Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > TalkTalk

Old 31-May-2007, 13:09
Unknown1234

Default Talktalk connection problems

Hello,

I have been with TalkTalk since August of last year, and aside from some short term glitches, had no major problems. Last month I was upgraded to 8mb, and experienced no issues at all at first. However, since last monday, my connection has slowed to ridiculous levels (20 Kilobits/s on speedtest.net). PingPlotter shows it's like this from around 8am, then at around midnight, I suddenly have a full speed connection again (3000 odd on speedtest).
Having searched around various broadband forums I don't see anyone with this daily speed cycle, anyone have any ideas?

P.S: I am connected to a Netgear DG834GT with a Belkin wireless ethernet adaptor (connecting directly to router does'nt help).
Old 31-May-2007, 18:43
rkeane

Default Re: Talktalk connection problems

hi mate same problem with me
phoned them about 10 times about it and they say im downloading too much
40gb a month what a laugh never been near it and still getting throttled.
what is broadband for ffs? to down your heart out with no worries until now.
they use a FAIR USE POLICY to skin the money off you without really stating it at the beginnign which was ultra fast doing 700mb in 20 mins, now im lucky if i can do it in 2 days
Old 31-May-2007, 21:35
GaynorB

I wonder if this is similar to the problem I have been having - I posted a while back - intermittent broadband. It is getting worse not better!! Sometimes it is perfect for several minutes at a time, and others it works to open one page - then won't open another for up to a minute (or longer, sometimes have to give up and come back later in the hope it's better). Worse than dial up in some ways, as at least that works eventually. It is driving me nuts!! If anyone from TalkTalk reads these posts perhaps he could look into what is happening. Speaking to TalkTalk is usually a total waste of time, though I haven't tried recently - trying to keep relatively calm about it. I don't download films or music so cannot be anywhere near the download limit - unless someone has managed to hack into my wireless broadband! And if someone has please tell me how as can't get my laptop to connect even with the password, let alone without it!
I suppose this is a case of you get what you pay for - and you can't knock TalkTalk for value - as long as you are a patient person!!!!!!
Old 31-May-2007, 22:01
Unknown1234

I guess maybe you do get what you pay for. After almost a year of having no real problems I was thinking it was too good to be true, now I understand how all these frustrated customers' feel .
During the day my connection is actually slower than a 56k modem, I downloaded some free antivirus software, a 9mb file that took an hour to download, at times going at 2.5KB/s. What really gets me is that even though TalkTalk supposedly throttle p2p traffic to ensure decent speeds for everyone for everyday stuff, I seem to be getting the reverse, a ridiculously slow browsing service in the day, that eases off and becomes fast at night
Through checking my router logs, I don't seem to be getting disconnected like you Gaynor, but when i reset the router it does take a good couple of minutes to connect again.

Last edited by Unknown1234; 31-May-2007 at 22:03. Reason: Can't spell!!!
Old 10-July-2007, 19:46
Andythevideoman

Thanks , I couldnt understand what was happining to my connection it slowed down one day and now i cant down load from any P2P took commputer back to factory settings and tried again, if i run a speed test no problem reads about 2 Meg but totally refuses to download form P2P connects to seeds and Peers and thats it nothing.
Having read here those bast***s at talk talk throttled me i will be on the phone first thing in the morning.
I never downloaded anywhere near 40Gig, lucky if it is 12 to 14Gig in total and as for the fair use policy i was never told what times this applied to.

will report back with what they tell me.
Old 16-July-2007, 09:37
andythevideoman

ok they said there was nothing on file to say my broadband was blocked only that an engineer will look at it and they will send an email to let me know, however the strange thing they did tell me was not to use the p2p groups until the end of July?

