Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Hardware

Old 23-July-2008, 20:33
LostJohnny

Default Problem using DynDNS with 2wire BT 2700HGV - even using Updater on PC.

Hi,

I installed a video server at a client's site where they have a 2wire BT 2700HGV. The router doesn't have a built-in DynDNS client, and neither does the video server so I installed DynDNS Updater on a Windows PC that runs all the time. This should work OK. I have a similar set-up at my own office except that I use a Linux DynDNS client and my router isn't a 2wire BT 2700HGV. (The router NATs the request to checkip, so the correct WAN address is returned. It works fine on my network and should work on theirs. Really)

The client complained that the DynDNS client was stopping the PC it runs on from accessing the networked printer. When I asked further, I got this (sorry if it's not all that clear - this is mostly all I have to work with)
"It sets the IP of this machine to a public IP address. the router pops
up a screen saying second router detected click here to fix if you don't
click cant get on to internet if you do click loose network printers,
haven't tried to connect to other machines when I can't get to printers
Router sets to DMZPlus mode when you click fix
in dmzplus mode there is a note on settings screen have copied it below
Once DMZplus mode is selected and you click DONE, the system will issue
a new IP address to the selected computer. The computer must be set to
DHCP mode to receive the new IP address from the system, and you must
reboot the computer. If you are changing DMZplus mode from one computer
to another computer, you must reboot both computers.

I have tried rebooting still no connection to printer"

So it looks as though the router is detecting some problem because the DynDNS client tries to contact checkip and wants to create a DMZ and quarantine the PC the DynDNS client is running on in it. My client says if he doesn't "click here to fix", he can't get passed that screen so can't get on the Internet.

Does anyone know of this problem and/or a work-around? I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the router - I only had experience of it for an hour or so when I was setting up port-forwarding etc. I'm not able to experiment with the router myself (I'm not there) and most of my evidence comes from my client.

TIA,

Graham
Old 23-July-2008, 23:22
Screamager

Default Re: Problem using DynDNS with 2wire BT 2700HGV - even using Updater on PC.

Hi LG, Welcome to The Scream ! My suggestion would be to ditch the 2 wire and fit a Netgear router. Keep the Dyndns software for IP update though, as most routers update too frequently and emails from Dyndns seem to express concern about this and threaten disconnection. I have tried unsuccessfully to allow internet connection to my many video server customers via the 2 wire BT thingy without other problems arising with their network ( like your printer problem) Just my thoughts - Lets know how you get on JT

Ps I would not allow a DMZ to be set as this allows attack and easy access to router by possible hackers.

PPS what is the make of your video server ?

Last edited by jacktar; 23-July-2008 at 23:25. Reason: PPS
Old 24-July-2008, 08:28

Default Re: Problem using DynDNS with 2wire BT 2700HGV - even using Updater on PC.

yep - you don't want / shouldn't need the PC to be in a DMZ just to run a dynamic dns type app,. it sounds like something weird is going on

"It sets the IP of this machine to a public IP address"

why / what would be doing that, the PC should stay with the IP it has

one idea, get them to use fixed ip then no dynamic dns req'd
Old 24-July-2008, 09:18
LostJohnny

Hi LG, Welcome to The Scream ! ?
Originally Posted by jacktar View Post
Thank you.
My suggestion would be to ditch the 2 wire and fit a Netgear router.
Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to change their router. It's not critical to my client that the video server is available on the Internet. If it can't be made to work with practically no inconvenience to them, then I'll just have to take the video server away.

Keep the Dyndns software for IP update though, as most routers update too frequently and emails from Dyndns seem to express concern about this and threaten disconnection.
I've had these problems before as well. I've another client who had this problem, but reverted to an old router he had, uses the build-in DynDNS client in it and DynDNS have been happy since. Both routers here are badged ISP-provided things. DynDNS have a section on their website about routers, but they only "recommend" one - and that's flawed. The whole router issue seems a bit random to me.

I have tried unsuccessfully to allow internet connection to my many video server customers via the 2 wire BT thingy without other problems arising with their network ( like your printer problem)
What sort of problems? Are you talking about customers with dynamic IP addresses, or fixed ones as well?

