Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > P2P File Sharing

Old 23-November-2001, 20:28

Thumbs up edonkey tips

Hi Peeps,

edonkey is still around but you might like to check out emule, it's the same network but has a lot of improvements over edonkey see Emule tips + tweaks / speeding up ed2k clients many of the tweaks are the same but emule has a few settings that can help improve download speeds

What Is Edonkey?: edonkey2000 (or ed2k) is a peer2peer file sharing system, a little like napster, the differences from napster include: It has many servers in many countries which are unlikely to be shut down. It allows sharing of any file type (not just mp3's). It does multiple source download, i.e. it will retrieve the file from many places at once, it can give a very fast download (like 60 Kbytes/sec on ADSL).

See the ed2k links at the bottom of this post for more details.

Here's a few tips, I'll post more as I get round to it, please add more if I haven't covered it

In no particular order:

Unset the proxy edonkey will try an use the same proxy you have set in IE when you first install it, this is not going to work in most cases. The 'Proxy' setting in on the edonkey main window at the top next to 'Options'. You need to unset the proxy (i.e. set it to 'None') unless you really know a way to proxy edonkey that works. Not unsetting the proxy will cause edonkey to have problems connecting!

Cap the upload: (on a broadband connection anyway) The reason to do this isn't so you share less, edonkey needs people sharing or no one gets anything. When you are downloading data for each little bit that edonkey downloads it must send an 'ack' (acknowlegement) if your upload stream is running at your connection limit these 'acks' wont get back/will be slowed down so you won't be sent the next little bit. Set the upload cap to about 70% to 90% of your total upload total capacity, so for instance if you are on 512/256 ADSL the max upload is about 25k/sec, set the upload cap at about 20k/sec in the options. Donkey has a built in ratio mechanism, if you set the upload less than 10 or 11k/sec you will be 'punished' (i.e. your download speed will be severly capped by edonkey, which I think is kinda good!).

Letting people upload from you is also important because it helps edonkey find more places to download the file you want!

Wait for edonkey to hash files before connecting This is important because the default setting is to 'automatically remove dead servers', edonkey seems to have problems connecting while it's hashing files, for this reason, when you shut down edonkey uncheck 'stay connected'. This problem will also occur if you loose your connection, the un-connectable servers will get deleted simply because your internet connection dropped. I would *not* advise unchecking 'remove dead servers' because many servers really are dead (especially the ones hosted on dynamic IPs) and you will be annoying the heck out of people who have that IP if you are repeaditly trying to connect to it! My preferance is not to use 'stay connected', many times even if you loose the server connection you will still complete the download

Dont pen your donkey in! edonkey (along with other p2p progs) behaves like a 'server', that means it wants to accept connections from other 'peers'. If you trust that edonkey is relativly secure then you should allow it *full access* to the internet. It's easy to believe that running a firewall and only allowing edonkey to connect in certain ways makes you more secure, I think that is wishful thinking! If you run a firewall then I'd advise allowing any connection to edonkey both udp an tcp incoming and outgoing, anything else will not allow edonkey to work at its best. You can check how 'penned in' your donkey is, on the main edonkey window near the top on the middle/right is a yellow '?' (question mark), press that, in the window that pops up is a number next to the 'ID' part. The number is an ID which edonkey got when it connected to a server, a low number (like 150 or so) indicates you are penning your donkey in, the number needs to be in the many millions for true donkey usage

Running edonkey behind a NAT can also lead to a low number in the 'ID', again if possible don't run it from behind a NAT. If you are behind a NAT and have access to change NAT settings then open a port map between the NAT and your internal IP. The only port you need map is NAT:4662 and PC running ed2k:4662

You might get good download speed even with a low number, if this is the case then ignore it.

If you get a low id and your computer has been running a while try rebooting - that can help.

Extend Searching Quickly Once you have searched the local server for a file you can press the 'extend search' button to entend to other servers. If you click the 'extend search' button with the mouse, then press and hold down the return (or enter) key on the keyboard, then unclick the mouse it will extend the search really quickly to lots of servers

Click the headings above the list to sort them in size order or by name etc..

