically when windows boots up. Normally the extension for this type of files is .log.
(c) You've a tv tuner / all in one card continuously recording video to your harddisk while you are online.
2. You or somebody must have set the pagefile size to some very low value or disabled it.
3. Your memory (RAM) is faulty or somebody has changed your your ram.
Now let's see what can be done:
Assuming you are running windows xp. While booting, press F8 continuously till you get the boot options screen. Choose "safe mode" as boot option.
1. Do a search for any files having size greater than 100mb preferabily for C drive. (Tips: leave file name blank, choose "what size is it" option and select "specify size in kb" and enter 100000. Now choose "more advanced options" and select the first three options in it mainly "select system folders, search hidden folders and search hidden folders". Now click search).
Also try searching for any files greater than 10 mb also.
If you find any and it has an extension of "log", delete it. Otherwise consult / search in google for that file type and delete only if it's safe to do so.
Do a final search for any files / folder named "temp" and "tmp" (remember to change back the file size option back to the default ie, "don't remember". Just check the size of each folders and delete all it's contents but spare the folder.
2. Do a complete virus and spyware scan while in safe mode. For spyware scan try "spybot - search and destroy" or "adaware se". Pls ensure your programs are upto date. Look for any virus / keylogger type or spyware programs and delete.
Now try rebooting pc normally.
3. If recording is enabled for your tv tuner card, disable it.
4. Check all running programs, preferabily those having icons in system tray and uncheck all logging / archiving (ex: firewall, antivirus (?), internet / bandwidth monitering etc)
5. Check the page file size. (START--> CONTROL PANEL --> SYSTEM --> ADVANCED --> SETTINGS --> ADVANCED --> CHANGE (under virtual memory). Don't forget to click on "SET" after enabling "system managed size". Another option will be "CUSTOM SIZE", enter a value 1.5 times higher than your ram as initial and twice that value as maximum, press set, then ok. Reboot.
6. Right click on "my computer", select "properties" and ensure your ram size is still same as original one.
7. Download any memory testing utility and check the ram for any leaks / defect.
8. Finally open "RUN" from startmenu and type "msconfig" . Goto STARTUP, have a look at all the programs that load on startup along with your pc and uncheck any that you are sure are not needed. If you are in doubt, search in google for more information by typing the full name.
Hope this helps. my 2 cents.
Last edited by prying eyes; 10-January-2005 at 23:14.
|computer, files, free, google, harddisk, hdd, internet, line, online, screen, settings, virus, windows|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|memory speed||Tony||Hardware||10||07-June-2004 15:00|
|Help with upgrading?||fabienne00||Hardware||18||27-October-2002 22:11|
|Memory Problems?||ShelaghG||Hardware||4||21-October-2001 06:30|