Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > News

Closed Thread

Old 24-November-2013, 18:37

Default Re: The SCREAM is closing!

Thanks Vic.
Old 24-November-2013, 18:46

Until I got Gem's email the other day (while away from home, hence the delay) I'd not been here for a long while. A few questions:

1. Is The Scream particularly active?
2. Is it worth preserving (even if as a read only database)
3. Would there be appetite for its continuance? I likely have spare server space to port the database. Does anyone know if it would port into, say, PHPBB?
Old 25-November-2013, 17:52

TS! forums have been pretty quiet for a while (like couple posts a week or less some weeks)

read only partly considered it but really I think it's value was in being able to interact with people

decision to let the site go isn't easy,. is a lot of attachment to it,. but hard to justify keeping it online with no one really using it and even though upkeep of server / forum software etc is not large it's still got to be done and someone with time/inclination to keep doing it (1999 - 2013 is fairly good innings)

good to see you in any case
Old 25-November-2013, 17:54

"We apologise for not billing you on a regular basis. This is an oversight on our part."

yes,. it's been a while but I think I got a good amount of unpaid access, also was on the WOL ADSL trial which I think was discounted as well, then the trip to meet Doc and Jeremy at screaming.net offices with a free pen+clock,. surprising they would invite a bunch of us there at all
Old 26-November-2013, 21:38

Its a real shame, but the main factors behind it are:

1) Posting has really tailed off, its barely used.
2) We used to make £100/month from Googleads, but they took umbrage at something and pulled the advertising
3) I havent had any time to spend either on posting or doing techy behind the scenes stuff
4) All I really seemed to end up doing was replying to snotty legal requests to remove postings from the teloco forum

If anyone wants to take over the domains/forum by all means let me know! Theres even an owned Vbulletin licence to go with it

Old 26-November-2013, 22:41
Foxy Lady

Thumbs up Re: The SCREAM is closing!

If anyone wants to take over the domains/forum by all means let me know! Theres even an owned Vbulletin licence to go with it

Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Oohhhh, I'd really love to Ian but to be honest I wouldn't have a clue where to start!! It would be my dream job... if I knew what I was doing!!
Old 27-November-2013, 05:11

It would appear from the above that there is in reality only a nostalgic appetite for continuity. However, I really don't mind hosting it if the existing admin/moderator team want to carry on as mods?

I guess I would have to also be added as a moderator and maintain a kind of secretarial/legal watchful eye on it. And if, as Ian says, the main activity is keeping it legal by removing potentially libellous posts with limited benefit to the original cause.... there may be little benefit in so doing.

Last edited by RTI; 27-November-2013 at 05:18.
Old 27-November-2013, 06:17
Safe Sane Consensual

It would appear from the above that there is in reality only a nostalgic appetite for continuity. However, I really don't mind hosting it if the existing admin/moderator team want to carry on as mods?

I guess I would have to also be added as a moderator and maintain a kind of secretarial/legal watchful eye on it. And if, as Ian says, the main activity is keeping it legal by removing potentially libellous posts with limited benefit to the original cause.... there may be little benefit in so doing.
Originally Posted by RTI View Post
What a kind and generous offer.

I am not certain to what extent it would be possible to continue to provide a high standard of technical support and advice.

For example several months ago I experienced a locking of my computer by ransom software but was fortunate enough to remove the infection using a tool from Norton. (found through a Google search)

In their current issue "Computer Active" refer to an even more malicious computer locking with destruction of data held on the computer concerned.

It is called "Cryptolocker"

If "The Scream" were active I think there would be need for a thread/s on named ransom software that would be picked up by search engines.

I have circulated by email a PDF of the "Computer Active" article together with the following message:-

Your computer is at risk - CryptoLocker ransomware is extremely dangerous.

"I hope the attached article from the current issue (411) of Computer Active will encourage you to take action to protect yourself against this nasty, aggressive ransomware.

Under the “What to Do” panel there is a link to download the protection you need at www.snipca.com/10690. Click on the blue panel nearing the end of the web page and you will download the free version.

Please note that prevention is better than cure! If you get any ransomware or virus infection go to a reputable website for help.

Often search engines will come up with “help” that is only there to sell you software when the best answers are free!

Please copy this warning to friends but ask them check the quoted download website matches that in the PDF file of the original article

Take care

Vic"

Most of my contributions to "The Scream" were in general chat - then transferred to the expustulation forum (I like the pus bit rather than the pos!)

I am not sure that I could revive my enthusiasm (or have the ability or time) to contribute substantially if "The Scream" were to continue. Perhaps that would be a good thing!!!

Could we go out with a bang? How about the notification of ending to all members includes an invite to say farewell in a "Farewell" thread party on a given date. Could we get into the record books with the largest number of posts in a given time?

