Old 05-July-2002, 13:30
Chris ok

Question Broadband Networking

I currently have a dial up connection with three PCís all sharing the same phone socket therefore only one can be online at a time. I want to sign up to a broadband connection and have a network of PCís so that they can all share the connection.

I understand that I need a ADSL Modem and Router. I have seen a 4 port Modem/Router (Conexant AMX-CA64E) which seems to combine the two and is very cheap, is this all I need to get going? I donít understand exactly what the Router does as I have also read about connections to hubs, what is that? If I need a Modem, Router, Hub and I guess cables then this is a rather expensive business, maybe the kids will have to go without!

Any ideas to keep the kids happy and not break the bank?
Old 05-July-2002, 13:46
Former TS! Team

There are several ways of doing this.

1) buy a cheap 4 port Network hub. Use the adsl usb "frog" in a machine & run internet connection sharing. (suggestion run frog on your PC, not the Kids)

2) Buy a adsl router with built in Hub. This can be slightly more costly.

3) Buy an adsl router & an external hub (will allow you to upgrade the hub if required at a later date, to a faster one / more ports).

I have gone for Option 3. I am running an ASUS ADSL router plugged into the uplink port of my 8 port Netgear hub.

The reason for this is if my dedicated server goes down (which is unlikely) all PC's & Cobalt servers still have access to the net. It reduces workload on the server too.

The Standard ADSL USB "Frog" is roughly 100 pounds. I went for wires only & bought the ASUS router (which is more advanced than u would probably need) for 150 from solwise. Then bought a cheap netgear hub, (roughly 30 pounds).

I'm glad that I went for this option as I am now upgrading my hub to a switch, as I run an internet radio relay station.

Check out http://ebay.co.uk for cheap second hand hubs & http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_intro.htm for ADSL routers. They do do different versions, so take a look around.

If u have any questions pls ask.

edited : solwise link
Old 05-July-2002, 16:56
Chris ok

Thanks Kev, one question, somebody told me that with the modem/router I mentioned you do not need anything else other than some cables and network cards (which I have) as this is a modem, router and 4-port hub built into the one box.

Is that not correct? Only if it is then Dabs sell that for only £82.25.

http://www.dabs.com/value/value.asp?s=376
Old 05-July-2002, 17:39
Former TS! Team

I see what u mean, (down the bottom of the page) but it's odd there are no customer reviews or anything else.

I cannot comment on that model as I have never seen it b4.

If it does what it says on the box, then yes it will prob suit u to a 'T'.

However I think I spotted a ref to USB, if I did, what does it need usb 4? Setting up should be via a web interface on most models.

odd

perhaps some1 else can comment?
Old 05-July-2002, 18:18

This subject has been talked about recently in at least two PC mags - I'm not sure which two but it's PC Pro, Computer Shopper, Computer Buyer or PC World. They did not actually mention the Dabs ADSL Conexant 4 Port but they did mention (but not review) the Netgear and 3Com versions. Hope that helps, I'll try and find out which two - idc!
If you network your PC's you can share a dial-up, it's 'jolly' slow but possible, thats how we started - now 5 PC's sharing ADSL.
Old 06-July-2002, 14:23
Trance Addict

The Conexant AMX-CA64E is a very good ADSL modme router I've got one and it works liek a dream Plug it in to you r computer via a netwrok card (you can do it via USB but I find the USB connectoin slows down my download speeds.

You can connect a hub to this riuter, but I went for the cheats way out and made 3 standard netwrok cables into crossover ones, plugged everybody in and we are all connected.

The oe thing I will say is makesure you all have the same version of Windows e.g every comp runs the same, only I found that with 1 Win 98 system in the back of the router and 2 running XP that the 98 system sucks all the bandwidth leaving very little for the XP basedsystems.

Behemoth
Old 06-July-2002, 22:01

Oh, well I've never found that happens. We WERE running Win XP Pro (server and one PC), Win SE, Win ME and Win XP Home with no problems. We now run XP Pro (server + 1) 1 ME and 3 XP Home, again no problems although I would say that XP is FAR better than the 98 variants.
Old 08-July-2002, 00:02
Trance Addict

I just find it easier (and faster) to have all systems running the same operating system, not to mentioln more secure.

Behemoth
Old 08-July-2002, 10:01
Chris ok

Thanks guys.

