Old 29-June-2007, 13:07
carLOSS

Default Insurance claim with no MOT

Hi all
Thought I'd post here after reading a post from someone who was in a similar situation. View post

However, the result was never posted so I dont know what happened.

So here's the picture...

One morning I was driving my Y reg Astra and realised I was about to miss my turning. I put my foot on the brake (quite hard) and turned the wheel only to find that the edge of my (rather large) foot was caught on the accelerator. Before I had chance to do anything at all I had hit the traffic lights, which damaged them and my car quite badly.

I somehow managed to get the car home in my dazed and confused, but luckily uninjured state and proceeded to sort out the matter of making a claim.

Now, a week later I have been told by the inspector that the car is a write off. That in itself was sort of expected, BUT I have just realised that my MOT expired about 5 weeks ago and now I'm starting to pannick.

Im worried that I could be footing a very large bill for the outstanding finance on the car, damage to traffic lights not to mention a substantial fine and points if my insurance decides not to pay out.

I am actually quite amazed that so far not once person has asked to see my MOT certificate, (and that includes the police who came to my home and did an incident report), but I know that now the car has been written off its only a matter of time before they do.

I read an article from the Times online that states that no MOT does NOT mean no insurance, but I would like to get some opinions or advice on what ACTUALLY happens in circumstances such as mine.

Any posts on this subject would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Old 29-June-2007, 18:09

Default Re: Insurance claim with no MOT

just put the claim in as normal and see what happens?

Sil
Old 29-June-2007, 21:39
Safe Sane Consensual

Before putting in the claim consider this answer to a similar question by DanJ who states he is a Claims Negotiatior.

UK Answers MOT and Insurance Claim

Presumably the car has been off the road for repairs and you were just taking it to an MOT station that does tests without appointments

The link you provided to The Times article though offers hope...

Almost always wrong. The Association of British Insurers (ABI) says that insurance policies will still pay out in full on any third party claims, and in the case of damage to or theft of your own vehicle, payouts may be reduced to reflect the lower market value of a car without an MoT.
Old 30-June-2007, 00:23
kedwardske

Your way out of line here!!!

At the mo' I'm paying thousands of pounds each year for insurance for the me, the wife and 2 x 18 year olds, The 18 yr olds have a massive excess policy......but each insurance is subject to the insured cars being 'legal' to drive.

Yours was not!!!

Myself I get a reminder every year when my MOT is due.....don't you?
Old 30-June-2007, 07:16
Safe Sane Consensual

At least CarLOSS is insured and covered for third party liability if not his own losses!!!!!

It's those who pay no insurance, no road fund and no MOT who are the problem............
Old 03-July-2007, 18:55
Screamager

Insurers will pay where there is no MOT - you are still insured with no MOT.

But the car will be valued as it is ie a car with no MOT - I'm surprised it was worth taking Comp cover on a Y Reg Astra, basically you won't get much [maybe nothing if you have a large excess] but they will pay the third party claim for damage to street furniture.
Old 04-July-2007, 15:00
Screamette

Your way out of line here!!!

At the mo' I'm paying thousands of pounds each year for insurance for the me, the wife and 2 x 18 year olds, The 18 yr olds have a massive excess policy......but each insurance is subject to the insured cars being 'legal' to drive.

Yours was not!!!

Myself I get a reminder every year when my MOT is due.....don't you?
Originally Posted by kedwardske View Post

Just because someone forgets to MOT their vehicle does NOT mean that vehicle was unroadworthy.

Do what Worldlife says
Presumably the car has been off the road for repairs and you were just taking it to an MOT station that does tests without appointments
Old 07-July-2007, 22:51
kedwardske

Just because someone forgets to MOT their vehicle does NOT mean that vehicle was unroadworthy.

Do what Worldlife says
Originally Posted by Tia View Post
Just because I've had two pints does NOT mean that I'm incapable of driving.
But the law says I am...same as the law says that you have to get an over 3 year old car checked for roadworthyness every year....btw I Never drink & drive!!!!

If the car has been been off the road for repairs and you were just taking it to an MOT station that does tests without appointments 'fair enough' claim thro' your insurance .... but if it hasn't and you've been driving illegally for the last 5 weeks, then I think that you should accept the concequences & pay for the damage to the traffic lights and buy yourself a new car.

