Go Back   The Scream! > COMMUNITY FORUMS > General Chatty Stuff

Old 14-December-2006, 14:02
wristy

Default Re: Car mechanics forum - help!

Screamers,

I dont know if it has already been mentioned earlier in the thread, but for automotive help and advice I can personally recommend www.preloved.co.uk.

You do need to sign up ( its free ) go to the forum area and then select the relevant brand of car you have a problem with.

Sometimes queries dont get much response but, just like the scream, the site has a good mix of keen home enthusiasts and professionals that contribute.

hope it helps....wristy
Old 16-December-2006, 17:15
gb9vs

Thanks for that, i had a look but no help their either. Did manage to get a DTC up using the dashboard route. Got up code P2900 but Gendan has not heard of it and strangely niether has my local Ford dealers. Any ever heard of DTC P2900 ? if so what the hell is it.
Old 17-December-2006, 00:52
Optimistic Curmudgeon

DTC P2900 is a fault code for a lean air/fuel mixture according to the LAF (lean air/fuel) sensor. I assume this would be the same as the Oxygen sensor in the exhaust manifold/pipe, so yours could be faulty. I assume your Ford dealers aren't total imbeciles so they should be able to check it and/or it's associated wiring ?
Old 24-December-2006, 13:13
alexfido

hi,heres an interesting fact,any garage can service a car still under warrenty as long as they use original parts,might be better to pay 20 anhour rather than 60+.alex on 01395576780
Old 25-December-2006, 14:12
Rejiak

Default Re: 99 Ford Focus Diesel engine revs down on accelerating

Sorry for the thread creep, but seeing as there are people on here who seem to know a thing or two about Diesel engines, I was wondering if you could help me with the following. If you have suggestions for another forum on which to post this then please send that too:

1999 British-registered Ford Focus Diesel
124000 miles

I've just purchased this car used from colleague whom I trust. Lately though, as I'm driving, accelerating in second, third or fourth gear, the engine just revvs back down to idle for now apparent reason. At the same time, the glow plug light indicator (the one with the filament coil) flashes. No other lights come on (not even the engine management light). No strange noises are heard. The only cure to this is to simply swith the engine off and back on again. Sometimes the problem happens every 3 minutes, but I've also gone 80 miles without anything happening all day.

I've taken the car to a mechanic. They've done a diagnostic scan but have found nothing. They admit there's a problem as they drove the car and experienced the fault themselves. They now recommend that I take the car to a Ford dealer here in England. I'll do that but it's quite expensive so I was wondering whether someone might have an idea of what the problem is.

Thanks.
Originally Posted by glider26 View Post
Hi, I'm having the same problem, can someone help. Thenks help.
Old 25-December-2006, 14:14
Rejiak

Default Re: 99 Ford Focus Diesel engine revs down on accelerating

Hi, I'm having the same problem, can someone help Thanks
Old 26-December-2006, 13:13
pots

I have problems with partially blocked injectors on a 03 1.6 petrol astra. Would anyone know what is the best petrol additive to clear all these problems? Thanksl
Old 26-December-2006, 23:51
alexfido

hi unless there has been a change in the law ,you are intitled to go into a ford dealership and ask to see the technical service bulitins,i assume this applies to all makes of cars,but i could be wrong.alex on 01395576780
Old 28-December-2006, 13:39
stephen

Hi everyone. I would be very grateful if anyone has any advice on the following problem:
Ford Fiesta 1.25 zetec S Reg

I have a aproblem with the REVS when changing gear (whilst the car is in motion, not when starting from stationary).
when the clutch is down the car begins to make loud revving noises and when the car is put into the next highest gear, the revs remain high (without touching the accelerator).
when changing down a gear, the revs continue to stay high and the car does not begin to slow down unless the brakes are applied. if the clutch is dipped and released, the car sometimes reverts back to normal decceleration.
The AA have looked at the car twice in regards to this problem. the first time they said it was the speed control valve, however when a new one was out on, this did not fix the problem. the second AA mechanic found that by disconnecting the speed sensor connector on clutch housing, this resolved the problem, therefore in needed a new speed sensor switch, which i proceeded to buy and replace in the car. unfortunately this has not fixed the proiblem and the car is still revving.
any help or advice would be much appreciated!
Old 28-December-2006, 16:57
Optimistic Curmudgeon

