Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Networking

Old 28-April-2008, 18:46
papcsi

Default BT broadband with virgin NET.How to do?

Please help me someone. I have an original BT broadband and Virgin internet connection. i would like to use the BT broadband as a wireless router with my vigin internet. Is it possible? Please somebody help me what to do? Thank you!

papcsi
Old 28-April-2008, 20:38

Cool Re: BT broadband with virgin NET.How to do?

Welcome to The Scream! papcsi.

Your paying two subscriptions! (Wish I was that rich! )
Old 28-April-2008, 20:57
Austin_KW

Default Re: BT broadband with virgin NET.How to do?

Which router?

Should be possible using static addresses and adding static routes to the virgin subnet.

Or do you just mean using the dsl router with the virgin modem; for this just disable the dhcp server on the dsl router and connect its lan port to the modem.
Old 28-April-2008, 21:24
papcsi

Hi Austin_KW,

I have a white one BT Home hub with phone and a black one Virgin media modem . and I would like to use them together.
thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bt.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	2114   Click image for larger version

Name:	modem.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	2115  
Old 28-April-2008, 23:26
Austin_KW

You will need to connect to the home hub at 192.168.1.1 and change the LAN settings

Connect a PC to the home hub using ethernet.
I dont have access to bt firmware but it may be the same as the unlocked version; http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/intfs/_in...e=LocalNetwork
Default username= admin password= admin
Under TCP/IP Configuration untick Use DHCP Server and Click Apply

From memory the virgin modem uses 192.168.100.1 as its IP address, You will want to add a hub address on this new .100.0 subnet. On the same page as the dhcp server there should a list of the homehub IP addresses. enter 192.168.100.254 and mask 255.255.255.0 and click Add

Disconnect the ethernet from the pc and use it to connect the bthomehub to the modem.
You can now connect the internet using the bthomehub's wireless or spare ethernet port;
the modem should be configurable at http://192.168.100.1 and the homehub at
http://192.168.100.254
Old 21-August-2008, 12:11
Screamer

@Austin KW

hi there ...

will this work ? cos I thought that virgin was cable modem and bt is the normal ADSL so can the hub and the cable modem go together ?
Old 21-August-2008, 12:22
Austin_KW

@Austin KW

hi there ...

will this work ? cos I thought that virgin was cable modem and bt is the normal ADSL so can the hub and the cable modem go together ?
Originally Posted by jin799 View Post
The hub is basically an adsl modem + router + LAN (ethernet switch + wireless access point). You only use the LAN side when you bridge it to your own home network, effectively extending your own LAN.

You also need to turn off the hubs dhcp server so you get an IP address and (internet) gateway from your current router.
Old 21-August-2008, 12:31
Screamer

@ Austin KW

thank you for clearing that up
Old 03-November-2008, 14:10
hasey

Do you disregard the broadband in port on the bt homehub as this is a different cable fitting to the one on the virgin modem and just use the two ethernet connections?
Old 03-November-2008, 15:53
Screamer

Do you disregard the broadband in port on the bt homehub as this is a different cable fitting to the one on the virgin modem and just use the two ethernet connections?
Originally Posted by hasey View Post

Yes you disregard the broadband port on the HH
Old 04-November-2008, 16:41
hasey

PLEASE HELP, I have got a wired connection to the virgin modem through the bt hub but to access it wireless through a laptop do I still need to follow the method above to unlock it? My laptop can't find it. I have tried and keep getting stuck, when I run the speed touch upgrade wizard it finds the hub but says it's password protected, I type in admin admin but it does'nt work. I reset the hub by pressing the wireless association button in for more than 15 seconds and it restarts but when I go back into the wizard and try admin admin again I get the same result. Am I missing something, please help
Old 04-November-2008, 21:01
hasey

I have since been able to access the bt home hub page http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/basic/?ce=1&be=0&l0=0&l1=-1
but can't access anything there either due to password lockout, how the hell do I clear this password obstacle, oh and the laptop can find the router now but can't connect to it. Please please help, I'm goin insane

Last edited by hasey; 04-November-2008 at 21:08.
Old 11-November-2008, 12:34
Screamer

@ hasey

for the HH try the user as capital admin or just capital a in admin and then type the password as admin.
Also read that password can be the serial number mostly located at the back.
See what u make of that and then post back.
Remember to post back so that others can learn from ur mistakes/problem.
Do you know the firmware version of the HH, if you bought it from some1 (second hand) maybe they have already flashed it with some other firmware and that uses another password !!!!!

As for ur laptop, it will be able to log on once u know the WEP or WPA key.... just maybe thats the one on the back of the HH... did u try that ?

Last edited by jin799; 11-November-2008 at 12:52. Reason: more info required
Old 19-January-2009, 23:42
jarviser

Method of using a home hub as a slave is documented here
http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/r...hubswired.html

any problem with passwords documented here (depends on firmware version)
http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/howto1.html#type4
Old 03-September-2009, 13:07
jake.ludgate

Hi,
Similar to the original problem, I have a BT HH V1 that I would like to use as a router behind my virgin media cable modem. As I understand, my cable modem performs no routing, and is not capable of dishing out ip addresses - is this correct?
If so, then why does Austin_KW's solution talk of disabling the DHCP on the home hub, doesn't this disable it's routing capabilities? He says that IP addresses will be obtained from the current router, however I thought we'd established that the virgin media modem had no routing capabilities.
I've searched endlessly on the net for solutions to this problem but seem to be getting yself more and more confused, can anyone offer any help?
Old 04-September-2009, 16:33
I'll get some legs soon..

I believe the information given above concerns Virgin ADSL, as the original poster said he was on virgin.net which is not cable broadband.

For cable, as the cable modem doesn't contain a router, you would use the home hub as a router, so you wouldn't disable DHCP on that, but it would have to be fitted between the computer(s) and the cable modem.

Tags
adsl, broadband, bt, bt home hub, cable, computer, connection, dhcp, firmware, home, home hub, hub, internet, key, laptop, lock, make, modem, network, offer, phone, port, router, speed, virgin, wireless