Tia, thankyou for the birthday greetings and I don't want to fall out with anybody but it boils down to the fact that someone's been driving illegally, had a crash and is expecting the tax payers to pay for the damage. The advice given by Worldlife would be acceptable ...if it was true and meant you wouldn't have to lie to the police, but if the police had evidence of the car being on the road during the last 5 weeks, I think it would be another matter
Old 19-July-2007, 08:33
Safe Sane Consensual

The advice given by Worldlife would be acceptable ...if it was true and meant you wouldn't have to lie to the police, but if the police had evidence of the car being on the road during the last 5 weeks, I think it would be another matter
Originally Posted by kedwardske View Post
Good point Keith I wasn't suggesting anyone should commit perjury
Old 19-July-2007, 22:36
Screamager

Good Job you were not around the Severn Bridge area

Police and other Agencies have been stopping cars all day long here for All sorts of things

Click for link

Support agencies involved:

DVLA targeting motorists driving without insurance, MOT, road tax, and other road safety and motoring offences. Any vehicles not displaying road tax will be impounded. To reclaim their vehicles, keepers will have to pay a release fee of 80 and produce a valid tax disc. Vehicles impounded and not claimed after seven days could be crushed
Over 150 vehicles have been stopped, 19 people arrested and 14 vehicles seized today (Thursday, July 19, 2007) as part of Operation Utah Wales and West, a huge operation involving more than 200 police officers from four forces and the support of 40 representatives from key enforcement agencies.

More than 60,000 vehicles crossing the M4 Severn Bridge and 20,000 travelling across the M48 bridge will have been scanned by special Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) units by the end of the operation, which will alert officers to any crime the vehicle or its occupants are wanted for, from drug dealing and banned drivers to benefit cheats and rogue traders.
Edit
Just remembered what it says in Worldlife signature in more ways than we think.

DD
Old 25-July-2007, 13:33
leemill

Iran into the side of a van that pulled out in front of me on a blind bend, i have a card in my car that says the 1st mot is due on the 29-07-07 so thought i was ok. It turns out the mot was due last month, anyone know where i stand with my insurance?
Old 29-July-2007, 00:39
Screamager

Your insurance is still valid, your car may be down valued though [if a write off]
Old 29-July-2007, 20:50
leemill

Thanks for your response i will keep you poasted.
Old 18-September-2008, 11:17
alimoff

I was at work this morning and while my car was parked on a quiet road someone smashed into it and ran away leaving my car a write off but the driver left behind his bumper with his number plate attached to it behind so the police will find who it is, and he will be done for leaving the scene of an accident, I had my MOT booked today as I had forgotten about it as my son has been very ill and only realised two days ago that it was out of date by 9 days, I instantly booked an MOT when I realised but could only get it in today which would make it 11 days out of date I cant beleive I let this happen I have been driving for 30 years and have never driven without an mot tax or insurance before, now im worried that my claim will be invalid, I also cant beleive that I was unlucky enough to have this happen today when I had actually had it booked in for its mot today, do I stand any chance of a claim.
Old 18-September-2008, 13:17
Screamager

Yes!

Your claim is still valid, the worse that can happen is that your car's value is downgraded, in much the same way as you would get less for selling your car without an MOT than you would with one.

The involvement of the police is a seperate matter from the insurance though, if they ask to see your documents I'm afraid it's possible you may end up with a fine.

Good luck with it and best wishes for son's speedy recovery
Old 18-September-2008, 19:19
Screamager

Apart from it being a legal requirement the M.O.T will stipulate that the vehicle was roadworthy only at the time of the test,and even new cars are/can be un-roadworthy? as there has been several recalls and documentaries on t.v that highlight this,so just because you have an m.o.t .this does not ensure the vehicle will be roadworthy for the duration of it,so apart for the above it ain't worth jack is it.just another way the government can fleece the motorist,as V.O.S.A are a government agency,and the actual revenue from 1 mot is small there is a hell of a lot of vehicles on our roads, we have fuel TAX road TAX insurance TAX are these not enough?
Old 22-November-2010, 11:45
laura_22

Hi everyone

I passed my driving test in june and am using my boyfriends car as soon as i passed i got my insurance and checked my tax disk was in date. but not my mot, i asked my bf and he said it had it so as far as i knew it was all ok.

now days ago i was dropping my son to school and a girl pulled out a sideroad into the side of me.. shes accepted liability etc, then the police lady told me it showing up i had no mot wich i was horrified at, then she said oh you must have to get ur tax because on the police records it says the mot was up befor the tax was renewed.. but i cant find the documents for a mot and my boyfriend doesnt no if its in date or not?

will this effect my claim, as my car has been taken to a garage already and ive got a courtsey car im worried i will end up having to pay for everything.

please help

thanks x
Old 22-November-2010, 13:08

the mot testing station where it was tested can provide a duplicate certificate so worth calling to check with them (presume you know where it would have been tested)
Old 10-December-2010, 01:10
canta

Your vehicle is almost certainly* still insured without an MOT but usually in the event of an accident when police attend, they will check for MOT and will normally issue a fixed penalty fine if an MOT is not present (60) citing a 'moving traffic violation'. Insurance claims will normally be settled, and normally insurers won't enquire about an MOT. *VERY rarely, some insurance policies will state that insurance is invalid without an MOT, so best read the small print. As stated, you need insurance in order to travel to/from an MOT station, to renew an MOT, but the conditions are strict, ie: you must book an appointment, you must travel by a direct route, etc.
Old 10-December-2010, 16:28
I'll get some legs soon..

