Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > TalkTalk
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22-January-2014, 13:21
Screamer

Defaulttalktalk and Outlook

Hi
I have Got a problem sending emails from outlook 2010. They appear in the sent box but don’t actually go to the recipient.

I phoned TalkTalk who gave me new email account settings. Other than that they just say that they don't support Outlook

Anyone had a similar problem that did get resolved. Happy to leave talktalk if that does it.

Regards

Paul
Old 22-January-2014, 20:52

LightbulbRe: talktalk and Outlook

Well, I've used Office 2010 (and Outlook) since 2010 on BT, then O2 and now TalkTalk with no problems. The fact that TT do not support Outlook just means that they will not give you any Help!
Can you post a screen print of you settings (minus username & password) and I'll compare it with mine.'
Old 23-January-2014, 07:50
Safe Sane Consensual

DefaultRe: talktalk and Outlook

Hi Paul - Welcome to TS

See you have not yet had a response from one of our techy experts.

I am with Sky as ISP but use Hotmail and Gmail as my email addresses.

When I was with Virgin Net I used to use Outlook Express and found that met my basic needs. My email service was extremely reliable.

After installing an updated version of Office my email reader was changed to Outlook. My email reader was changed again when I registered Hotmail addresses and I seemed to end up with Windows Live Mail.

From time to time I too get messages that are shown as sent and have not been subject of an "undelivered" notice and I was beginning to think this was a problem with Hotmail itself.

Do not jump from the frying pan into the fire! Hope there is someone here to help you soon.
Old 23-January-2014, 17:19
Screamer

Good to hear I am not the only one who has experienced this. I had thought that if I changed to a Microsoft mail package that might help, but your experience says it does not. So I assume this is an Outlook problem, and any ideas on how I get support out of Microsoft are welcome.

Regards

Paul
Old 23-January-2014, 17:40
Screamer

Well, I've used Office 2010 (and Outlook) since 2010 on BT, then O2 and now TalkTalk with no problems. The fact that TT do not support Outlook just means that they will not give you any Help!
Can you post a screen print of you settings (minus username & password) and I'll compare it with mine.'
Originally Posted by gem View Post

Cant seem to get print screen to work in this box but settings are:

Account Type: ..........POP3
Incoming mail server: ............mail.talktalk.net
Outgoing mail server (smtp):...........smtp.talktalk.net

When I test account settings generally this works. However sometimes it does not. It appears less reliable when I am not on my home network and I am connecting in using a wifi or similar.

Regards

Paul

:
Old 23-January-2014, 21:41
Safe Sane Consensual

Wondering if something is amiss with TS filing!!

I am pretty sure that that I wrote a holding answer yesterday to Paul's question as there were no "expert replies" at the time. (I would regard Gem as an expert!)

I am sure that after posting my message it was actually recorded as the second in the topic immediately following Paul's first.

If you look at the content of the posts they do not match up to the timings on them.

Maybe there is an explanation for the posts being out of sequence although they do accord with the dates and times of apparent posting. These apparent times could for some reason be out of sequence with the real times of posting.
Old 24-January-2014, 12:09

CoolRe: talktalk and Outlook

I think the best way is to follow TakTalk's set up guide here.

One point. You can only send email through your TalkTalk email a/c if you are connected to TalkTalk. You cannot send while connected to any other ISP (e.g your local coffee shop free Wi-Fi).

Let us know how it go's.
Old 24-January-2014, 18:26
Screamer

many thanks for your reply and I have checked my mail settings and they all seem OK and Test messages work at present.

However I know that at some stage I will send some messages that will appear in my sent items but never actually go/get to the recipient. This is what has happened before, and I am trying to work out if this is an Outlook issue or a Talktalk problem. Since I send my mail via a Talktalk connection and a talktalk server I would have thought this was a talktalk problem. If so should I look to solve this by changing to a different ISP.........WOULD THAT RESOLVE THE PROBLEM?

The second point you make is news to me. I thought that if I connected to my Talktalk server (as my mail provider) them how I accessed the Internet (ie BY A coffee shop, as a guest on a friends WIfI, however...) was irrelevant. As long as I was accepted on the network then I could send and receive Email.

I am a laptop user so getting mail anywhere is essential. At present I am having regular hospital treatment and am signing into the hospitals WiFi network for patients and getting mail and internet access. This does work, so I can get Talktalk mail into Outlook without using Talktalk as the carrier. However I still lose the odd sent Email that appears to have gone but actually has not. Usually I only find this out some time later when an intended recipient tells me in conversation that they did not get the Email I am talking about.

Sorry to drone on. I believe my settings are correct. My occasional problem as described is awkward because it is unpredictably intermittent and does not seem to depend on nos of recipients, size of attachment or any other constant.

Thanks again for all the attention. It may be that Outlook just isn't reliable, but that would be a shame as I like all the Value adds it offers to plain mail read from a server, plus I can work on mail offline and connect later.

Regards

Paul
Old 24-January-2014, 22:04
Screamer

Dear Gem

I checked the Talktalk set up guide that you kindly sent me a link to and have now noticed that because I am a Windows 8 user I should be using IMAP instead of POP3. This may or may not resolve my issue, so I will make the change. My question is how do I do that? Do I delete my existing POP3 based account and set up a new IMAP based one with the same mail address?

Thanks in advance

Paul
Old 25-January-2014, 19:56

UnhappyRe: talktalk and Outlook

Sorry, life is busy at the moment (how did I ever find time to work! - I'm retired).

I would STRONGLY advise against IMAP - It's not necesary. I use Win 8.1with Outlook 2010 using pop3.

Not sure what to suggest if you have followed TT's setup.
Old 25-January-2014, 20:17
Screamer

Great you have the same set up as me and yours works so Therefore it must be my ISP talktalk that is losing messages that are sent in outlook. Who is your ISP or what mail system (gmail or similar) are you using. I have no loyalty, just looking for something that works. And thanks for your time, retired or not its invaluable to have a 2nd brain walk around this one.

Regards

Paul
Old 25-January-2014, 21:48

CoolRe: talktalk and Outlook

My ISP is TT!
I have for many years had my own personal (paid for) email address with 1and1 as it avoids changing email addresses ever time I move ISP's. It also means that I can send/receive email wherever I am in the world (we spend six months in France - 3x2 months). However I have also used many ISP's email addresses (including TT) with no real trouble. If you wish to avoid paying for an email address then you have the likes of gmail and hotmail to name but two.

Tags
bt, compare, email, free, happy, home, hotmail, imap, internet, isp, mail, make, network, screen, settings, shop, sky, smtp, talk, talktalk, virgin, wi-fi, windows

Show Printable VersionShow Printable Version
Email this PageEmail this Page