At the same time RTI's offer could be clearly shown and a comeback considered if sufficient support is given.
Old 27-November-2013, 14:25
Foxy Lady

Post Re: The SCREAM is closing!

I too will offer my time to help with any housekeeping that needs to be done. I may not have technical knowledge to help with the advice that members need on that side of it but I can help with the admin side and as I am soon due to retire I will have plenty of time to offer.
If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.
Old 27-November-2013, 18:56

Cool Re: The SCREAM is closing!

I certainly would be more that willing to remain a Mod/Admin if someone is willing to take on the running.
Old 27-November-2013, 20:18

The main thing is people need to post , that hasnt been happening just spam or telecos are all thats been going on we take most spam out before it shows.

Yeah people have come back now but thats only to say bye,

Quick look at the stats from June to end Oct there was about 40 new threads how many was spam and deleted before showing on the forum.

And posts during same period was well it didnt even make double figures on any day apart from when we said it was closing oct 28th and that was only 33
Old 28-November-2013, 00:01
Foxy Lady

I didn't even get an email to tell me it was closing, one of the other members contacted me to let me know!!
This forum is like many others these days and will have peaks and troughs. The good thing, up until now, was that we all knew it was here to give us help when we needed it and to pop in now and again at other times to catch up and say hello.
There's too much out there now for it to enjoy the traffic it used to and it probably won't get that amount of traffic ever again... but if it's still offering a service and peeps are taking up that service, it is obviously still needed.
Then again, if all the background staff are changing, it probably wouldn't be the same anymore and that in itself could be it's downfall... or it's salvation, neither of which you would know until you tried it to see.
I myself would be willing to help run it if I had enough knowledge... or someone was willing to teach me and I'm sure there are others out there who would do the same but perhaps that is being a tad too optimistic as that would require more time and effort on the behalf of mods who already say they have neither the time or the inclination to do it anymore.
Old 28-November-2013, 00:09
Screamager

The main thing is people need to post , that hasnt been happening just spam or telecos are all thats been going on we take most spam out before it shows.

Yeah people have come back now but thats only to say bye,

Quick look at the stats from June to end Oct there was about 40 new threads how many was spam and deleted before showing on the forum.

And posts during same period was well it didnt even make double figures on any day apart from when we said it was closing oct 28th and that was only 33
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
More input needed... Lets keep The Scream alive , Posted by me Christmas last year, I think.........

It's taken nearly a year down the line for members to log their opinions and say how sad they are to see the SCREAM closing ..... well it's our own fault for not finding a few minutes each day or week or month to post SOMETHING

Now I am semi-retired I too could find the time to help out JT

Blast from the past :

http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/s...ad.php?t=22515

PS This is me Now LOL Amber that is, NOT me JT ... How time flies ....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Redhead Amber.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	2368  

Last edited by jacktar; 28-November-2013 at 00:53. Reason: Thought I should clarify the scenario lol
Old 28-November-2013, 00:51
Foxy Lady

My my, that was a blast from the past Jacktar... and doesn't Amber look all grown up now!! Darker hair too, my daughter did that, went from jet black hair when she was born, to corn blonde by 1yr old, then settled at a mousy brown by nursery age!!
I try most of the time to pop in periodically and post something but sometimes life takes over and it just isn't possible. Everything is done at super speed these days and time passes so quickly with far too much crammed into one day that peeps find it difficult to log in regularly... but the do keep coming back at one time or another. No one can expect a constant, regular amount of logins these days, it isn't the way these forums go now, facebook & twitter seem to have taken over from this kind of forum and peeps just use it for help and advice more than anything else now... but its still a valuable and much needed commodity. Just wish I could do more to help to keep it alive & kicking!!
Old 28-November-2013, 15:50

Cool Re: The SCREAM is closing!

Jenonnet

I didn't even get an email to tell me it was closing,
Originally Posted by jenonnet View Post
If you did not get the email then your email address is not up-to-date here - I sent the email to everyone!
Old 28-November-2013, 16:14
Foxy Lady

Thumbs up Re: The SCREAM is closing!

Jenonnet

If you did not get the email then your email address is not up-to-date here - I sent the email to everyone!
Originally Posted by gem View Post
I've just checked my details Gem and the email address is correct. Can't understand what's happened there as I get all other email from TS!
It doesn't really matter now though does it, I was informed by another member so am aware anyway. Thanks for replying.
Old 29-November-2013, 13:04
Screamager

I received the email but found in my Hotmail junk folder, maybe this is what happened to others that didn't see it.

Sorry to hear the forum is closing but it has been very quiet recently, and well done to those that have worked to keep it alive for so long.
Old 29-November-2013, 14:34
Scrimper

I've just checked my details Gem and the email address is correct. Can't understand what's happened there as I get all other email from TS!
It doesn't really matter now though does it, I was informed by another member so am aware anyway. Thanks for replying.
Originally Posted by jenonnet View Post
I can confirm that I too did not receive any email to report closure but found out elsewhere.

