Old 31-January-2014, 00:42
Screamer

Default The floods

The Environment Agency has proved to be a complete failure against flooding and I believe the whole organisation should be disbanded and make individual councils in charge ( county councils) of flooding and protection of the environment . To be honest its not really there fault that they are inept at what they do or should I say try to do..
They blame lack of money yet over 4 million was found to keep furry creatures in a nice environment yet completely failed in what they supposed to do "protect us " who pay there wages in our taxes
Old 31-January-2014, 10:15
Safe Sane Consensual

Default Re: The floods

Agree that the whole situation is completely unsatisfactory.

You cannot trust the Local Authorities because their planning departments were responsible in so far as they allowed development in flood plains without imposing planning conditions on construction to minimise effects of flooding.

The Government cannot be trusted because it diverts attention to their failures by a focus of energy companies to have an army of people standing by for 99 years to deal promptly with difficulties that may arise every hundred years.

You cannot have the benefit of communal services such as flood protection when a government gives priority to reducing public service and its employees yet criticises public utility companies for their economic levels of staffing,

Why should the cost of all these failures be imposed on every household as an extra levy to cover the extra costs of insuring properties built on flood plains. Why not impose a development tax and planning conditions for such areas?

Rant rant rant
Old 31-January-2014, 11:51
Screamer

Worldlife has every reason to be angry ! and I am shure there millions of others "not happy bunnies".
While we are spending billions on "so-called" third world countries we are not spending the money on where it should be ie "US" here in the uk..
Priorities should be the uk ,sort out our own problems regarding to flooding and river conservation and not allow the EA a cache blanche on things and they stick to what they supposed to be doing and not go on tangents on things that should have not anything to do with them whatsoever !
Mainly sticking there noses in things ( private fisheries) who really cares whether a particular fish is illegal in a private lake.
And I am not happy about they have legal rights to walks all over private land without the permission of the land owner ( except in circumstances like flooding and poisoning of rivers .
Note even the police do not have that right without a court order.
Old 02-February-2014, 12:04
Foxy Lady

Smile Re: The floods

Having recently been tupe'd over from a children's charity (who made me very cynical of large charities after 10 yrs of working for them!) into a local authority, I now find that the local authority is worse than the charity!!

They waste money hand over fist with the way things are run, so there's no surprise there isn't any money to pile into the sensible things we should be concentrating on!!

It's about time we got some sensible, savvy, businessmen to help run each local authority... as well as the government! I think it's about time we started looking at running this country as a business because that's the only way to get us out of the mess we're in.

We need to start charging people when they enter the country, every time they enter, like other countries do... that alone would generate a whole pot of money to help with maintenance of our isle. We also need to stop letting all and sundry into the country when we can't afford to sustain them, after all, you wouldn't take on more staff than you can afford to pay wages to now would you??

Our government and local authorities should take the stance of 'taking care of their own' first, before paying handouts to everyone else!! If we started running this country properly we would have the money to plough into the areas needed, such as housing, flooding, creating work for people, etc.
Old 02-February-2014, 12:58
Screamer

I am not a fan of children (foreign) charities who tell us how bad people are in foreign countries yet when we (mugs!) give them money only to find out that fro every pound we pay to them 90p goes in admin charges and paying off some dodgy official abroad who has got blood on his hands .
I certainly agree in charging foreigners to come here to the uk but be more vigilant in allowing them to stay or should I say overstay. there is a very simple way of doing this (surprised no one has thought of this before) Once arrested you simply send them back to there country of origin..
But I am also worried about charities paying there staff . my view is simply if a charity wants to remain a charity there staff must not be paid or lose there charity status ie its called volunteers ,
Old 03-February-2014, 00:50
Foxy Lady

Large charities have to have paid staff, especially these days, as there aren't enough volunteers, especially ones with the correct qualifications / skills, to do the jobs needed to run the charity as a business. The have to be run as businesses in order to attain their aims & objectives and bring in enough revenue to do so.
Old 03-February-2014, 12:59
Screamager

Oh goody look the BNP/EDL has landed!
WTF has our foreign aid budget got to do with flooding? You cannot excuse yourself from problems elsewhere in the world, in many cases rich western countries and their empires are to blame for the need to provide such aid, we also benefit from from their current state.
You should probably go and read some actual figures for the scale of immigration and our own expats as well as a breakdown of the costs of our welfare system, they may surprise you.
Yes it's unfortunate that some areas are flooded and have been for some time, but there is no simple quick fix. Water management is a complex issue, it needs tackling from multiple angles, in areas that will always include multiple departments, agricultural policies & planning. This dredging fuss at the moment is little more than a political football, there are no experts telling anybody that they would have prevented these floods.
If you increase the rate of flow of a river at one point to alleviate flooding, you move the problem downstream where it will be a bigger problem.
Saying the EA should not be concerned with fluffy animals makes you sound as ignorant as that pompous ass who runs the department.
Old 03-February-2014, 20:09
Foxy Lady

I really do hope you are not including me in the association with the BNP & EDL Robin??!! I certainly don't have anything to do with such groups and take it as an insult that someone would assume I did just because of comments I made that didn't agree with their ideas!!

All we were saying is that our government should take care of what is needed in our country before they go giving money we can ill afford to other countries first. No-one is saying we shouldn't help others but you need to take care of your own first. There should be no argument or discussion about things like that, it should be a given. Charity begins at home!!

Tags
abroad, bad, failure, government, happy, home, make, police, public, sound