Go Back   The Scream! > COMMUNITY FORUMS > General Chatty Stuff

View Poll Results: Do I accept this new part time 20 hour a week job, or stay where I am?
YES - go for the new one (even though it has less pay and holiday leave) 1 20.00%
NO - stay where you are & take the 9.5 weeks redundancy 4 80.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-December-2011, 21:32
Waves goodbye

Exclamation Redundancy / employment advice please

Hi all,

Here is the situation I face:

I currently work for the local Council and have done since July 2002, so would have reached 10 years service next year.

I work full time and work 36 1/4 hours a week, and having passed 5 years long service get 28 days holiday alowance (excluding Bank Holidays).

I earn just over 16,000 a year.

Our team is one of many strongly rumoured to be axed in the terrible local council cuts announced and my current contract is until the 31st March 2012.

If they are going to release us via redundancy, then they have to give us the legally required 90 days notice, which is by 31st December then. Nice Christmas eh? The letter will probably reach me the first week in January, just in time for my Birthday, even better eh?

I believe they will give us 1 weeks pay for each year of service, so I am due (if we are made redundant), just 9 weeks pay

The big twist here is, I went for an interview for a part time job (on a month by month basis) for only 20 hours a week with a different company in the SAME building, and was offered it on Friday. but also

It was hoped this new job would go full time come 1st April 2012 subject to new funding, but my big dilemma which has caused endless friction between me and my other half and the work colleagues I have told is:

I can't live on 20 hours pay a week, so would like to drop down part time in my current job. This shouldnt be a problem as 2 other staff only do 3 days a week and even the manager has another 2 day a week job!

Anyway, if this new job WAS full time, it's less pay (15,575) and only 23 days leave pro-rata.

So, even if I accept this new one, I would have to do more hours in BOTH jobs and still get LESS pay.

I can't afford to do this

I also need to find out about holiday entitlement, as said above, I currently get 28 days and this one (if full time) is only 23 days.

Say I did the new job in the morning and current one in the afternoon and wanted a day off, does that equate to a FULL day off from each employer? If so, I'll never get a summer holiday ever again

There are other complications to, such as I am allowed to leave early one day a week in my current job (personal reasons) and do 6 hours that day (8.30-2.30pm with NO 30 minute lunch break).

This new job would require me to use my car and I don't know if I'd get any travelling allowance (the internally advertised job description didn't say, and I forgot to ask in the interview due to nerves!).

It also states occasional weekend working and the odd night time (to minute meetings from 5-9pm). I really don't wanna do this

It's also worse I as know everyone else in the building and help out to cover reception the occcasional dinner time even though I don't work for them. My manager says its fine, and I don't mind helping out.

Soooooooooooooooooooo, do I accept, but its less pay and don't know how holiday leave would work out and have to lump an odd weekend or weekday evening to attend meetings (which I hate). Or do I kindly decline, alienate my colleagues and just wait until the ship sinks in my current job then take the pittance of redundancy and look for a new job come April 1st.

There is no guarantee this new job would continue past 1st April either if they don't get funding, but as my colleagues tell me (I'm sure they want rid of me!), this new job would look so impressive on my CV, even for 3 months (and less pay, less holiday, weekend and evening working)

The final complication is, the Chief Executive of this other company that interviewed me and offered me the job, was also manager of the department of the current team I am in, and interviewed me for that.

She believes in me and my ability, but if I say no due to the lower pay, and hours, it'd be like a personal kick in the teeth to her.

This is killing me, it really is

Any opinion please, I need to let her know on Monday. I haven't even had the offer in writing yet! They only told me as I work in the same building.....

Old 10-December-2011, 22:41
Optimistic Curmudgeon

Default Re: Redundancy / employment advice please

Tough **** fella. Now you know how it feels for the rest of us in the private sector, except our pensions are much worse that yours. Sorry and all that, but I just can't feel much empathy for you here. Guess why !
Old 10-December-2011, 22:42
Waves goodbye

Thumbs down Re: Redundancy / employment advice please

I have just read that your redundancy offer is based on your circumstances at the time your job ends, so if I took this new one and went down part time to half the hours in my current job, then I would only get 9 weeks x half hours pay off, i.e. 9 x 16 hours a week pay.

That isn't on

I am so depressed.

Old 10-December-2011, 22:44
Waves goodbye

That's you off my Xmas card list then.