My email address has been the same all the time I have been here and is still working, nowt in the spam folder either.
A part dropped from the workbench will roll to a degree of un-reachability proportional to its importance.
Old 29-November-2013, 19:08

i`m quite happy to pass over the data to RTI to host, and provide help getting it set up, and I`ll even renew the domains for a few years.

Let me know.
Old 29-November-2013, 21:23
Safe Sane Consensual

i`m quite happy to pass over the data to RTI to host, and provide help getting it set up, and I`ll even renew the domains for a few years.

Let me know.
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Excellent work. I was going to suggest that if all else failed we offered our forum to "Computer Active".

For me the "Computer Active" magazine shows considerable interest in consumer protection and rights. There is much supporting information in the magazine on how to exercise consumer rights in the face of the ignorance of many retailers. I fear we may have now lost this dynamic feel from the earlier days of "The Scream".

I have had a number of enquiries since emailing a copy the "Computer Active" article on Cryptologger (and my post on this in "The Scream") I thought it would be useful to have a link to the original article.

For the first time I visited the "Computer Active" forum and found one of the topics concerned Cryptologger

http://forums.computeractive.co.uk/s...d.php?t=236325

The number of active viewers on the "Computer Active" forum must be associated with the circulation of their magazine.

In deciding whether a go it alone "The Scream" can be viable I would suggest those interested in keeping it going take a careful look at the "Computer Active" choice of forum topics. If contemplating a move in that direction we need to check what we might have to offer them in terms of content and moderator support.

It may be that our membership database would be of value to a magazine such as "Computer Active" and an appropriate payment made. The magazine may be willing to offer promotional material to our members. IMHO it should be made clear that any income from passing such information over to an approved third party will be payable to the DEC Philippines appeal. If on the cards any registered member having been informed of but objecting to this action should notify "The Scream" immediately.

Maybe if things don't work out for "The Scream" we could end up helping provide a better Christmas for those devastated in the Philippines.

Vic
Old 29-November-2013, 21:42

Question Re: The SCREAM is closing!

If someone comes forward who is capable of running it (from a technical point view) I, and I am sure others, would be more than happy to continue as we are.

But it really also depends on Users posting (and sensibly too!).
Old 30-November-2013, 14:46
Trance Addict

More than happy to spend sometime here posting again and being a moderator etc - I only found out about the closure today. With me and Mrs Behemoth agreeing to spend less money every month in going out every weekend and drinking cider I will have a good few evenings free to be pottering about in my man cave
Old 01-December-2013, 03:37

My offer was - is - genuine, and remains. My own Web hosting place is GoDaddy - I'm on their middle package, and am using (presently) only two or three of the MySQL databases on that, and so have (excuse the pun) bandwidth. Having said that, given the flavour of the forum, if Computer Active want it that would surely be a more apt marriage.

My computing skills are fair to middling, but if this is to be set up on "my" server space, I reckon the best folk to do it are Ian and Vic (firstly to link the domain, then to install and get working the software). I've already negotiated getting rid of the overzealous serverside security that gets 403 errors springing up when you play tunes with certain forum software ;-)

I will go with the flow - please advise. If password divulgence is required I will first have to change them for my own security - seed parts are remarkably like others at the moment <blush>
Old 01-December-2013, 11:34
Safe Sane Consensual

<snip> I reckon the best folk to do it are Ian and Vic (firstly to link the domain, then to install and get working the software). <snip>

<snip>I will go with the flow - please advise.<snip>
Originally Posted by RTI View Post
Roger - thanks for your vote of confidence but the technical aspects of running The Scream might best be left to others with more experience!

Unless "The Scream" develop new contacts and support I feel that rescue efforts to restore the past will fail - particularly having regard to a changing world.

For example since "The Scream" was founded we have search engines developed that will provide answers and experiences on most technical problems (provided the correct search criteria is entered!)

Hey I retract my earlier point - I could become a Scream technical expert by copying and pasting answers from other sources

My main search engine is "Google" and I have not found "The Scream" coming up very often when I have put a technical query in. We need to decide if it is possible for "The Scream" to remain at the forefront of technical support or just a friendly community.

Obviously our database of 8307 members will have some outdated contact information. It would still be of potential value to a commercial source.

There is need to comply with data protection provisions.

This could be complied with if the final notice concerning the closing of "The Scream" contained an introductory offer or small contact gift from a commercial organisation and gave consent for "The Scream" to divulge the member name for this or similar offers.(or the member to respond directly to the offer)

Will there be a need to move everything over to a new server in order to deal with negative or failed email responses to any final offer?

I would certainly like the "Computer Active" route considered and would be willing to give my full support to this.