If you check the small print in your insurance, you will find you are covered only if the vehicle is legally allowed to be on the road.
Of course, if the MOT has expired, and you are not going to/returning from a pre-arranged MOT, then the car is not legally allowed on the road, so the insurance company can refuse to pay out in the event of an accident.
Old 11-December-2010, 00:34
canta

If you check the small print in your insurance, you will find you are covered only if the vehicle is legally allowed to be on the road.
Of course, if the MOT has expired, and you are not going to/returning from a pre-arranged MOT, then the car is not legally allowed on the road, so the insurance company can refuse to pay out in the event of an accident.
Originally Posted by Mender View Post
Yes, they can refuse, but normally this would invalidate comprehensive insurance, but still pay out third party costs. My experience (quite a lot of it, as it happens) indicates they do pay out.
Old 11-May-2011, 12:46
ayerm

Yesterday, i hit another person's car,at a junction. this was because she cut into my lane, quite suddenly, which i let her enter, and equally suddenly she stopped her car, just as we were both about to move off. she claimed that she had to stop suddenly as the car in front of her turned suddenly without giving any indication. I donot think this is true, as i didnot see any car turn, and i think it was probably because this lady was not sure she was in the right direction(she had moments ago, jumped from a right lane that she was in, into the straight lane that i was). anyway, since i hit her car, i guess legally the fault is mine. front of my car is damaged , and the other car's rear , has a few minor scratches..we called up my insurance company, who were quite easy about it..said my car is fully comp insured and will arrange for repairs to my car/replacement car..etc..
yesterday night, when i came home, when i through car papers, i realised my mot has expired 9 days ago, as also my tax disc.how lucky ! i was out of the country on work for almost 4 weeks..and so i didnot notice the tax reminder..(my garage called me today coincidentally to book an mot appointment saying they had forgotten to send me a reminder !) .now i have already fixed with the insurance co garage for repairs tomorrow/replacement car will be given tomorrow..i was not asked if the car has mot or tax disc..i am not sure what i should do? i try to pay the tax disc online, but it asks me for mot..i feel miserable with the whole thing..the accident was really not my fault..a lousy driver, who changes her mind/lanes rashly on a road, when traffic lights turn green, where cars are queued back to back, is impossible to avoid or foresee. : (
then comes the oversight in not getting the car moted or pay the tax. ironically i got the car fully serviced just 2 months ago, and the mechanic made a passing remark-if the car would be moted tomorrow it will go through it just as it is..(yes i am stupid to not remember that mot and tax will be coming up)..what should i do?.tell the insurance company that it is not moted-tax not paid, and arrange for everything to be paid by myself. or wait and see what happens..any help/advice would be some relief. mrs ayerm
Old 11-May-2011, 13:49
chrislane62

Wait and see. No need to volunteer information detrimental to your claim.
Old 11-May-2011, 14:28
ayerm

thanks chrislane.
yes..will wait and see..just feel jittery and confused.l]
Old 13-May-2011, 21:00
canta

I have personal experience of this. Accident without MOT - the insurance will (should) still cover you. Not sure of the small print in yours, but often payout reduced to third party only, supposing you have fully comp. Many cases your NCD won't be affected either, if your cover extends to protecting this; also, depending again on small print, your premiums may not be affected. Depends on the insurer's small print, but generally you will be covered. Don't volunteer information, I have experience of claims and never once heard an insurer enquire about whether the vehicle had a valid MOT. If they do ask, obviously you will have to state as such.
Old 19-May-2011, 18:08
ayerm

troubles never end do they?
last week car has gone to garage recommended by insurance company for repairs. have even got a replacement car from insurance company. was supposed to get my car back today..the garage guy( an arrogant jobworth), just shooed me away, when i called to ask if my car is ready..said engineers not in/parts not in..blah blah..(the local garage said they would repair it in 2 days !)..said he would give the car on tuesday..
today when i come home, i find a reminder from dvla for the tax disc..cannot even pay the thing without mot.

..should i phone up dvla and tell them car is in the garage for repairs and request them extended time?..donot know what to do
Old 19-May-2011, 19:21
chrislane62

If the tax is due at the end of this month, no problem. Get the car back, test it and tax online.
Old 19-May-2011, 22:28
ayerm

chrislane,
the tax expired on 01 may..
this reminder notice says" final reminder"..i tried to pay it but it wouldnot let me pay w/out mot..just keeping my fingers crossed that i will get the car back on tuesday/will drive straight for mot/pay tax online..

tks for ur msg though.
Old 19-May-2011, 23:15
chrislane62

Temporary S.O.R.N? (Statutory Off Road Notification)

Tags
accelerator, bbc, birthday, car, company, furniture, home, key, law, lights, line, make, online, payout, phone, police, speedy, van