Old 15-January-2013, 23:27
Screamager

Default Drugs

A group of government ministers have insisted that drug taking should be made legal. They argue that it is less of a problem than drinking.

I know we have prats like Richard Branson advocating the same, but what is it with these people? Do they really think that their ivory towers would protect them were such an act to be enabled?
Old 17-January-2013, 02:45
Fuel = Coffee & Smoke

Default Re: Drugs

If this did happen then the market could be regulated and a people would know what they are taking instead of some random cocktails of random chemicals.....

Anyway, drugs.... been there, done that, got bored.
Old 20-January-2013, 01:44
Screamager

Hi CaNsA.
Interesting sign-in matey. I won't ask it's significance, I'm sure you will tell us if you feel you want to. I am happy to listen should you wish to my friend.
As you may have guessed, I never have and never will take drugs of any kind. Perhaps I've lived a charmed life.
I'll call you Tom or Sarah, can't like your Scream name.

Tom/Sarah, can I ask why you tried drugs? No I'm not a preacher, I accept the world as it is, life is life. I neither condemn nor endorse the taking of drugs, but I do wonder why some should wish for it to be made legal.

Care to share your thoughts?
Old 21-January-2013, 17:19
Screamette

You big fibber greatlover
Old 24-January-2013, 01:54
Screamager

I am more than happy for you to explain your comments Tia matey.
I do not have any pills or tablets in my house, not even headache pills. I don't like them. If I must take say antibiotics, I take only enough until I feel better, I then discard the rest.
My comment about not condeming drug taking goes as far as believing that if you are stupid enough to take them and you suffer for it, tough, it was your choice.
Taking drugs doesn't allow you to 'escape' life for a while, it allows you to 'hide' from it.
Old 26-January-2013, 12:14
Screamette

Many people HAVE to take drugs to survive.....
.....were I to refuse my asthma medication, I don't know how long I'd be here.....
and it would be a VERY miserable, uncomfortable, existence if I lived!
Thank goodness for drugs!

GL, you have admitted in your last post that you HAVE taken drugs....
.....which is why I called you a fibber when you said you hadn't
Old 28-January-2013, 13:48

I think the first issue is one of history,. for some strange reason people don't tend to think of tobacco or alcohol (or taking it even further caffeine / other over the counter stimulants) as drugs

clearly there's really not that much difference between legal and illegal drugs, for example alcohol and illegally acquired or prescription barbiturates,. the only difference is the government classification

many (many) studies exist that attest to the harmful social and physical problems of alcohol use

the question could be, would we be better off as a society with currently illegal drugs brought into a regulated legal framework (I don't think anyone would suggest children should have access to heroin!)

my general thoughts are either all drugs are bad and need to be prohibited (this isn't working very well!) or that drugs exist and we need to mitigate harm with their use,. I personally think harm reduction is the really the only way that makes sense
Old 30-January-2013, 02:01
Screamager

Firstly, naughty girl Tia, you knew full well that I was refering to drugs such as LSD, heroin, crack.
Silver my friend, you offer much to be considered, but I think we all really accept that what we are talking about are mind bending drugs, LSD, cannabis, heroin, etc.
Your points are valid and obviously do have merit, but .... would you mug, burgle or even kill for your next cup of coffee or pint of beer? I think not.
I also take on CaNsA's point. At least the adicts would know that what they were taking was safe. Good point. But if it is not supplied free, which means that I am paying for it, then we are back to square one.
My feeling remains the same. If you cannot live your life without the need for drugs, do not worry, it will be a short life. RIP
Old 30-January-2013, 20:49
Screamette

Firstly, naughty girl Tia, you knew full well that I was refering to drugs such as LSD, heroin, crack.
Originally Posted by greatlover View Post
What about cannabis cookies
Old 31-January-2013, 10:52