I am sure most on our long list members would consent to release of their contact information if this were to benefit the Phillipine disaster release.

Similarly I feel that "Computer Active" would like to be involved in such a fund raising proposal and furthermore give coverage in their magazine to the changes we might agree together with a short history of "The Scream"

If "the flow" wishes to explore the directions I have suggested I would be pleased to be actively involved.

I would be happy to work with RTI, Ian and those from "The Scream" who would like to support change.

Vic
Old 01-December-2013, 22:05
German PR-scam fighter

With great excitement I read here about the latest developments (from sadness to new hope). I'm from Germany and I have discovered TS in late 2004. At that time I fought against diallers and phone scammers and I wanted to combine the German topics with British topics.
The subject came up here on TS at about the same time as I was confronted with it for the first time
http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/t9833.html
It was called g-mega - but nothing useful revealed by a search.
Checked the number and it was a premium one 0909 7927979.
Originally Posted by Worldlife View Post
(11 Sept 2003)
My first posting was in August 2005 or something. The digging...

No matter what will happen: Many, many, many thanks to the team for all the hospitality, for all the distress we produced, for all assistance in so many situations!

Exciting developments have been made possible by the cooperation with TS (I specially remember the BBC program "Panorama" The Great Phone Call Con, but there have been many more positive results that were sometimes not even published. TS has been noticed by investigators in a lot of cases)

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you - and good luck to all of you, no matter what is to come.
ps:
If someone is conserving/saving TS I would love to make a small donation. Money. Scotch. Pizza. Whatever.

The idea that governments should protect citizens against the excesses of free enterprise has been replaced with the idea that governments should protect business activities against the excesses of democratic regulation. --Sharon Beder

Last edited by Hamlet; 01-December-2013 at 22:19.
Old 02-December-2013, 05:18
Safe Sane Consensual

Hi Hamlet,

Great to hear again from someone from Germany who made such a great contribution to TS.

Are you still participating in active consumer orientated discussion groups in Germany? If those groups have few current postings but do have large membership base it might, for your English speaking users, be helpful to see what interest there might from "Computer Active" extending any offer they may make to TS to your interested groups too.

In common with many consumer orientated forums TS was set up by a small group of dedicated individuals in response to a specific problem.

Take a look at the history of "The Scream"
http://www.the-scream.co.uk/html/about/history.html

There is no clear mission statement or a constitution to provide guidance as to how we might proceed in the future. If we have a rescue mission it is important that the new "Executive" carry along a clear majority from and the support of the existing team.

Thanks Hamlet for your links to previous threads where I was involved in consumer issues. My review of those threads has made me appreciate the extent to which I was able to offer support and media contact in the past and maybe I could do so in the future.

What ever happens best wishes for Christmas and the New Year!!

Vic
Old 03-December-2013, 23:23
Life in the Farce Lane

I only visited for a while but always found this site more civilised and human than many.

Saw mention of the closure on theregister and had to drop by to see if true.

Dug out my password from a frightening list of old sites I wouldn't miss but for this site I have to say thanks for the good advice and sound banter.
Best of luck to those who stand down, walk away (or whatever term used) and also to those who would consider keeping it alive.

I do wonder if the net is not the same place as it was before the arrival of the word "Leverage".

Cheers
Stu (last visit March 22 2009, really can it be that long?)
Old 07-December-2013, 11:29
Screamette

Very sad day!

The scream was a real life saver for me.

It's been 9 years this week since I lost & this place let me get some of my worst feelings off my chest, with lots of emotional support from a lot of people.

So thanks to Worldlife, Silver, Gem, Twinkle, Tia, Memfis, Puggsley, Scoobs & everyone else.

Just a quick update to anyone who remembers me......I'm married with a new & very happy! I never would have believed it could happen, but it did.

Take care everyone.

Gecko
Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
Good to hear that Gecko!
Old 07-December-2013, 11:31
Screamette

Big Shame. For me it was at times the first port of call for technical issues before I went to google. I would be sat there thinking I am sure someone had the same problem on scream and off I would go to have a look.

I still look in to scream from time to time that's how I found out about this, no email.

The Scream has lots of useful information, guidance and advice hidden around the site and should be archived.

DD

Dave
Originally Posted by Doggy Doo View Post
I didn't get an email either.......just popped in and found the news
Old 07-December-2013, 11:50
Screamette

I'd be here chatting everyday if there were others to chat to....
.....I run my own whacky medieval (sort of) forum.....it's down to 4 very active users now
Forums are depleteing all over....whether because of Facebook, Twitter etc I don't know, but come along if you just want to share life and views on daily topics...

http://z4.invisionfree.com/The_real_inn/index.php?

Tags
adsl, calls, christmas, company, computer, connection, email, forward, free, google, happiness, happy, health, internet, line, lost, make, mobile, port, social media, talk, talk talk, tiscali, web, xmas