so i will wait and see
Old 14-August-2007, 18:48
MickY G

Well, it seems I have just made the biggest cock-up of my life! I went live with Talk Talk only last week (08/08/2007) and to date, I have had nothing but slow downloads and constantly not being able to get onto websites as IE keeps saying there is a connection problem but when I run a test and repair, it then tell me there is nothing wrong with the Internet connection? So far, I have not had to suffer any disconnections though. I am also having severe problems with P2P as its so slow ALL the time and not just between certain hours. I phoned Talk Talk this afternoon and got through to, wait for it.......India yet again (same as conning BT) and they tell me that they and the modem don't support P2P. What the hell is the use of being on Broadband if we can't use P2P (I wasn't aware of reading that in the small print)? I use uTorrent at the moment (though I have tried most of them and all with the same problem) and there is always a constant yellow or red triangle, when it should be green. It tells me there is something wrong with my network that is not allowing others to use my file sharing etc but when I check the network Vista tells me everything is OK? So, I have been reading on here of all the problems that people are having with Talk Talk. The only reason I went with them really is because I have family in Australia, Malta and America. I am still not out of my 30 day trial yet though, so I may well cancel and forget about them for good! Is there actually a way that I can use P2P without it being so slow. I was with BT before but I got so much grief from them cocking up in India, that it took 6 months for them to get a Senior Customer Services Manager to speak to me, rebate my bill by over 200 and give me the wireless phones I was renting from them by way of a goodwill gesture and an apology. Are any if these ISP's worth their salt? It seems to me not one?
Old 14-August-2007, 19:35
TalkTalkBoy

Take a read of http://www.talktalk.co.uk/talktalk/s...owFAQ=P2PALLOW

Also ive heard that if you use utorrent you get past the talktalk traffic shaping by encrypting your connection.
Old 14-August-2007, 20:23
MickY G

Hi TalkTalkBoy. Thanks for the advice. I believe that I have checked the box to encrypt the connection in uTorrent (a least I think thats what I did). Not very cluey on things like this I am afraid. I will have a read of that link now. It just seems so stupid as I phoned Talk this afternoon and they ran a line test and informed me that I was going out at 8.1Mbps, yet when I checked the speed at adslguide, as the Talk lady suggested, it was only 6.6Mbps Down and 0.4Mbps Up! I only live about 730 metres from my local exchange and was getting much better than that with even BT and 8.1 with another ISP I was with. I just read the article on this site about the unofficial connection of the SmartAX MT882 modem that they sent me last week. It seems very interesting but very confusing for someone like me. I couldn't use the softwae installation disc as I am running Vista Ultimate and athough the modem is Vista compatible, the software for it isn't? Now there's logic for you! Right, off to read that artilce now and cheers again (anything to get this thing going faster on the Internet)!
Old 09-March-2009, 18:54
andythevideoman

well, it seems i have just made the biggest cock-up of my life! I went live with talk talk only last week (08/08/2007) and to date, i have had nothing but slow downloads and constantly not being able to get onto websites as ie keeps saying there is a connection problem but when i run a test and repair, it then tell me there is nothing wrong with the internet connection? So far, i have not had to suffer any disconnections though. I am also having severe problems with p2p as its so slow all the time and not just between certain hours. I phoned talk talk this afternoon and got through to, wait for it.......india yet again (same as conning bt) and they tell me that they and the modem don't support p2p. What the hell is the use of being on broadband if we can't use p2p (i wasn't aware of reading that in the small print)? I use utorrent at the moment (though i have tried most of them and all with the same problem) and there is always a constant yellow or red triangle, when it should be green. It tells me there is something wrong with my network that is not allowing others to use my file sharing etc but when i check the network vista tells me everything is ok? So, i have been reading on here of all the problems that people are having with talk talk. The only reason i went with them really is because i have family in australia, malta and america. I am still not out of my 30 day trial yet though, so i may well cancel and forget about them for good! Is there actually a way that i can use p2p without it being so slow. I was with bt before but i got so much grief from them cocking up in india, that it took 6 months for them to get a senior customer services manager to speak to me, rebate my bill by over 200 and give me the wireless phones i was renting from them by way of a goodwill gesture and an apology. Are any if these isp's worth their salt? It seems to me not one?
Originally Posted by micky g View Post
go to sky max no limit on p2p....
Old 11-March-2009, 10:14
TalkTalkBoy

