Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > Broadband Internet Access

Old 05-September-2006, 18:48
gonemad

Default Netgear DG834G wireless router

I am trying to install a Netgear DG834G wireless router however I can't get the installiation completed because I am having to use the ADSL connection I already have to connnect to the internet to finish the installation. So my ADSL line is in use and it says that it cant find any ADSL connection to the router because I am having to use it to connect to the net. Any ideas what I'm supposed to do?
Thanks
Old 05-September-2006, 19:55
Quaver

Default Re: Netgear DG834G wireless router

I have Netgear DG834GT, not exactly the same but I hope it's similar.
I think you are supposed to take the USB ADSL off from your PC. The router has ADSL modem built-in, so you don't need it.
Have you connected the Netgear to phone line & to your PC via ethernet?
After that go to http://192.168.0.1/start.htm and you should be fine.
Old 06-September-2006, 06:59
gonemad

Let me try to make it a bit clearer....

I get up to the point where I goto http://192.168.0.1/ and enter my password but then it says ADSL line not detected, make sure you have the router connected to an ADSL phone socket.

But how can I connect my router up to the socket if my speedtouch modem is plugged in to the socket (I have to be connected to the internet to view http://192.168.0.1/) do you understand what I mean now?
Old 06-September-2006, 09:12
DavidC

But how can I connect my router up to the socket if my speedtouch modem is plugged in to the socket (I have to be connected to the internet to view http://192.168.0.1/) do you understand what I mean now?
Originally Posted by gonemad View Post
There is a bit of confusion going on here,

First disconnect your ADSL MODEM connection and plug the ADSL lead (or use the lead supplied with the router) into the router ADSL cable socket

Second connect to your router via the LAN cable (or wireless but stick to wired first) just type in the 192.x number as above this is a local network connection the internet is not required for this.

You should be able to complete the setup now - there should have been a quick setup guide covering this supplied with the router.
Old 06-September-2006, 10:14
gonemad

There is a bit of confusion going on here,

First disconnect your ADSL MODEM connection and plug the ADSL lead (or use the lead supplied with the router) into the router ADSL cable socket

Second connect to your router via the LAN cable (or wireless but stick to wired first) just type in the 192.x number as above this is a local network connection the internet is not required for this.

You should be able to complete the setup now - there should have been a quick setup guide covering this supplied with the router.
Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
I tried this but when I type in the 192.x number it says page cannot be displayed (the same error message you get when you try to connect to the internet when your not online) I have the ethernet cable connected to my pc and the router is connected to the phone socket via the cable supplied. So why is it saying 'page cannot be displayed' if that web address is a local network?
Old 06-September-2006, 10:57
Screamager

Try WWW.routerlogin.net see if that gets you there ! if not
you may want to make sure the router is in default condition.
Locate the reset button, engage it with the tip of a pen, remove power, apply power while holding the reset for approx 30 secs.
Allow router to self test (the yellow tick will go out)
If you can get to the router pages, run the wizard on the top left on page 1.
Hope this helps.
PS I have had some Netgear stuff using either
192.168.0.1 and
192.168.1.1 for login
Old 06-September-2006, 13:07
DavidC

If this is the first time you are using the router for the net connection you may need to set the browser to never dial a connection (especially IE go to tools|Internet Options|connection to do this Also on this page is a LAN settings buton click this and on the popup ensure all boxes are unticked)
Also check your Lan is set to receive IP and DNS automatically from the router (it should be if you can get the pages when connected to the net).
You can test the connection to the router by running 'ping 192.168.0.1'

What OS and browser are you using?
Old 06-September-2006, 13:36
Zer02004

Disconnect, uninstall the USB modem and any associated software and reboot.
Open the Control Panel>>>Internet Options applet.
On the "Connections" tab, select "Never Dial A Connection".
OK out of the applet.
Connect your router to the computers ethernet card and to the telephone line.
Open Internet Explorer or any other browser and enter http://192.168.1.1 or perhaps http://192.168.0.1 into the address bar. Your router manual should tell you which you need to use.
Old 06-September-2006, 17:37
gonemad

Disconnect, uninstall the USB modem and any associated software and reboot.
Open the Control Panel>>>Internet Options applet.
On the "Connections" tab, select "Never Dial A Connection".
OK out of the applet.
Connect your router to the computers ethernet card and to the telephone line.
Open Internet Explorer or any other browser and enter http://192.168.1.1 or perhaps http://192.168.0.1 into the address bar. Your router manual should tell you which you need to use.
Originally Posted by Zer02004 View Post
I tried this but I'm still getting exactly the same problem. I did notice that the wireless connection light on the router does not come on, should it be coming on along with the internet, power and pc lights?
Old 06-September-2006, 17:50
DavidC

I tried this but I'm still getting exactly the same problem. I did notice that the wireless connection light on the router does not come on, should it be coming on along with the internet, power and pc lights?
Originally Posted by gonemad View Post
Ignore the wireless for now, it's best to set the router up via a wired LAN connection this includes setting up the wireless link, then you should look at connecting via WLAN.

On my Linksys Router the WLAN light comes on all the time and flashes to indicate activity.
Old 06-September-2006, 19:53
Quaver

In my Netgear, 1st the power light goes green, then the tick flashes yellow, and goes green, then disappears. then number 1 goes green, then the wireless, then the 'i' goes green.

When it's finished, there's 4 green lights altogether, power, wireless, i and Number 1.
The 'i' flashes whenever there's activity on the net (normal).

Wireless always turns green, even before I bought anything wireless.

Are you sure everything is plugged in OK?
What does you Network connection (in control panel) say about your Local Area connection?
Does it say connected? If it has red cross on it, then right click and click enable.

Last edited by Quaver; 06-September-2006 at 21:01.
Old 07-September-2006, 08:48
DavidC

As you have been on usb ADSL then you should have a software firewall installed. Have you tried disabling this? and connecting to the router via LAN.
If you are uncomfortable about disabling the firewall leave the ADSL cable out of the router while you test. The router has a firewall (I think!!) of its own, mine has but I still use software firewalls just so I know which programs are trying to get onto the web.

Last edited by DavidC; 07-September-2006 at 08:55.
Old 16-November-2006, 11:52
erdie

I have had the Netgear DG834G for a few months now. When I first got it I managed to set it up okay, but when I opened the browser it was saying page cannot be displayed. I called Netgear who did talk me through the problem told me to make some changes to the setup on the pc and it seemed to work fine. I have now got a new laptop which I have tried connected to the router the but I am once again getting the page cannot be display page. To save me phoning Netgear again does anyone know what settings need to be changed so that I can access the internet.
erdie
Old 16-November-2006, 13:01
Optimistic Curmudgeon

Have you read the previous posts ?
Old 16-November-2006, 18:58
pilo

do you have a lan card on your pc and/or the lan drivers installed?
Old 16-November-2006, 23:40
thumpert

Is the lan card on the computer set to obtain IP and DNS automatically? If you don't know whether it is? Go to Start Menu in XP select Connect to and select show all connections. Select the ethernet adapter and select properties. Highlight TCP/IP and select properties and see that Obtain IP address automatically radio button is selected and Obtain DNS Server address radio button is selected. You may need to reboot for the changes to take effect.

Tags
adsl, cable, computer, connection, dg834g, dns, internet, laptop, lights, line, make, modem, netgear, network, online, phone, router, settings, software, speed, speedtouch, talk, web, wireless