Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > Virgin Media

Old 01-January-2009, 14:33
second hand rose

Question Virgin Broadband & Netgear DG834G Wireless Router

I bought a second hand netgear router and tried to set it up. I have reset the router by resetting it by pushing the pen in at the back. I cannot go any further as the laptop sees an unsecure wifi connection but will not allow me to use it. I am not very computer literate and could do with some help please. Is there anybody who has sorted this before.
Old 02-January-2009, 14:47
Screamager

Default Re: Virgin Broadband & Netgear DG834G Wireless Router

Hiya S/H Rose is your Virgin connection ADSL (tele line) or Cable with a modem ? You would be better setting up your broadband connection with a RJ45 ethernet lead and sort the wireless side out later. Give us some more info and we can then advise you.

JT
Old 02-January-2009, 18:00
second hand rose

Question Re: Virgin Broadband & Netgear DG834G Wireless Router

Thanks for that.

The boardband package works on the computer with the line provided by virgin. I have connected this line into the netgear to set up a wifi network.

I can see the unsecure network on the computer but i cannot use it.

I would like to complete the following.

Allow it to work on the computer so i can use it anywhere in the house and secure the netgear.

Hope you can understand my problem.

cheers
Old 03-January-2009, 00:48
Screamager

Still need to know what was asked in last post, do you have connection via telephone socket or via cable, IE coax cable ( like an aerial connection). Do you have a cable modem supplied by virgin or do you use filter boxes on your other tel. points just trying to find out what your broadband connection is, then we can help and save you hitting your off wall

JT
Old 04-January-2009, 00:46
second hand rose

Exclamation Re: Virgin Broadband & Netgear DG834G Wireless Router

Sorry about that

It is via a white coax type cable to a box where the cable terminates and a computer cable links to the laptop.
Old 04-January-2009, 13:55
Screamager

Right, you have a cable connection then. The DG834G is a combined router/modem for use on a telephone line, not meant for a cable connection.
You could however use it as a wireless access point by disabling the DHCP in the router, but you would not benefit from its internal hardware firewalls.
A netgear WGR614 will work with your cable modem however.
Post back if you want help setting up your 834G as a W/A point. I would connect first by using ethernet leads also known as RJ45. You will need two of these, one between modem and router and one between router and comp.

JT
Old 04-January-2009, 18:16
second hand rose

Smile Re: Virgin Broadband & Netgear DG834G Wireless Router

Thanks for that.

I will look into that and then contact you. Thanks for your help
Old 19-January-2009, 02:37
scoobyp1

Jacktar - I have done something similar to what you explain, using the 834G as a W/A point so my mate can connect his Wii to it.
The issue now though is that as the PC is connected via ethernet to 834G, it will only allow a Local Connection.

I just cant remeber how to access the 834G from the PC and enter the correct password to allow the PC to view the net.... Can you help ?

Thanks
Old 19-January-2009, 18:15
Screamager

Hi scoobyp1, welcome to The Scream
Access your router by typing http://192.168.0.1 (it may be 192.168.1.1)
If the router is in default condition the following will gain access to its setup pages: username:admin, password: password. You have to disable DHCP to use the DG834G as a w/a point.
Power cycle your system, i.e. switch everything off, power up modem 1st and allow lights to settle, switch on router and allow to settle, then power up computer, see if you have internet connection.Post back how you get on
Old 20-January-2009, 02:12
scoobyp1

for some reason neither 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 work on the router

I am due to pop over mates tomorrow to try it again so will let you know

Thanks
Old 13-March-2009, 14:42
D902am

Hi Jacktar- Hope you dont mind me adding to this conversation on the DG834G!!

I too have cable input into my modem and have tried hooking up my old DG834G which I had from before until I changed. The 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 codes you've mentioned are not working for me either, when I first had the DG834G the settings screen would display fine but now all I get is 'Page cannot be displayed'. How can I change this to disable the DHCP???