Silver my friend, you offer much to be considered, but I think we all really accept that what we are talking about are mind bending drugs, LSD, cannabis, heroin, etc.
Your points are valid and obviously do have merit, but .... would you mug, burgle or even kill for your next cup of coffee or pint of beer? I think not..
I think alcohol is one of the most 'mind bending' drugs strangely,. and while we may not imagine someone being held up at gunpoint for a pint of beer I don't think you'd find any instances of that with LSD or cannabis, both of which are likely less addictive than alcohol

what's funny is that perhaps something very addictive like crack cocaine (something I have not tried!) may cause someone to turn to crime to fund their habit,. a simple method of harm reduction is to allow those people controlled access to alternatives at no charge to them., this removes two harms, to the person they have a safe alternative and can be medically supervised plus the removal of crime associated with the illegal network of dealers and the 'addict' not needing to commit crime to fund their habit
Old 03-February-2013, 01:40
Screamager

Yep that sounds good to me silver mate.

So we give free drugs to people without a brain
We give money to burglars and muggers so they won't have to do what they do.
We have free brothals so rapists won't have to do what they do
and so on.......

Wow silver, no more crime. You've cracked it matey.
Old 03-February-2013, 01:42
Screamager

What about cannabis cookies
Originally Posted by Tia View Post
Do you really want me to go there Tia matey?
Old 03-February-2013, 20:30

Yep that sounds good to me silver mate.

So we give free drugs to people without a brain
We give money to burglars and muggers so they won't have to do what they do.
We have free brothals so rapists won't have to do what they do
and so on.......

Wow silver, no more crime. You've cracked it matey.
lol, certainly on the drug side yes,. certain drugs are illegal while other drugs are legal but there is little sense in how the law came to this arrangement,. the cost of making illegal drugs is pence but the street cost is high because of the illicit network/prohibition

you can supply someone with heroin (a drug that is far less damaging to the body than alcohol) for massively less than the street price,. plus they won't have to rob your house to pay for their fix,.. you do the sums
Old 05-February-2013, 02:02
Screamager

Ah ha, now I understand silver matey. You are or were a drug user. I'm not knocking you mate, if you felt or feel that life is/was better with drugs then who am I to tell you that you are wrong.
But let me ask as question. Ok, drugs are now legal, but are they free? No, apparently not, they still have to be paid for. So, we now have ten times as many people requiring drugs and they don't have the money to pay for them.
Do you like to go out of a night silver my friend?
Old 05-February-2013, 16:41

I am not suggesting everyone should take drugs at all,. in fact it clearly causes many problems (you only have to see the anti-social behaviour caused by alcohol use in many towns on a friday+saturday night to know the kind of problems or visit a hospital A+E on those nights!)

the problem is that unfortunately many people do take drugs,. let's use heroin as an example of an illegal drug (though many people are prescribed morphine and it's a very good drug for those users),. so let's say illegal users of heroin can become addicted,. to the point of it taking over their lives,. many harms come from this,. there can be a large personal cost to them and in some cases to wider society (crime to pay for habit etc)

harm reduction is not about getting more people to take drugs, it's about reducing the harm caused by those drugs,. those people need help,. the cost of reducing the harm is cheaper than fixing the social problems like crime and the medical cost of dealing with the issues from illegal drugs - those people can be given drugs at no cost (which saves money!)

I have never taken heroin but have known people who deal day to day looking after those who are addicted to heroin,. their views are much the same as mine,. harm reduction is the only sensible way to deal with the drug problem

edit, to ask a specific question,. if not 'harm reduction' what is your favoured method to deal with the problems created by use of illegal (or perhaps legal) drugs?

Last edited by silver; 05-February-2013 at 16:50.
Old 14-February-2013, 03:24
Screamager

I get your points silver matey and I do respect them, but we are looking at this problem from two different angles. Would you rob a bank? Would you murder someone, would you rape someone? You could you know ... if it was what you chose to do.

So, would you be so considerate to the bank robber, the murderer or the rapist? We all have a choice in life to do or not to do, just as those who take drugs have. I do agree to a point though. A murderer for instance, is to me clearly sick in the head and incapable of rational thought. Whereas a drug user is capable of rational thought but ends up sick in the head.