Use a links website I think using a 'ed2k links' website is the way to go, searching edonkey is good for things which are a little obscure but you can often get some really great ideas on what to get next by looking at sites which list lots of edonkey content (see the 'ed2k links' link below)

Getting Connected If you have made sure that the proxy is unset and you still have problems then it's likely your server list needs a bit of tweaking. Edonkey has become too popular for it's own good in some ways and the servers are very often full, especially the good ones. One interesting thing is that you probably don't want to be on a server with too many people, it seems you get a faster DL if you are on a smallish server (sub 500 clients). Onslo pointed me to a handy util that will update the server list and check the state of the servers, it allowed me to connect after I was having problems. Check out ED2kUtils1.3 - it's listed in the 'ed2k links' below.

--

thats it for this installment, please add your own tips or ask any questions

A seperate thread exists for ed2k links

remember, keep your donkey well fed

Sil

Last edited by silver; 28-June-2003 at 11:56.
Old 24-November-2001, 00:18
Screamager

Sil, Quick Question......

Can I set fire to my Donkeys legs and not incure any kind of bandwidth penalty for doing so?

Basically, can a Donkey be punished?

'Slo

Edit : Delete this whenever....am just jesting

Last edited by Onslo; 24-November-2001 at 00:28.
Old 24-November-2001, 02:21
Trance Addict

@ Onslo

I tried Edonkey and coudn't get on with it. Din't like it muc either.

Behemoth
Old 24-November-2001, 09:39

look after ur donkey - an (s)he will look after you

Sil
Old 24-November-2001, 15:01
Stephe

My donkey is male Silver!
Old 27-November-2001, 23:21

so is mine

I added a new bit in the first post about 'penning in your donkey'

Sil
Old 30-December-2001, 00:22

added part abt extending searches quickly and added some to the bit abt keeping server list clean

Sil
Old 30-January-2002, 00:51
Screamager

if a strage error pops up saying insuffient disk space on your 160gb drive, there a handy tool called filecut http://www.mfwd.de/files/filecut.zip that fixes the silly little bug that causes it
Old 30-January-2002, 01:38
Dantony

Sil, your edonkey tips are quite intriguing but just like a lot of computer program notes and instructions they don't say what the program actually does, only how to do it.

This is a problem dating right back to the early days of personal computing. When we got our first computer in 1978, a Commodore PET 2001 Series, (actually the third or fourth model, a 2001-8, with a massive 8Kb memory), it came with a manual printed with three different fonts in each section, one for general use, one for the professional programmer and one for people who used the PET at the machine level. (PET stood for Personal Electronic Transactor.)

By reading all three parts of each section and having long discussions with colleagues it was sometimes possible to learn how to perform certain operations.

We never did discover how to print to our Commodore printer direct from the PET but luckily we had a program that knew what to do.

Sorry, carried away by nostalgia, but please explain what edonkey does in tyro terms.

Thanks, Dantony
Old 30-January-2002, 10:53

Dantony,

How right you are !

I have been to sites which start out telling you down to the last detail how to do this or that, w/o telling you what the overall thing does.

I've added a new para at the top of the first post and also added a link to the ed2k thread at the bottom of the first post.

Thanks for the comments, it should hopefully describe what edonkey is now

Sil
Old 30-January-2002, 11:49
Dantony

Sil,

Thanks for your explanation and description, and for the links to other sites.

For some unknown reason the www.edonkey2000.com brings a Gateway Timeout, Server unreachable Error at the moment but I'll try again later.

I don't think that I have any real need for edonkey at present, but having said that I've just thought of a possibility, I'll have a word with my son in Amsterdam later.

Thank you again,

Dantony
Old 31-January-2002, 02:37

Yep, is down occasionally, seems ok at the mo

Sil

PS, what does tyro mean ?
Old 01-February-2002, 01:42
Dantony

Tyro = Beginner or learner.

