Old 02-March-2013, 00:57
Screamager

Default Sky Buys O2 & Be Unlimited

https://www.bethere.co.uk/portal/broadbandchanges.htm
And O2http://www.o2.co.uk/broadband/broadbandchanges
and some more info here http://beusergroup.co.uk/?id=934

Old 02-March-2013, 12:02

Default Re: Sky Buys O2 & Be Unlimited

humm,. does not sound a wholly positive step for Be customers just when you think everything is working and you don't need to worry about it someone goes and buys them out

/Be (or should I say Sky?) customer
Old 03-March-2013, 04:26
Screamager

Judging the ammount of customers from be in particular requesting Mac codes today, Idoubt there will be many customers left by the time it comes round to being migrated on to Sky's Full LLU network
On the plus side the O2wholesale side of things will continue to be buisness as usual for the time being according to the wholesale partners who have commented on this Entanet and Fluidata

But regarding this news it for many customers isnt a complete suprise, as the lack of any FTTC solution, coupled with delayed network upgrading "converged core network" coupled with several exchange links being congested for months at a time, they have recently even kicked at least one customer off for "excessive use" without being given the change to lower their useage levels,
Then there has been issues with peering capacity, and bbc iplayer streaming is still running out of bandwidth, basically it's been starved of investment by telefonica UK for at least the past year if not longer,

Old 04-March-2013, 12:08

think peoples experience varies greatly,. Be seemed quite techie focused / could deal with techie queries at least and for me / my connection has been very stable and always seems to go at full speed on downloading stuff

I don't ask for much,. fixed IP,. not too expensive,. reasonable amount of download (no idea how much I use, perhaps 50-75gig/month at the most) no throttling
Old 04-March-2013, 21:19
Screamager

Of course , As where you are geographically in the uk is a key factor in how good or poor the service actually is,@My exchange i know that their equipment is currently operating at over 90% of it's capacity, they run things far too close to the wire and have done so for a long time, thanks to o2 ,

As for myself i have seen congestion far too often with BE never saw it once in the 3yrs i was with ukonline , Iplayer never worked properly, and their peering was bad also, But yes unlimited* ( unless exchange congested) no shaping, and free static IP

Be unlimited do offer some options such as fast path, target snr of 3,6,9,12 via a web control panel , Sky won't continue to do this ,

Old 08-March-2013, 03:12
Screamager

This is sad news! I again find myself a broadband refugee

The reason I went to 'Be' in the first place was because Ukonline were being bought by sky and I didn't want to be a sky customer!

I've found 'Be' to be a great service provider and I'm a bit worried that there aren't any similar unlimited services around. (Especially with the ability to switch fast path on and off through the website)

Ive been looking at Plusnet but this site says their upload speed is 398kbps which is a bit crap.

Anyone any idea where to go now?
Old 08-March-2013, 13:38

not yet,. I think I left ukonline for the same reason

do let us know when / if you find somewhere good!
Old 15-March-2013, 04:39
Screamager

O2 telefonica uk also do provide a wholesale service(essentially the same products as BE unlimited) ISP's like

http://www.aquiss.net/,Family or Buisness Unlimited Broadband Range of products are 02 wholesale based

http://adsl24.co.uk/broadband/home/ Premium LLU products= o2 wholesale

http://www.vivaciti.net/

premium home & Premium Business are the o2 wholesale products

There are Xilo/Uno broadband, AAISP plus more isp's who resell o2 wholesale

prices varey some charge a migration/activation fee others do not, prices are similar to the current BEunlimited prices

The wholesale service uses the same existing o2/BE retail connection at the exchange, but will use a different vlan to the Wholesale partners network handover point, So the service will be essential the same, things like IP adressing will change as will the required settings in your router, they all i think will use PPPOA username password log on, So o2 provide backhaul the isp/wholesale partner provide peering,cs and tech support

Old 15-March-2013, 16:07

cool, I'll likely stick with Be until it turns crap or the service terms etc change but good to know what else is around

keep us updated when/if you jump
Old 25-March-2013, 23:26
Screamager

I've already jumped, with Vivaciti on a O2 wholesale product at present, i'm not overly impressed with it though, and i'm paying more !! But it's a monthly contract to another move may well be afoot, with the lack of SMPF LLU providers who allow fastpath ect, Maybe i may as well go for FTTC instead,

Old 25-May-2013, 18:50
Screamager

Now on FTTC 80/20 unlimited with Plusnet

Old 26-May-2013, 18:14

nice,. I was 1/2 thinking of fttc but the ones I saw either they are expensive of they are capped quite low with charges for extra bandwidth,. what's the deal with plusnet?
Old 28-May-2013, 01:01
Screamager

Plusnet have 2 options for FTTC Essentials 40/10 with a usage cap of 40GB @ 15.99 per month & Unlimited 80/20 @ 19.99 per month (Market 2/3 exchanges,only ) Market 1 exchanges will have a higher price Fibre BB only there is a 50.00 installation fee and 5.99 p&p for the router,(that you don't have to use) router is a TG582n ,You also can have a Static IP for a one time fee of 5.00
Also if you also took there home phone service the FTTC install charge is waived , But if you have both phone and BB with o2/BE you would have to switch your phone service prior to the BB because you cannot have be landline with out their BB ,even for a day it would seem,

My line is with BT BTW always has been, I took advantage of a offer of 6mths at half price & cashback of 28.00 via quidco ,contract is 18mths

http://www.plus.net/home-broadband/broadband-only/

My experience so far, order completed on the date that i booked at signup, although the BT openreach engineer wasn't as conscientious as i would of liked as no tests where carried out, he basically plugged the BT modem in connected it up and waited for it to sync ,and was gone,!! , But that's not down to plusnet, the service overhaul isn't too bad, there are some peak time issues though, network jitter slight increase in latency, and in some cases a reduced throughput, which varies from as little as 5mbit to 25mbit lower than the max line speed you get at other times, Most people probably would not notice these things,

Old 28-May-2013, 22:47

cool, thanks for all the info - really interesting

the 80/20 for 19.99 / month for unlimited (plus possible one off install fees etc) seems very reasonable - almost too cheap,. I mean if people really pushed that connection it seems unlikely plusnet could afford the data charges (I am just guessing as I don't know what their peering costs or data costs might be between exchange etc)

I looked on their exchange checker http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/ and my exchange is 'market 3' which means I could get the 19.99 deal (basically it seems if you exchange has competition for ISPs plusnet decides it will be cheaper for you, if your exchange has less choice for ISPs they charge more)

I hate to say it but it seems likely there must be a catch (or catch coming at some point?!) while I don't condone downloading copyright works I wonder what their approach might be to such use, say for example 'reasonable' bittorrent use?

my current ADSL is something like 6/1.5 - so fttc would really be handy - especially at that price

PS, I don't play games online these days so not too worried about a little lag,. if I had an actual unlimited 80/20 I might potentially want to use it to backup PCs to the 'cloud' and that could a lot of data (certainly a lot more than the 40gig/month option!)

Tags
123, adsl, adsl2, bad, bbc, broadband, connection, home, isp, key, line, network, offer, phone, product, router, settings, sky, sound, speed, web