Behemoth I noticed you said that you changed your standard network cables into crossover, well I have standard telephone cables currently connecting three pc's to a phone socket so they can dial up separately. To save me climbing around in the loft again is there some way I can covert these cables to the crossover cables required?
Old 08-July-2002, 11:37
Trance Addict

Chris, firstly leave your phone cables, there is nothing wrong wth those. Turning standard network cables into crossover is simple, you can find lots of guides on the net how to do it. But you will need a crimping tool.

I'll see if I can dig up some guides for you.

Behemoth
Old 14-July-2002, 22:36

Grateful for anyones views as I'm thinking of getting rid of my server and frog and replacing them with a modem/router.

Currently I have a switch fed from the server and this feeds 3 PC's and a hub (which is in the loft) which in turn feeds more PC's.

If you have a modem/router you can connect it to another hub/switch via the normal/uplink port. What if you want to extend that further with another hub/switch, which port do you connect it as the uplink port is in use!
Old 15-July-2002, 11:27
Former TS! Team

Gem

If I understand this correctly, u're uplink port is in use? Why? what with?

If it is just to your current server with the frog on it, put your server on a standard port & use the uplink with an ASUS 6000EV.

This is the best Router I have ever seen, a couple of other ppl on here also use it, (can't remember who).

It can be plugged into a normal port with a crossover cable.

all the uplink button does is switch between a normal cable & a cross over cable settings in your switch.

regards

-mem
Old 15-July-2002, 11:38

Hi MeMfIS
Current position: The 'frog' is plugged into the (USB) Server. The Server is plugged into the (Fast) Switch (normal port). The switch also feeds (uplink) to a Hub (in the loft - which aslo feeds a number of points/PC's around the house). The Switch also feeds my two PC's and 'her indoors' Laptop.

So, IF I decide to do away with the server and get a modem/router I could feed it to the Switch (say uplink), AND uplink it (on one of the other ports) to the Hub in the loft. Is that correct?

Both my Switch and Hub have a switch for uplink/normal. To be honest, it makes no difference which position the switch is in as they both 'talk' to each other OK, strange!

Thanks.
Old 15-July-2002, 12:01

Originally posted by gem

If you have a modem/router you can connect it to another hub/switch via the normal/uplink port. What if you want to extend that further with another hub/switch, which port do you connect it as the uplink port is in use!
Just daisy chain the hubs/switches together using the uplink ports:

[Router] ==> [Uplink port Hub 1]~[Normal port Hub 1] ==> [Uplink port Hub 2]~[Normal port Hub 2] ==> etc

(thats what you are supposed to do anyway - you can mimic an uplink port by using a crossover cable as Kev suggests)
Old 15-July-2002, 12:12
Former TS! Team

Erm,

As Ian said
Old 15-July-2002, 12:12

Thank you Ian. And I was thinking that you had to connect the uplink port to the uplink port, great. I'll now have a look around at the various Modem/routers
Old 21-August-2002, 22:56

Question Setting up Netgear DG814 modem/router

Well, I've got my modem/router (Netgear DG814) and it's set itself up for the basics OK. We can all surf, email, messenger (chat only), ftp (FS_FTP95) etc but we cannot send/receive files thro' mesenger and I cannot get my WebCam to upload thro' Easyfreewebcam. I've read up on it and I'm jst as baffled.
HELP

Edit I guess this is the wrong place to put this - tagged onto something else, so I've re-posted it at http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/s...&threadid=6626

Last edited by gem; 23-August-2002 at 17:37.
Old 23-September-2002, 23:48
Trance Addict

I got messenger working the other day to send/recive files on my router, was having the same trouble as you were Gem.

You haven't by chance got the Internet Connection Firewall enabled have you in Windows XP?? I disabled it and it seems to work now.

Behemoth
Old 24-September-2002, 22:11

No, I don't have the firewall enabled Behemoth. It's a known problem with the Netgear modem/router. I say known, it's only after I bought it that I found out, Netgear are 'working on it' the site says! Strange tho' cos we can pass files over the network to any of us on OUR network thro' messenger but not to anyone on the internet. Messenger it's self is ok but have yet to find anyone I know who has a webcam to do a video conference with, that again works ok on our network.
Oh, and my webcam upload was a fault with me! Using the wrong password!!!!
Thanks.

Tags
adsl, broadband, cable, cards, computer, connection, email, files, happy, home, hub, internet, line, messenger, modem, netgear, network, online, phone, port, reviews, router, share, sharing, slow, speeds, web, windows