You explain it to me.
Old 16-February-2013, 00:02

many police forces won't prosecute for possession of small amounts of certain 'illegal' drugs

do you think the police are being considerate to drug takers or it is a common sense approach

I don't really understand at all why you equate drug taking with bank robbing, murdering or raping,. it's clear to most people that different offences require different penalities, do you think that drug penalities should be tougher and that is the solution to the drug problem?
Old 16-February-2013, 01:52
Screamager

Silver my friend, would you suggest for one minute that murder, muggings, burglary, etc, etc don't happen because of drugs? Ok, make them legal, but are you trying to convince me that making them legal will prevent it from addling brains?

I don't agree with much about America, but I do agree with their drug laws.

But can I ask you a question. Rather than me offer my opinion on why I am against drugs, perhaps you might like to suggest why they should be handed out freely? I'm sorry but that seems to me a bit like saying 'Have no speed limit and less people will die' (I think)
Old 20-February-2013, 13:02

the premise of changing the way that illegal drug users are dealt with and/or changing the drug laws is to remove or reduce the issues associated with illegal drug use

let's use your example of speed limits, in hopes it will make more sense,. let's say exceeding the speed limit causes more accidents (whether this is true is another matter) one approach could be tighter enforcement of speed limits (more speed traps etc) and that might work

other approaches could be to educate drivers better about how to moderate speed according to conditions, 90mph on an empty motorway in fine conditions might be totally ok and other times 70mph is too fast

we might also consider to change road layouts, improve visibility and road markings or add barriers so pedestrians don't walk out into traffic,.

there are many ways to 'fix' road deaths and a simple approach of tighter controls may not be the best way

the drug problem is much more complex than simple speeding issues so many things that can sensibly be done to fix the issues associated with drug use simply don't apply,. if we could for example provide each habitual speed limit breaker with their own road network they would have no chance to hit other drivers or pedestrians while exceeding the speed limit - not realistic for speeding but for drug users we can very easily manage the addiction such that harm does not result to the wider society
Old 23-February-2013, 01:50
Screamager

I get your point silver mate and I see where you are going, and I also agree to a certain extent your argument. But ....

The law says 70 mph on a motorway, over that you can get fined.
The law says drugs are illegal, take them and face the penalty
The law says sex with animals is illegal
The law says rape is illegal
And so on .....

Should we change all of these rules?

My question remains the same, why would any sane person want to addle their brain with drugs? And why should I have to live next door to a (legal) brain dead drug taker?
Old 23-February-2013, 12:49
Screamette

Yeah......the smell and the flies might be too much to cope with
Old 23-February-2013, 15:17

I get your point silver mate and I see where you are going, and I also agree to a certain extent your argument. But ....

The law says 70 mph on a motorway, over that you can get fined.
The law says drugs are illegal, take them and face the penalty
The law says sex with animals is illegal
The law says rape is illegal
And so on .....

Should we change all of these rules?

My question remains the same, why would any sane person want to addle their brain with drugs? And why should I have to live next door to a (legal) brain dead drug taker?
if there were a magic wand to prevent everyone taking drugs recreationaly then great (I'd include alcohol in that for sure as it causes many social issues) and the world might be in a better place - similarly if we could stop all rape / murder whatever else that would be cool (people killing each other in general including state sanctioned killing which appears to be legal for some reason)

we don't live in that world,. "laws" are not some immutable fact of our existence like gravity,. they are created social constructs and subject to change and actually should and must change,. one example could be changing UK law to allow assisted suicide in certain situations seem to make a lot of sense to many people,. at the moment you have to go outside the UK to a different jurisdiction which makes a difficult situation harder

the fact we live in the UK and are subject to UK laws doesn't mean all the laws are somehow right,. if you think they are that's fine,. personally I see all kinds of things that should change and those changes would be of benefit to society

I'm sure there's plenty of laws that I'd agree with but others I don't,. can you not think of a single UK law that makes no logical sense and you might like to see changed?
Old 02-March-2013, 02:00
Screamager

Silver my friend, you surprise me. I spoke up against those that take drugs, and you resonded, as did others I will say. My surprise is that clearly you have a great deal to say, not only about drugs but many other things. I wonder then why, given the opportunity via the 'Scream' you have not done so before?

