Go Back   The Scream! > COMMUNITY FORUMS > General Chatty Stuff

Old 22-December-2013, 14:26
Trance Addict

Default Have we all done our Christmas shopping then ?

I know I have, finished it up last week. Got organized and did all online.

Also made use of the Amazon gift wrapping service, I hate wrapping stuff, would rather pay someone to do it for me rather than make a complete and utter hash of it.

Was quite surprised 2 weeks ago when Royal Mail delivered Donna's present on a Sunday ! Postie caught me still in bed at almost 11am in the morning, ran down the stairs in me dressing gown, not a pretty site to behold, at all.
Old 22-December-2013, 15:26
Rambler

Default Re: Have we all done our Christmas shopping then ?

>Behemoth, know the feeling I have also been caught out by postie, I also done most off mine, online this year as no transport only mobility scooter.
All done now, thank goodness.
Old 22-December-2013, 17:18
Formerly exstreamuser

Have we all done our Christmas shopping then ?
Yes and no.

I have to admit to making full use of online shopping for all. Everyone is at a distance and so are any decent shops! Save a fortune on petrol and waiting times too. I don't hugely mind this. Even if I were in the city I may still be better off shopping online. I might and I might not. Just depends.

The answer to the question is that I have done all I intend to. Of course, there are still last minute grocery items to get but that is fairly normal.
Old 22-December-2013, 20:54
Safe Sane Consensual

We had a discounted Christmas Meal for 8, including a free range turkey, through the Daily Mail token collection scheme.

We are a bit worried by some of the vegetables! The carrots and parsnips are huge and the Brussels sprouts are much larger than those we normally buy from a supermarket.

Are they likely to be tough or too strong in flavour? Presumably the fresh baby stuff flown in from Kenya is not for a traditional Christmas lunch.

What nostalgia for the warm, atmospheric winds of a Brussels Christmas

Old 23-December-2013, 13:03
Trance Addict

Got a few smaller items to get myself, given that our Christmas plans have changed. Found out one of my friends would be spending Christmas on her own and I was instructed by Donna to invite her over to stay, so I think she will be getting on the train from Cardiff tomorrow.

We've already got Donna's families dog as they have too many round so our Christmas plans went right out of the window.

Just need to make the spare room presentable now, it looks like a total bomb site !
Old 23-December-2013, 14:04
Formerly exstreamuser

LOL Just thinking about my spare rooms ... Yeah, my first thought was bombsite but to be honest, they're not that bad. One I could press into action within an hour or two. I think I am lacking bedding for the others.

Internet turned bad on Saturday, so some of my time today has been spent dealing with the correspondence, logging and communication on it. I need to get my assets out the door and get the rest dealt with this afternoon. I really do not want to be doing this tomorrow!
Old 23-December-2013, 15:54
Trance Addict

I've just seen how busy the local Tesco is, wondering if I can retract my invite to my friend ?

Meh only joking, I only popped over to buy my lunch, it was mental people with 2 trollerys full trying to use the self service !!
Old 23-December-2013, 16:06
Formerly exstreamuser

Oh geez! Maybe I will go at 10:30 PM and take my chances on there being stock.
Old 23-December-2013, 20:14
Trance Addict

It was madness, Polish staff couldn't, or wouldn't more like understand English when asked where are the whole cloves ? The English staff weren't much better.

Pay peanuts, get monkeys !
Old 23-December-2013, 20:34
Formerly exstreamuser

TBH, I have not been in a Tescos for at least a year and maybe two. Firstly, it advertises as 24 hours and yet it is not. Secondly, the stock is so poor there was little I could buy. Use by dates all very close. I just decided not to go again.

While I cannot agree with your statement, I cannot disagree either. In fact, it does make a whole lot of sense. Tescos are in bad financial shape, so yes they probably can only afford to pay peanuts. I refuse to use a Sainsburys and besides it is not exactly "all that" to me. I think it is a love it, hate it sort of thing. The funny thing is that years ago, I only ever really used Tescos.

I'm lucky to have a half-decent Morissons only 5-6 mins walk away. It has what I want and the prices are OK - but they have shot up a lot this year.

The weather is foul here, so the combination of your experience of busyness and that made me decide to chance it later. I really do not know why they open so late in December but WTH, I may as well take advantage of actually being able to walk around the place unhindered and with no grannies fighting over the reduced stuff.
Old 24-December-2013, 12:48
Trance Addict

I prefer Asda, but given Tesco was close to where I work it makes sense to use them rather than drive 2 miles and get stuck in traffic.
Old 24-December-2013, 13:36
Formerly exstreamuser

I have never had an Asda close. I could not tell you where my nearest is. This could be anything from 20-40 miles away.

My late night expedition worked well on all fronts. The winds abated around 9PM (only to build again around midnight) and I was able to get everything I needed.

Job done!
Have we all done our Christmas shopping then ?
Answer: yes!

Tags
amazon, bad, christmas, collection, free, happy, line, mail, make, online, online shopping, shopping, tesco