Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Hardware > ADSL Router Mods

Old 22-September-2010, 21:06
boostingneeded

Smile Guidance needed! Boosting BT Business Hub. Please help me lovely people!

Hello,

I posting this here as after a lot of searching this forum has the most intelligent people when it comes to wireless setups.
I have a small business in London and have a BT Business Hub that works fine but my signal needed boosting.
So I bought a Buffalo Wireless-G as it has the best reviews but I cant for the life of me figure out how to boost my signal once the two were put in place.
Im not totally useless when it comes to computers but wireless network boosting has flummoxed me!
Im in need of some very simple 1-2-3 instructions on plugging the two together and setting them both up to provide the best possible wireless signal strength to reach all corners of my 13,000 sq foot property.

I hope somebody can help all I can offer is my thanks in advance.

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/6...ernetsetup.jpg
Old 23-September-2010, 08:42
Screamager

Default Re: Guidance needed! Boosting BT Business Hub. Please help me lovely people!

Hi boostingneeded,welcome to The Scream.
Looking at your Buffalo router I noted these comments on the web:

Wireless G (802.11g, 2.4GHz)

"With Wireless G you can easily set up a wireless network at home or in the office, without cables. Wireless G is ideal for use in modest properties (e.g. Modern Semi Detached House) and for Web-surfing, email on Broadband connections below 8Mbps".

So to try and cover 13,000 sq.ft will be pretty difficult or probably impossible with this router, even with an N type router, ............ if your property contains a lot of metalwork,ie steel beams,metal stud partition walls etc. you have little or no chance of achieving a stable wireless network in this enviroment, thats only my opinion tho.

JT
Old 23-September-2010, 12:09
Screamager

Default Re: Guidance needed! Boosting BT Business Hub. Please help me lovely people!

Hello again, One idea you could try is to use networking over the mains wiring,have a Google. There are many types available and priced accordingly.
This works by connecting your computer to the 13amp module via an ethernet cable,the module then sends the data over the 230v mains system to another module that is connected to your router,effectively your "wired network". There are some drawbacks to this:

1 If you run machinery in your premises, interference can be a problem.
2 Commercial premises are generally fed by a "3phase" mains supply, this means that some parts of you property may be on different phases, these modules won't work across different phases.. well not the ones I have tried.
An electrician can identify the phases for you.

Hope this helps

JT
Old 23-September-2010, 12:23
boostingneeded

Dear Jacktar,

Thank you for the reply. Although the property is large I don't need wireless over the entire floor area. I just want to boost the signal as much as possible, if it doesn't reach the corners it doesn't matter.
So I thought the Buffalo Wireless-G would at least give me some extra area on my signal.

Unfortunately networking over the mains wouldn't be suitable due to a 'bespoke' electrical set up at the business where there are over 45 totally separate circuits on the floor (its a professional mess but needed for the business). So data over the mains system is out.

I have all the cables that came the both devices and would really appreciate some steps from anybody on how to wire these two together and get them working.

Many thanks
Old 25-September-2010, 14:32
Screamager

Ok, see if this helps: http://www.labnol.org/internet/conne...routers/13517/

Tags
broadband, bt, bt business hub, cable, computer, email, google, handbags, home, hub, internet, line, network, offer, online, opinion, reviews, router, web, wireless