All ISPs will throttle P2P traffic to a certain extent. Talktalk use dynamic traffic shaping e.g during peak hours P2P traffic will be cut back, when the network traffic drops the amount of bandwidth allocated to this will be increased.
Old 18-June-2009, 12:36
oldtommo37

I have had a lot of trouble connecting to the internet, over the past couple of
weerks, since I signed on with you.
Your so called help number, 08704441820 proved to be worse than useless. I found myself going round in circles and getting no response other than a voices confirming my ursername and such like, before the line closed down. I spent about two hours, mucking about, trying to get some response from this dud number - but to no avail.
I have received a gigantic bill from BT to terminating my connection with them, which they had kept pretty quiet about, until they dumped it on me.
Anyway, hopefully nobody will ask me about my Talktalk experience or I shall be obliged to tell them, "Don't bother!"
Over all, in my humble view, matey, cheap it ain't!
Regards,
T
Old 18-June-2010, 19:50
margaretedwards

Unhappy Re: Talktalk connection problems

I got a letter on 27 May regarding my welcome pack and confirmation date. To date I have received neither. Could you please let me know the present situation. Phone calls to-day
have not been answered (18 June) With thanks
Margaret Edwards
Old 19-June-2010, 12:24
Screamager

All ISPs will throttle P2P traffic to a certain extent. Talktalk use dynamic traffic shaping e.g during peak hours P2P traffic will be cut back, when the network traffic drops the amount of bandwidth allocated to this will be increased.
Originally Posted by TalkTalkBoy View Post
Not true, the isp i'm with does not block or shape p2p at any time certainly never in the past 2 years, there are also a few other isp's that don't shape throttle p2p, they include be* sky, and even certain ip stream products that are resold through certain isp's too, but they cost more,and or they will have a cap on usage, where as the named isp's are truly unlimited so is mine

Old 12-July-2010, 00:08
Marie2010

Angry Re: Talktalk connection problems

Our connection has never been perfect but it was good. Since 3 days ago, we cannot do anything at all. I can't connect 2 Xbox live(Which we pay for), pc games(Which i also pay monthly for) or nothing. I also have my Sky on xbox and i can't do nothing about it! I couldn't even open up my internet until today! Please please help. I'm not allowed to cancel my Talk talk broadband without being charged either! Fair? I think not. I pay for this and a bunch of other stuff i can't use! Why are this company even allowed to be up and running is beyond me! 4 days now, and counting. It might not be a lot to other people but i can't watch MY tv, play MY games, or even talk to my long distance friends and family! WTFFFFF>?
Old 23-July-2010, 15:14
Lando

Well, I got a courtesy call from TalkTalk earlier offering me unlimited downloads, internation etc etc all for 26 ish a month, the problem is they reminded me I went into contract with them 12 months ago.

I download very little, mainly stuff I missed on tv so I can watch on the laptop, however today I notice I will be downloading nothing by the looks of things with TalkTalk, 1kB/s isn't going to break any fair use policy.

I am using uTorrent and tried a few buttons without success to encrypt the connection (not obvious) but it looks now like it's time to move my isp to O2 or Sky.
Old 23-July-2010, 21:40
Screamager

TalkTalk throttles/shapes,and has dire support, but it is a budget isp after all

maybe you would consider using a vpn such as this one https://www.ipredator.se/?lang=en that may work, but in any event it will prevent the mandelscum anti piracy brigade getting your real ip address

Tags
belkin, broadband, bt, company, connection, dg834g, email, file sharing, free, hack, internet, isp, line, modem, money off, netgear, network, phone, settings, sharing, sky, slow, software, speed, speeds, talk, talk talk, talktalk, voices, wireless, xbox