If by disconecting the speed sensor connector the over revving stopped, then the fault still lies somewhere along the same electrical path, possibly a wire shorting out somewhere in the circuit. I suppose the 'new' speed sensor switch isn't actually faulty, or is it ?
Old 10-January-2007, 17:31
garrydixon2006@hotmail

Unhappy Re: Question

i have a problem with a nissan almera it has avery light hesitasion low down i have scaned it nothink showed up plugs changed coils changed co ok any help out there please

Last edited by garrydixon2006@hotmail; 10-January-2007 at 23:08.
Old 10-January-2007, 19:58
Optimistic Curmudgeon

Could be a very slight air leakage causing a weak mixture at low throttle setting....something like a split or hole in an air bypass pipe or a loose throttle body perhaps.
Old 10-January-2007, 23:11
garrydixon2006@hotmail

Default Re: Question

i have a problem with a nissan almera it has avery light hesitasion low down i have scaned it nothink showed up plugs changed coils changed co ok any help out there please
Originally Posted by garrydixon2006@hotmail View Post
thank you i will look for leak.
Old 11-January-2007, 01:13
Screamager

Wife had a water leak in the Galaxy today, It seemed to sort its self out once she got towed out of the foot and a half puddle she tried to drive through.

It then took me the next 90 mins drying all the electrics to get the thing going again

LOL

DD
Old 08-May-2007, 07:25
charliefire

Hi, i have a 1998 mondeo st24 and have found that my air conditioning is not coming on, it lights up but nothing else. i thought it might be the relay first as i couldn't hear it click on when i pressed the switch. does anyone know where the relay is situated as it says under the instrument panel on the right but i have looked all over the right hand side and can't seem to find it.
many thanks charlie
Old 09-May-2007, 01:38
Screamager

Could be it needs re-gassing, it should be checked every 2 years i understand
Old 11-May-2007, 20:43
smaug000

my appologies for being so rude but im a bit desperate!! i have a uk renault megane coupe 1.6 on a uk s plate (98-99) engine type eng k7m-702/720 and the head has decided to cut its own wrists grumble grumble i have somebody doing the work for me tomorrow but i need to find the head torque settings and the tightening sequence from the net and i am getting no luck please (on bended knee ) could anybody help?
Old 11-May-2007, 22:08
Optimistic Curmudgeon

I'd be tempted to phone a friendly local dealer's workshop manager (or foreman) and ask them the question.
Old 23-June-2007, 21:39
Safe Sane Consensual

Default Filling up your fuel tank - blowbacks

Found that I cannot fill my Skoda Superb at some diesel pumps without getting blowback that stops the pump. One therefore has to fill very slowly and carefully.

I have now found the answer is to twist the discharge nozzle round so the pump trigger is pointing upwards instead of downwards.

Noticed this afternoon that there was another car owner also with an inverted nozzle (ooh Doctor!)

Anyone else experience this problem? Do you know why the upside down nozzle rectifies the problem and if this affects safety cut out mechanisms?
Old 19-July-2007, 22:37
dan the car man

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i have a vauxhall frontera 2.3 diesel
ive just put a second hand engine in to my car, i used some bits of the original car on this second hand engine like the fuel injection pump .
only problem is all the alignments are out in the fuel injection pump ? so the car doesnt run right ?
ive had my haynes manual out and read it backwards upside down inside out and it still doesnt tell me hows to set the fuel pump to tdc for the number one cylinder ?
there is a small mark on the bottom of the spline on the pump but nothing that i can see to align it to ?
any chance you can help me out cus i would like to have it running right before sunday haha

regards dan
Old 10-August-2007, 15:05
venu

hi all,

I have a 2003 reg ford mondeo diesel automatic.
It starts perfectly at a single turn of key. But when I hit the brakes, the engine cuts off. Also when I take my leg off the accelerator, the glow plug start glowing and the engine cuts off again.

