Old 27-April-2006, 11:14
Olozzj

Default Statistics of all networks

Hiya.

A friend of mine brought up an interesting point about p2p networks - what is the overall statistics of all of the p2p networks together. Ive done a lot of googling to find the answer, but i cant find anything at all. The only thing i can find is the overall statistics for the Gnutella network, but none of the other networks. If we could find a way to get all of these statistics, it would be interesting to see the end result. Can anyone help us out here?
Old 09-May-2006, 12:46
Olozzj

Default Re: Statistics of all networks

ill take this as a no then.
would be a good idea tho.
Old 09-May-2006, 13:37

p2p - a lot of the networks are quite distributed and some like bittorrent have no central server at all (from what I understand) so really any useful stats on them would be hard / impossible to obtain

some isps do have a good idea how much of their bandwidth is going to p2p so some stats like that might be around, I would guess some of them can tell the difference between the p2p network traffic

Sil
Old 09-May-2006, 14:07
Olozzj

so what youre saying is basically the only way i'll be able to find stats is to contact isp's?
Old 09-May-2006, 14:43

well - take bittorrent for instance,. my understanding is it's totally de-centralised, each torrent is managed by some kind of torrent server but the servers themselves are not connected at all

it depends on which specific stats you are after - if it's relative traffic used by the different networks then ISP data might be useful - whether it's easy to get this information is ano matter

Sil
Old 09-May-2006, 18:29
Olozzj

yeh. i couldnt exactly just ring up and ask for the stats of p2p lol. i'd imagine it would take a while to get the results together. thats if they'd actually do it.

Tags
googling, isp, network