Ps I would not allow a DMZ to be set as this allows attack and easy access to router by possible hackers.
Never in question. I'm really trying to see if anyone understands why this router wants to make a DMZ in order to stop it.

PPS what is the make of your video server ?
It's an old Axis 2400. It doesn't have a DynDNS client built in like later models.

Thanks for your input.

Graham
Old 24-July-2008, 09:23
LostJohnny

yep - you don't want / shouldn't need the PC to be in a DMZ just to run a dynamic dns type app,. it sounds like something weird is going on

"It sets the IP of this machine to a public IP address"

why / what would be doing that, the PC should stay with the IP it has
Originally Posted by silver View Post
It's certainly weird. It looks like a peculiarity of that router. I'm trying to find out what is doing that and if there's a way to stop it.

one idea, get them to use fixed ip then no dynamic dns req'd
Again, I would if I could, but this client isn't that bothered and if I can't make it work with what they've got, they're not interested.

Graham
Old 24-July-2008, 11:28
Screamager

Are all the PC's including the server set with a static manual IP?

As in this page

http://192.168.1.1/xslt?PAGE=J10&THI...8&NEXTPAGE=J10

Edit IP to suit the router
Old 24-July-2008, 11:36
LostJohnny

Are all the PC's including the server set with a static manual IP?
Originally Posted by patioheater View Post
The video server has a static IP. The PC running the DynDNS client is DHCP. As for the rest - I don't know - I didn't install the network, but I'd assume all other PCs are DHCP and I don't know about the printer.
As in this page

http://192.168.1.1/xslt?PAGE=J10&THI...8&NEXTPAGE=J10

Edit IP to suit the router
I'm not able to experiment with the router myself (I'm not there), so I can't try things like this.

Graham
Old 24-July-2008, 12:16

to me (my guess and I don't know anything about that router!) it sounds like it must be an interaction between the router and the PC, all that stuff about DMZ isn't standard windows,

perhaps the PC has like an application associated with the router running on it - hence the router notices the PC connects out in an interesting way and notifies the router helper app running on the PC that it should / could be better off in a DMZ

obv the PC / dyndns thing shouldn't need to be in a DMZ,. as said perhaps set the PC to use a static IP (LAN address space) or just make sure its not running some kind of router helper app - the router shouldn't be popping stuff up on the PC asking abt DMZs?
Old 24-July-2008, 12:41
Austin_KW

What dyndns client are you using.

The client I run (on linux) does all the update steps using a connection to http, gets it public Ip address returned and updates if necessary. Nothing that would trigger anything on a router or regular browsing would also trigger it.

So is the router firewalling the dyndns inc addresses or the connection to some non http port is triggering a nat firewall rule?
Old 24-July-2008, 13:32
LostJohnny

What dyndns client are you using.
Originally Posted by Austin_KW View Post
The official DynDNS Updater for Windows

The client I run (on linux) does all the update steps using a connection to http, gets it public Ip address returned and updates if necessary. Nothing that would trigger anything on a router or regular browsing would also trigger it.
I also run a Linux client on my network in my office without problems. But I don't have a 2wire BT 2700HGV

So is the router firewalling the dyndns inc addresses or the connection to some non http port is triggering a nat firewall rule?
Good point. I sort of asked this on the DynDNS forum. I asked as one question within a post containing a few, "Does the service use a port number or protocol typically used by routers so that my client's router would think the packets were coming from another router?
". The reply from DynDNS staff included "I can't really imagine why a router would try to intercept updates to DynDNS.com". The thread is here.

But I could ask the question again explicitly and on its own.

I did think I'd tested the DynDNS Updater before I left their office, so it might be that there needs to be some other conditions apart from the thing simply doing its normal job under normal conditions before things go wrong and the router thinks it's detecting another router. E.g. maybe it only happens if the updater tries to contact DynDNS before anyone has logged onto the Internet. Like I said before, I only have about one hour's experience of this router, but does it make you log in before it allows you onto the Internet? Anyone?
Old 24-July-2008, 13:47
LostJohnny

to me (my guess and I don't know anything about that router!) it sounds like it must be an interaction between the router and the PC, all that stuff about DMZ isn't standard windows,

perhaps the PC has like an application associated with the router running on it - hence the router notices the PC connects out in an interesting way and notifies the router helper app running on the PC that it should / could be better off in a DMZ
Originally Posted by silver View Post
There's no problem if the DynDNS Updater is disabled. The problem started after I'd installed this and goes away when they disable the Updater.

obv the PC / dyndns thing shouldn't need to be in a DMZ,. as said perhaps set the PC to use a static IP (LAN address space) or just make sure its not running some kind of router helper app - the router shouldn't be popping stuff up on the PC asking abt DMZs?
I'm not in a position to change their network. I was allowed to install the video server, set up port-forwarding to it and install the DynDNS Updater and that's it.