This all happens mostly in the mornings and sometimes in the night as well.

I took the car to a mechanic, he scanned it and found a fuel injection pump code. He cleared the code and replaced a censor and asked me to try it for a week.

It worked fine for 3 days and again the problem started. the mechanic scanned again but didnt find any error codes this time.

He says, he has to dismount the fuel tank and check for filings which might be blocking the fuel to reach the engine.

But I think it is certainly not the way. My guess is the solenoid, not heating up properly or is malfunctioning.

Can somebody guide me?
Old 10-August-2007, 23:35
Optimistic Curmudgeon

Sounds like an electrical problem. Probably a short in the wiring or a sensor if it lights up the glowplug indicator. I'd recommend taking it to a good auto electrician.
Old 12-August-2007, 11:27
venu

thanks mate, shall do that asap.
Old 23-August-2007, 21:26
Grandy

Default Car mechanics forum - help!

I have a Rover 25 and each time i brake it makes a squeaking noise, its worse on some days than others. Is it something serious or trivial. My braking is unaffected. I live in a very humid place Gibraltar, coupled with salty air etc.
Any advice will be gratefully recieved.
Grandy
Old 23-August-2007, 23:33
Optimistic Curmudgeon

Could be a rust buildup on the brake discs, esp if only used infrequently. Any salty environment is a killer for cars. This sound is usually a sort of rumbly squeaky noise and a decent run somewhere and fairly frequent and hefty use of the brakes will probably make the noise disappear until the next time !

If the sound is more like a metallic screeching, it might be that the brake pads have worn down to the metal backings...in which case they urgently need attention, as will the brake discs.
Old 30-November-2007, 18:20
paulg

I have a problem with a Fiat Barchetta 1.8i.It runs and pulls smoothly above 2500 revs,but is jerky and erratic below and at idle.It is not a constant misfire.I have changed the plugs and put in injector cleaner,it has no in line fuel filter,and has only done 40kmiles and is well maintained.Before this started,it ran perfectly,and still returns good mpg.It was 1/2 way through a tank of petrol when it began.Thanks for any help.Paulg
Old 30-November-2007, 18:42
Austin_KW

Doggy sensor (O2 etc)?

Edit; I really must read what I type, I meant " a dodgy sensor"
Old 05-December-2007, 16:10
Optimistic Curmudgeon

I have a problem with a Fiat Barchetta 1.8i.It runs and pulls smoothly above 2500 revs,but is jerky and erratic below and at idle.It is not a constant misfire.I have changed the plugs and put in injector cleaner,it has no in line fuel filter,and has only done 40kmiles and is well maintained.Before this started,it ran perfectly,and still returns good mpg.It was 1/2 way through a tank of petrol when it began.Thanks for any help.Paulg
Originally Posted by paulg View Post

I very much doubt that this car doesn't have a fuel filter. They're usually an aluminium 'can' between the high pressure fuel pump and the fuel rail to the injectors. It sounds like this needs replacement, and probably has done since @ 30k miles.

It's also possible that there is either an air leak in the intake system, possibly from a split or disconnected pipe, or the idle bypass valve is sticking.

Last edited by centaur; 05-December-2007 at 16:18.
Old 05-December-2007, 16:25
Austin_KW

Or a leak in the vacuum hose?
Old 05-December-2007, 19:44
paulg

Hi.The Barchetta post 1999 doesn't have an in line filter.Fiat moved it onto the petrol pump,and is not supposed to be changed.Before this year,they did have one at the back of the car. I have had a look round,can't see anything,and am having a garage do a diagnostic test tomorrow.I will post the finding.Thanks for ideas.Paul

Tags
accelerator, bad, battery, blocking, cancellation, car, computer, digital, failure, forward, fuel pump, google, happy, home, internet, lights, liverpool, lost, make, mechanics, shop, sound, speed, tools, van