What would you do?!? Would you give up and buy an official virgin one or would you try to change the settings because I feel like giving up now and just buying one with the installation cd to make my life easier. But then I'll be left with my one and will have to have the hassle of selling it on ebay!!!

Please help and many thanks......
Old 13-March-2009, 16:51

It might be worth checking your connection options are set correctly.

Under Vista they should be in Control Panel>Network & Sharing Centre>Manage network connections (on the left panel) then right-click on your connection and select Properties, click on "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4") then on Properties. In there you probably want "Obtain an IP address automatically" to be checked. Can't remember offhand how to get there in XP, but it should be something similar.
Old 14-March-2009, 12:30
Screamager

Hi D902am, if you still can't access after bj's advice, try defaulting the router back to factory settings.Remove the power and hold in the tiny reset button with a paperclip or similar,apply power and hold button in for 10 sec. or so.
Try and access it now with the 192 addresses.The username will be: admin
and the password will be: password.
Hope this helps

JT
Old 16-March-2009, 14:12
d902amo

Yet again thanks for the advice Jaktar- have tried this and the info from the last post to no avail- maybe nows the time to just buy one instead!!!
Old 18-March-2009, 14:30
D902am

Yeah- Jacktar, I've managed to gain access to the settings and going to try it tonight with the DHCP disabled................Thanks again people for all your help!!!
Old 10-February-2010, 23:10
IT novice

Hi I have a DG834PN second hand and was hoping it could be used to get my laptop onto wireless broadband. I also have Virgin Media cable connection. Do you think this is possible or should I give up and do you mean that the wireless could be set up but would not be secured? Any advice gratefully received...

Right, you have a cable connection then. The DG834G is a combined router/modem for use on a telephone line, not meant for a cable connection.
You could however use it as a wireless access point by disabling the DHCP in the router, but you would not benefit from its internal hardware firewalls.
A netgear WGR614 will work with your cable modem however.
Post back if you want help setting up your 834G as a W/A point. I would connect first by using ethernet leads also known as RJ45. You will need two of these, one between modem and router and one between router and comp.

JT
Originally Posted by jacktar View Post
Old 11-February-2010, 21:23
Austin_KW

His advice is still valid.

All you need do is disable dhcp (auto ip address server) on the netgear and connect the netgear's lan port to the virgin router. then wireless connections will get their dhcp address from the virgin router and 'just work'. Similarly anything connected to the netgear's lan ports will also just work.

To do it properly, you should change the netgear's lan ip address to be on the same subnet as the the virgin router. eg if the virgin router is 192.168.1.1 then give the netgear an address such as 192.168.1.222. I just pick 222 because it is easy to remember. Set your netgears wireless security to be wpa-psk/wpa2-psa and set a key. Then disable dhcp and connect the routers together.
You can then access the netgear at any time at http://192.168.1.222 if you need to change the wireless settings.
Old 23-February-2010, 14:07
debs041080

I am looking for help on how to use the DG834G as a wireless router connectiung it throughmy cable broadband modem.
How do i change the netgear settings etc..

thanks
Old 23-February-2010, 15:55
Austin_KW

I am looking for help on how to use the DG834G as a wireless router connectiung it throughmy cable broadband modem.
How do i change the netgear settings etc..

thanks
Originally Posted by debs041080 View Post
Is your "cable broadband modem" a router. It probably is.
If so then as described above, Just connect to the netgear and goto http://192.168.0.1/. Your web browser will now ask for a username and password (the defaults are admin and password respectively).
Then just disable dhcp, save settings and connect it to the cable router.
Old 24-February-2010, 00:55
Screamager

Is your "cable broadband modem" a router. It probably is.
Originally Posted by Austin_KW View Post
It may NOT be, depending on how long Debs has had her cable connection I was Telewest to start with and still using Motorola Surfboard SB5100 Modem with cable Netgear router

JT
Old 11-March-2010, 10:27
SAMWRC

I have the same problem. I've got internet form virgin with a cable modem.
I wanted to get wifi so I needed to buy a router. But I bought a wrong one, I bought the Netgear DG834G (ADSL + router) customised by Virgin for ADSL connexions.

