Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Networking

Old 27-January-2005, 09:05
Safe Sane Consensual

Default Duplicate Administrators

My desktop and laptop seem to be having a dispute as to who is in charge!!!

After running the laptop on the internet the Belkin page on the desktop (xxx.xxx.2.1) won't allow a log-in on the grounds that there is a duplicate administrator. (xxx.xxx.2.2) that seems to log on to 2.1.

Can't right now see how to log off the laptop as even if I use the Belkin "disconnect" and turn the laptop off the desktop still give the duplicate administrator message and won't function.

Is there a simple answer? Help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 27-January-2005, 09:10
BiTbOt

Default Re: Duplicate Administrators

have you been using remote desktop at all? and could you give us more details about your network setup and which windows versions etc. also just to note win xp has a hidden administrator account so its probably unwise to name another account administrator. but you may have several accounts who are members of the administratots group. give more info and well see if we can help
Old 27-January-2005, 09:56
Safe Sane Consensual

Thanks BiTbOt

I don't very often put the laptop (running on XP Home) on the internet but did so this morning to update XP, Virus tables and firewall.

The laptop has a wireless connection to a Belkin router.

The desktop operates on W98SE and has a hard connection to the router.

I've just logged off the laptop and turned it off.

Whilst the duplicate administrator message still appears on the desktop start of the browser home page (the Belkin log on screen) I can access the internet by clicking on an alternative bookmark. This could not be done before I logged off the laptop and just closed it down.
Old 30-January-2005, 23:08
BiTbOt

if your browser on both machines points its home page to the belkin routers internal menu(built in webpage) you will get a message concerning duplicate admin. As two computers are trying to acces the routers built in webpage.

try changing the homepage to a normal webpage and keep the belkin router webpage as a link. Routers rarely allow to users access to their configuration pages.

as a rule you should not set the routers menu/configuration page as the home page of a browser as this causes it to login to the configuration menu of the router - and only one pc can do that at once. Also if possible set a passwaord to this built in page to prevent just anyone accessing the routers configuration.

I genrated a similar message on my 3com router thats how i have worked out what you might be experiencing.

let me know if that helps - i dont always explain things well
Old 31-January-2005, 15:29
Safe Sane Consensual

Well done. Thanks BiTbOt I think you have got this one solved.....

The key I think is the need to log out

I recall setting up these home pages because I could not always be sure of getting a connection when opening Outlook Express, Explorer (desktop and laptop) or FireFox (desktop)

The other problem I have yet to sort out is playing DVD's from the laptop onto a television set I'll pop the thread up again.
Old 01-February-2005, 00:58
BiTbOt

Thankyou for the feedback its nice to know Ive been of use. Im studying Microsoft xertification exams at the moment and find the scream a useful place for revision.

Tags
belkin, connection, home, internet, key, laptop, network, router, screen, virus, windows, wireless