You're like the sick Samaritans help line worker telling the desperate caller they might as well jump then

And out of curiousity, what do YOU earn then?

FYI - this new job is in the Voluntary Sector.
Old 10-December-2011, 22:57

I have just read that your redundancy offer is based on your circumstances at the time your job ends, so if I took this new one and went down part time to half the hours in my current job, then I would only get 9 weeks x half hours pay off, i.e. 9 x 16 hours a week pay.

That isn't on

I am so depressed.

Originally Posted by MegaTsunami View Post
If you took the new job you wouldnt get any redundancy, related to your old job.
Old 10-December-2011, 23:04
Waves goodbye

Thumbs down Re: Redundancy / employment advice please

So there's no incentive to accept this new job then?

I can stay where I am, get a semi-decent full time wage, use up my remaining 7 days holiday allowance before 31st March, and then get 9 weeks full redundancy money to pay off towards some of my debts.

Then sign on and join the millions of others looking for work.

Is there one benefit to accepting this new job then? That might end in March 2012 too if they don't get funding, and I lose my 7 days holidays left to take (which I need as I so stressed), and I'll get less money (which to be honest in this climate, no one can afford to lose)?

Old 10-December-2011, 23:11

TBH if it was me i would hold tight, as you dont no for 100% it is going to happen if it does you have 3 months to look for a better job on normal pay then another 2 months after with redundancy pay.

I cant see any reason to take new job if that could end in March as well, as you would get nothing.

But at the end of the day the choice is yours.
Old 10-December-2011, 23:18
Waves goodbye

Question Re: Redundancy / employment advice please

Thank you so much Scoobs.

I appreciate it.

Did I mention that this new job is also on a month to month basis too? They could say I'm out on my ear along with the rest of the staff in this place whose current contracts are until 31/12/2011, having already been extended?
Old 11-December-2011, 10:49
Screamer

IMO You Should Stay Put!!
When Your Current Job Finishes You May (Possibly) Have a Chance To Take The Other If Everything Is OK With The Firm (If They Want You Now They May Want You In The Future).
Remember Stay Put!!!!
Old 12-December-2011, 13:04
Optimistic Curmudgeon

Sorry about the previous rant, it caught me on the raw as in my last job in the public sector, I too got my/our redundancy notice just before Christmas 2000 !

I chose to take the redundancy of 16 weeks money and decided to seek part time work aged 57......that didn't materialise, so I was effectively retired 8 years early on a tiny pension. Now THAT was a struggle !

I'd stay put if I were you, unless you're nearly old enough to retire ?
Old 12-December-2011, 16:38
SabeanQueen

If I were you I'd stay put also. If the worst does come to the worst then you'd have your arrears pay plus redundancy plus whatever pittance would be added to your pension, which would give you more of a breathing space to find a new position if you need to in the New Year. As we're almost half way through December already I would imagine the month by month position could still be available to you still AFTER you've received your notice so would know for certain what was going on.

Having worked in local government myself, and being somewhat cynical, I would not put it past them to have offered the p/t position and release you after a month JUST to get out of having to pay you redundancy, but either way you are only sure of work until 31st March 2012 if I've read this correctly? If so, leaving your current job voluntarily could really cause you some issues. To be honest, your best bet would be to speak to someone at the CAB who would be up to date on how either option would affect you with regards taxes, national insurance credits, benefits etc.

Just a suggestion, if you're pressed to give an answer I wouldn't mention that pay/holiday allowance is putting you off (there is likely to be dozens if not hundreds of people who would jump at the job at what for you would be a pay cut, so no need to alienate yourself). I would be totally up front and say you are waiting to know for sure if you are going to be made redundant or not from your current position given the time and commitment you have given to that role over the past 9 years. They will understand that you have to keep your options open and respect you for being honest (even if they don't like the answer).

Last edited by SabeanQueen; 12-December-2011 at 17:00.
Old 13-December-2011, 18:17
Waves goodbye

Thumbs up Re: Redundancy / employment advice please

Sorry about the previous rant, it caught me on the raw as in my last job in the public sector, I too got my/our redundancy notice just before Christmas 2000 !

I chose to take the redundancy of 16 weeks money and decided to seek part time work aged 57......that didn't materialise, so I was effectively retired 8 years early on a tiny pension. Now THAT was a struggle !