I used cmd and ipconfig to get my IP from the modem (82.30.xxx.xx) and subnet (255.255.252.0). I changed the ones of the router to be on the same subnet. And finally I disabled DHCP, but it doesn't work ...

Last edited by Memfis; 11-March-2010 at 16:33. Reason: removed IP - Jacktar - use report post feature to notify us quicker :)
Old 11-March-2010, 11:20
Screamager

MODS: WAN IP needs removed !!!!!!!
Old 11-March-2010, 11:25
Screamager

Hi Samwrc, Welcome to The Scream, follow Austin's procedure in post 17 and see how you get on.
JT
Old 11-March-2010, 11:32
SAMWRC

I did it, that's why I posted here, I don't understand why it doesn't work ...

I'll try again tonight, maybe I set up properly LAN IP adress but I didn't remowed WAN IP adress ...
Old 11-March-2010, 14:04
Austin_KW

I have the same problem. I've got internet form virgin with a cable modem.
I wanted to get wifi so I needed to buy a router. But I bought a wrong one, I bought the Netgear DG834G (ADSL + router) customised by Virgin for ADSL connexions.

I used cmd and ipconfig to get my IP from the modem (82.xx.xx.1) and subnet (255.255.252.0). I changed the ones of the router to be on the same subnet. And finally I disabled DHCP, but it doesn't work ...
Originally Posted by SAMWRC View Post
Are you seeing the ip 82.x.x.x address on your PC. This is a public ip (not private) address so your modem is not a router (you can not share this address with other devices.
I am guessing that it will not work as the routing will get confused, even if you could get the address on the pc the wifi router will try and send the traffic thru the netgear wan interface.
But what is the type and model of your cable modem.

Last edited by Memfis; 11-March-2010 at 16:36. Reason: masked ip addresses
Old 11-March-2010, 14:26
SAMWRC

This is a cable modem provided by Virgin like that one: http://is.gumtree.com/ad_image/live/big/286995956.jpg
I don't think the modem is a router.

To resume what I did:
- 1. I connected my laptop to the Virgin modem with an ethernet cable.
From the start menu, I used the "run" tool. I open the MSdos windows with "cmd". And I used "ipconfig". That's gave me the IP adress (82.xx.xx.1) and the subnet mask (255.255.252.0) of my LAN connexion.

- 2. I connected my laptop to the NETGEAR router. With http://192.168.0.1/ I accesed to the router settings. I defined the IP adress (82.xx.xx.2) and the subnet mask (255.255.252.0) in the same range as my previous LAN connexion (between my laptop and the modem). And I disabled dhcp.

- 3. Finally I switched off everything. I connected the router to the modem with an ethernet cable into LAN ports and I turned them on. At the end I tried to connect my laptop to the router using first wifi and ethernet cable next. I could connect the router but I didn't get internet.

Last edited by Memfis; 11-March-2010 at 16:35. Reason: masked ip addresses
Old 11-March-2010, 15:20
Austin_KW

I still think there is a routing issue.

But what is the output from ipconfig when directly connected and connected to the netgear with ethernet.
Specifically ip,mask and default gateway.

Even if youy get it working you will never be able to connect more than 1 pc.
Old 11-March-2010, 16:40
Former TS! Team

Sam, I've masked your internet (WAN) ip addresses.
Posting LAN ip addresses (eg 192.168.1.1) is normally safe.
Old 12-March-2010, 01:20
Screamager

Edit quote "Last edited by Memfis; Yesterday at 15:33. Reason: removed IP - Jacktar - use report post feature to notify us quicker "

How do I use that then Memfis

JT
Old 12-March-2010, 02:34
Former TS! Team

The red tringle with explanation mark in it, in the top right hand corner of every post next to the post number.

Tags
adsl, broadband, cable, computer, connection, dg834g, dhcp, feature, free, gears, internet, key, laptop, lights, line, make, modem, netgear, network, port, public, router, screen, security, settings, share, sharing, virgin, web, windows, wireless