If there's no easy answer to this, about all I'll be able to do is ask them to do manual DynDNS updates if they restart their router. Far from ideal, I know, but the fact remains that their network works OK without the DynDNS Updater and not with it.

Graham
Old 01-August-2008, 20:10
cheshire

Try disabling the 'Router behind router' alert on the 2700HGV.
Go to to the router configuration page http://home/xslt?PAGE=J09&THISPAGE=J01&NEXTPAGE=J09
and at th bottom of the page you should see a check box 'Enable Router behind router alert' , uncheck it and click submit. That should fix it.

N.B the router will probably ask you for the system password when you go to the config page...
Old 01-August-2008, 21:31
LostJohnny

Try disabling the 'Router behind router' alert on the 2700HGV.
Go to to the router configuration page http://home/xslt?PAGE=J09&THISPAGE=J01&NEXTPAGE=J09
and at th bottom of the page you should see a check box 'Enable Router behind router alert' , uncheck it and click submit. That should fix it.

N.B the router will probably ask you for the system password when you go to the config page...
Originally Posted by cheshire View Post
Thanks. I don't have access to the router, there's no-one really technical at my customer's site and if there's work involved or any potential of messing up their network they simply won't use the video server. However this is just about simple and direct enough for me to ask them to do it.

Thanks again.

Graham
Old 24-October-2008, 10:45
spacerace

did anyone ever get to the bottom of this? I am now seeing this on my clients network whenever a specific laptop is plugged in. Same exact router. He's not running DynDNS software, but there must be something on there triggering this?

I've run a full AV and spyware scan which came up clean, so if there is some software it's legit.
Old 24-October-2008, 11:44
LostJohnny

did anyone ever get to the bottom of this? I am now seeing this on my clients network whenever a specific laptop is plugged in. Same exact router. He's not running DynDNS software, but there must be something on there triggering this?

I've run a full AV and spyware scan which came up clean, so if there is some software it's legit.
Originally Posted by spacerace View Post
I told my clients about the fix given three posts above. However, they never got back to me. I don't think they bothered trying.

Have you tried it?

Graham
Old 24-October-2008, 12:02
spacerace

yes I've just applied the above to the router on their network, unfortunately I have the laptop with me for testing so can't put it back on the network to see what happens. I'll be giving it back today though and will see if the router behaves now.

what worries me is I haven't fixed the problem with whatever is on the laptop 'acting like a router' !
Old 24-October-2008, 13:07
LostJohnny

yes I've just applied the above to the router on their network, unfortunately I have the laptop with me for testing so can't put it back on the network to see what happens. I'll be giving it back today though and will see if the router behaves now.

what worries me is I haven't fixed the problem with whatever is on the laptop 'acting like a router' !
Originally Posted by spacerace View Post
All the dyndns client does is make a connection to the dyndns server to ask "What's my IP address?". It doesn't use any routing protocols or act as a server or anything. So I think it's possible that a lot of things could trigger the problem, like AV software looking for updates, possibly. So I don't think that anything on the laptop is necessarily "acting like a router"
Old 24-October-2008, 14:57
spacerace

I would agree, but it's only this one specific laptop causing the problem, and in your case one specific PC. I can't find any software installed on this laptop that might cause a problem. I have a spare router here that is exactly the same model with the same firmware and I connect the laptop to it and it doesn't have any problem! (the only difference is this spare router isn't actually adsl connected, but it issues an IP etc.) Very strange.

Tags
2wire, bt, bt 2700hgv, computer, connection, dhcp, dns, hackers, happy, hgv, home, internet, isp, laptop, make, nat, netgear, network, port, public, router, screen, settings, software, windows