It is a useful word for a lazy person, only uses half the number of letters.

Dantony
Old 01-February-2002, 10:07

ahh

Sil
Old 04-February-2002, 14:22
tony

Default eDonkey servers

have a look at -

http://snakefoot.fateback.com/links/fileshare.html

and download the 'Download Autostart' program, if you start eDonkey with this program rather than th normal .exe it updates the servers each time you use eDonkey, that way you only have a list of current servers.

Alao gets round a problem in XP where you cannot connect sometimes

Old 04-February-2002, 15:17

Thanks for the link tony

Take a look at the first post, the prob with not connecting might well be caused by having too many servers listed (which would tally with what you said abt the app you posted fixing it).

I don't mind checking the server list myself, sometimes I know a server is ok, even tho it might not be responding for some reason. If I get more annoyed with having to mess with a server list I'll give it a go

Thanks,

Sil
Old 04-February-2002, 21:45
robcar

Hi Sil

Although I'm a Morpheus/grockster fan I am having a go at taking the donkey for a walk...........quick question............I am on an ordinary dial-up 56k modem........how do I determine my max upload/download speeds and what should I enter in the Line speed down box................

puzzled for now

regards

rob
Old 04-February-2002, 22:34

Hi rob,

I've not tried edonkey on dialup, I think I'd probably leave them all at default. You could try setting the max-upload at 3 k or 3.5 k perhaps, I don't know it'd make much difference.

Let us know how you get on

Sil
Old 07-February-2002, 00:12
tony

Default eDonkey

for those of you who like to keep up todate there is a new test release, which will probarbly be the next final release at

http://www.edonkey2000.com/files/eDonkey1159.exe

said to be quicker and use bandwidth better

Old 08-February-2002, 21:59
chris bartley

Default dial up

"You could try setting the max-upload at 3 k or 3.5 k perhaps"

but on 56k modem, upload channel is limited to 2.8 max.

I have mine set to 2, def seems better than leaving it blank
Old 08-February-2002, 22:04

Thanks Chris

I couldn't think offhand what the max upload is on a modem

Sil

PS, 28.8 - is kbits isn't it? So 28800 / 8 is 3600 bytes or 3.6 kbytes.. think results will vary anyway, depending on how good you connection is, let us know how you get on

Last edited by silver; 08-February-2002 at 22:09.
Old 08-February-2002, 22:47
chris bartley

Default new test client

the new clinet xx59 certainly seems better - doesnt hog all your bandwidth, can now at least browse at the same time albiet it slowly - couldn't at all with earlier ones.
Old 08-February-2002, 22:51
chris bartley

Default 2.8kbs

"So 28800 / 8 is 3600 bytes "

unfortunatly I think its more like / 10 - due to async overhead of 1 start and 1 or 2 stop bits

Last edited by chris bartley; 08-February-2002 at 22:55.
Old 09-February-2002, 00:32

Haven't tried the new client yet - will give it a go soon

2.8 it is then

Sil
Old 09-February-2002, 11:32
tony

Default eDonkey

new release is now official, get it here

http://www.edonkey2000.com/downloads.html

Old 09-February-2002, 13:28
Screamager

eeek!
my Id has gone from >14000000 (hmm that loks smaller) to 2500 wtf has happened. anyone got any ideas? any routinmg I need to setup etc?
Old 09-February-2002, 14:31
tony

Default id

good question Robin, on the test version my id is/was 1124471686, on the released version it is 0.

cannot remember what this is for, will have to investigate

Old 09-February-2002, 14:48
Screamager

hmm mine appears to be slowly increasing
Old 09-February-2002, 15:32

it might now use a different way to calc the ID, best bet is to check on the ed2k forums they will know

Sil
Old 09-February-2002, 18:41
Screamager

disconnected - reconnected a few times now back to 1410209148

Tags
adsl, broadband, computer, connection, dating, dead, file sharing, files, internet, key, line, make, modem, nat, network, opinion, port, router, settings, share, sharing, speeding, speeds