You raise a number of different issues my friend, too many for one thread. Too many for me anyway. Might I suggest that you break them up? Don't worry if you or I seem to be dominating 'General Chatty Stuff', others can talk if they wish.

I'm not running away from the drugs discussion but I am intringued by your comment 'State sanctioned killing'. A bold, and if I may say so, a brave statement my friend. Surely worthy of a seperate thread. Be bold mon-ami, at worst we can be barred .... or shot .... or ... oh what the hell
Old 02-March-2013, 18:51
Screamette

We still on drugs?
Old 06-March-2013, 14:41
Screamager

Well .... um ..... erm ...... that's what this thread is about Tia matey.
Old 07-March-2013, 00:35

most people are on drugs of one sort or another

as to the previous question "And why should I have to live next door to a (legal) brain dead drug taker?"

perhaps you shouldn't

if the question is more like would you rather live next to a drug taker getting their fix legally or the same situation but getting their fix illegally then legally would be my choice,. a friend of mine is prescribed oramorph (not that different to heroin) and leads a healthy productive life

as said if no one took drugs recreationally even better,.
Old 07-March-2013, 02:04
Screamager

And there you have it my friend. We go back to the original point of this thread. 'if no one took drugs recreationally even better,.'

So what do you think making them legal would do?
Old 27-December-2013, 23:59
Screamer

there are certain drugs that should never be legal ie crack and heroine etc The guys who sell it are making money out of peoples misery and there victims either end up dead or in a hospital ,which us the tax payer has to for them to be drained out of drugs..
I do believe that drug dealers should get the maximum that the judge can give them . and there victims? well the only way of getting them off the drugs is not give them more drugs but to dry them out in special hospitals
Old 28-December-2013, 11:04
Safe Sane Consensual

there are certain drugs that should never be legal ie crack and heroine etc The guys who sell it are making money out of peoples misery and there victims either end up dead or in a hospital ,which us the tax payer has to for them to be drained out of drugs..
I do believe that drug dealers should get the maximum that the judge can give them . and there victims? well the only way of getting them off the drugs is not give them more drugs but to dry them out in special hospitals
Originally Posted by flashgordon1952 View Post
Should alcohol be considered an addictive drug and severely restricted for its known and proven consequences to health, family life or our late night environment?

Until this is done I believe it is "speaking with forked tongue" to regard use of cannabis, that does not have the recorded adverse consequences to the extent of alcohol, as a criminal offence and storing alcohol not!

Yes the traders in hard drugs should be dealt with and the issue is whether we have enough effective police resources to do so or whether control and licencing, where low cost supplies or addictive treatments would be available, could destroy the market created by illegality.

My goodness it think I may have created a new scenario! Provided one participates in anti addiction training sessions people will be able to pop into a subsidised bar and have a lager whilst watching videos of drunken car crashes, late night drunks in city centres, and drunks beating their wife or child When you reached a stipulated maximum dose recorded on your personal card or booklet you would not be able to purchase further supplies of alcohol anywhere! Drinks in supermarkets would be subject to rationing to avoid the addict evading the bar controls.

Last edited by Worldlife; 28-December-2013 at 11:11.
Old 28-December-2013, 23:47
Screamer

I rarely drink but I know there are a lot of stupid people who drink in excessive ! Then start the denial that they drink too much or not an alcoholic etc etc. The truth is that anyone who drinks over the stipulated amount of alcohol advised by the medical profession , is in fact drinking too much alcohol and likely to cause them permanent damage. I take the view is that they are suffering from some sort of mental problem and need help.. Especially if they saw they can handle there alcohol intake. ie more than one bottle of wine is over the limit. and well over the limit to drive as well.
See that's why we have a drink driving ban in this country.
Yet in France under 16s often drink wine at home and appears to be normal in French house holds to do this... But there drink driving law is similar to us in the uk

Tags
419, bad, car, crack, dead, france, free, happy, health, home, law, line, make, mobile, network, offer, opinion, phone, police, public, share, speed, speeding, talk, zero