I'd stay put if I were you, unless you're nearly old enough to retire ?
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Sorry for snapping back too
Old 13-December-2011, 18:22
Waves goodbye

Sorry, to recap: I would be accepting this new job with a totally different company (in the same building), then reducing my current hours down to like 16 hours, NOT leaving it altogether and severing 9.5 years with the local council and all the pension I've paid into.

I'm told if I do this, (online, forums, & on employment discussion chat rooms - NOT by my employers as I have been off work since) that my redundancy would then be 9.5 weeks, multiplied by just 16 hours a week pay, which is obviously a lot less than 9.5 weeks FULL PAY at 36.25 hours (as I'd have been there 10 years in July 2012)

No one can confirm / deny this though.

Is a redundancy package based on the last months hours you do, i.e. 16 hours *IF* I went down to 16 in my current job.

But surely if I accepted a NEW job (even if only 20 hours), I have new employment so am I not entitled to redundancy.

I don't wanna accept the NEW job, let the current one end, get NO redundancy and then this NEW p/t jobs ends

On the dole with nothing at all

And..... is redundancy pay taxable or would I get 2.5 times my full last payslip (for a 36.5 hour week)? I get paid on the 15th of each month so there would be an extra 2 weeks also included if it ended on March 31st?

I rang "ACAS" who just basically said I wouldn't get redundancy if I started work before the current one ended, even if part time. I am sooooooooooo confused

Last edited by MegaTsunami; 13-December-2011 at 18:33.
Old 13-December-2011, 18:35
Waves goodbye

And people online seem to overwhelmingly say "stay put, take the redundancy", and look for new work in the meantime - whereas my work colleagues all seem to think take the new job, then have 2, and if my current job ends at least I have one. Fair enough, but this new one is only month by month and then there may be no new funding to continue.
Old 13-December-2011, 18:42
Waves goodbye

My head hurts
Old 13-December-2011, 19:21
Screamette

Maybe your fellow workers want you out of the way to give them more chance of keeping THEIR jobs!
Old 13-December-2011, 21:18
Screamager

Listen to ACAS

Redundancy pay should not be taxed.

1 week for every year sounds right, but if over a certain age (42 I think) it is then 1.5 weeks for every year

If you have been there for 9.5 years they should also give you 9 weeks notice, (depends on your contract)

Unless they expected you to work this notice (would be very unusual) this will be paid in lue, this will be taxed.

For these 9 weeks in lue of notice you would of gained I am guessing an extra 2 days holiday this will be taxed.

So to me its looking like 18 weeks pay plus any holidays owed

Or take the other job, 4 weeks later sorry we don't think you are suitable. no notice period no redundancy no nothing.

I know what I would do and it is what I did back in 2008, I was offered a different position within the company on a 6 week trial and a 6 month probation.

With in the 6 week trial if I did not like the position I could still take the redundancy and run, after that 6 weeks the could of got rid of me any time and I would have had nothing.

Just my thoughts and ramblings

DD

Edit

And the notice period should start after the 90 days not before.

Loads of info on Direct.gov

and
http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...ndancy_pay.htm

and

http://www.xperthr.co.uk/faqs/topics...cy-rights.aspx

Hope this helps

Last edited by Doggy Doo; 13-December-2011 at 21:30.
Old 19-December-2011, 19:53
Waves goodbye

Arrow Re: Redundancy / employment advice please

Evening.

Just letting you know I turned down the part time job this morning, much to the disappointment of the other boss and my co-workers who all thought I should have accepted it.

Having a meeting tomorrow over the future of our team, will probably be given 30 days notice knowing my luck.

Regards,
MT

Old 20-December-2011, 11:29
Screamette

Sending good wishes MegaT
Old 20-December-2011, 19:30
Waves goodbye

Thanks Tia
Old 20-December-2011, 19:33
Waves goodbye

Thumbs up Re: Redundancy / employment advice please

Well, we were told our contracts would be extended until the end of September, however the remaining team may be broken up and placed with the rest of Adult Care into new "sections" / projects

Still, its a job and we all feel a huge weight has been lifted of our shoulders for Xmas.

Thanks all

Old 24-December-2011, 21:11
Trance Addict

At least you were going to get some redundancy, when my job goes in March next year I get sod all. Only been with the company I work for now for 18 months.

At leasst you know you've got something till September.

Tags
birthday, car, christmas, company, line, offer, online, opinion, public, xmas