Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Hardware

Old 19-February-2012, 22:33
Screamer

Default Problem with Desktop Packard Bell.

Hi all,

I have been given a desktop which I wanted to set up for my kids.
It has a problem that it goes black on the monitor after about 2/5 mins into start up.I tried it on different monitors but with the same result.It was on windows xp.I tried Ubuntu on it with a live cd and it did load but then hung until I switched it off.
I tried it again but this time I started Ubuntu live cd in safe graphics mode and it seemed to stay for over 30 mins.

I can't get the details of the desktop as it will go into blackout mode within 5 mins and I have no idea of getting the details for it using the Ubuntu Live cd.
If I could get the details maybe a report to say if the graphics was ok or not.
I do not have another PCI-E graphics card that I can try so I need a detailed report of whats working and whats not.

Therefore I was wondering if I installed Ubuntu then would it work or would I have the same problem of it shutting down after 5 mins ?

Please advise.
Old 20-February-2012, 13:31

Default Re: Problem with Desktop Packard Bell.

I would just try to fix the problem, does point to a flakey graphics card, should be able to get a cheap pci-e card for ~20 quid or much cheaper on ebay

if the live cd works on safe graphics mode then providing you run ubuntu installed in a similar way it should be fine,. though really try swapping out the graphics card

other random thoughts, check card is seated properly (take it out and push it back in) and also if it's over heating perhaps, is there a fan on it that's stopped working perhaps?
Old 20-February-2012, 15:44
Screamer

cheers for reply mate...

Have tried taking out the card and putting it back in again several times but same thing happens.
There is no fan on it or even near it.
Only desktop fan which seems to be working fine.

Ya live cd works on safe graphics mode so what do u mean install in similar way ?

Any particular card u could suggest on ebay mate ?(that would be my problem solved right ? )
Old 20-February-2012, 21:15

well - until it's tried can't say swapping the graphics card is 100% sure the problem, it does sound like it's very likely the cause

any old pci-e card should be fine, the cheapest one I could find (quickly looking on ebuyer) is 23.50inc vat - ebay should be able to find something cheaper

if you could borrow a card from someone just to try out that would make sure it's the graphics card

ubuntu install, well there should (really must) be a way to install or run ubuntu such that it works in safe graphics mode, exactly how that's done I am less sure,. it might be tricky as well as it will likely detect the graphics card on install and expect you to be using it to full capability

probably install ubuntu as normal but once installed boot it to the command line and edit the graphics startup section - umm again perhaps easier said that done!
Old 20-February-2012, 21:31

Does xp run on in safe mode ? could just be bad drivers for windows
Old 20-February-2012, 21:48
Screamer

Does xp run on in safe mode ? could just be bad drivers for windows
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
nope it doesnot mate.....

cheers silver.... finding the card to borrow is going to be the hard part... see I do not wanna invest on it if ts not the problem.
I got old cards but none fit onto this motherboard !!old ones are just PCI I think !!

Last edited by jin799; 20-February-2012 at 21:53. Reason: more info
Old 20-February-2012, 22:04

ah,. scoobs raises a good point,. if it's gcard and it works in safe mode in ubuntu you should reasonably expect it to run in safe mode on xp..

both safe modes (ubuntu/windows) should access the gcard in the same way / low resolution mode - so you would expect them both to work or both to not work..

humm.. but still it's possibly the gcard,. best thing it to swap it out and be 100% sure
Old 25-February-2012, 17:27
Screamer

cheers ppl will have to check it out once I get back home from work... ( currently in different county for work )
Old 26-February-2012, 19:57
Trance Addict

It could be corrupt install of Windows, if you can't get into safemode that usually points to a fairly well worn out Windows install.

If it's still got it's recovery partition, pressing F11 when you turn the thing on should start the recovery partition and re-install the OS that way. If goes that far and it gives you the option do a destructive recovery and it should then load the system in as it was first new out the box.
Old 19-March-2012, 13:59
Screamer

UPDATE

I tried again but it just goes blank after a while and the monitor goes into power saving mode so have no idea now what it could be.....

I did manage to get windows working after a few restarts but within 10/15 mins it went off.

Any ideas ?
Old 21-March-2012, 16:33
Optimistic Curmudgeon

Have you tried Googling this problem ?

I had a quick look and found that other people have had similar problems, and some mentioned that revised graphics drivers were available.
Old 21-March-2012, 16:39
Screamer

Have you tried Googling this problem ?

I had a quick look and found that other people have had similar problems, and some mentioned that revised graphics drivers were available.
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
cheers for the reply ....
What exactly did you google cos I'm getting my own thread on the google.
Mainly where will I get the "revised graphics drivers" to try ?
Old 21-March-2012, 18:11
I'll get some legs soon..

It could be the CPU overheating. When you restart, as soon as anything appears on the screen, tap the Del key a few times and you should get into the BIOS screen. Somewhere in the BIOS, you may find a section that tells you the CPU temperature. What does that say? Leave the computer on the BIOS screen for a while and see if it has the same problem.

If it does, check that the fan on the CPU is spinning. Also check that the CPU heatsink isn't blocked with dust and fluff. If all that looks okay, it might pay to remove the heatsink, clean it thoroughly on the bottom, clean the top of the CPU, and replace the heatsink using a very thin even layer of heatsink compound.

Tags
bad, cards, computer, google, googling, home, key, line, make, screen, sound, windows