Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > Broadband Internet Access

Old 28-November-2010, 21:19
clobber

Question Can't connect using separate DSL Modem (DLINK 320B) and Router (Linksys WRT-54GC)

Hello,

I am trying to connect a D-LINK 320B Ethernet DSL Modem to a Linksys WRT-54GC on a European DSL provider. The D-LINK is a modem only and not a router. My DSL Provider uses PPPoA and not*\ PPPoE. Therefore, my ISP logon information is in the modem. There is also a DHCP server on the modem which is set to give out the 192.168.1.2-254 range. Note that the management IP address of the modem is 192.168.1.1. Things I have done:

1) Connect DSL modem to phone line (RJ11) and PC to Modem via ethernet. The ethernet NIC on my computer is set for DHCP and the DHCP server on modem is on. The Linksys router is *not* involved in this first configuration.

- Computer gets IP Address 78.13.A.B (public IP address)
- Subnet mask is 255.255.255.255
- Default Gateway 192.168.1.1
- DHCP Server 192.168.1.1
- DNS Servers 213.205.C.D

With this config, everything works fine. I can manage the D-LINK modem and connect to the Internet. I'm not sure I understand what is going on, but it works. My computer is getting a public IP address via DHCP. However, I dont really understand why. The DHCP server on the modem is set to give out the 192.168.1.2-254 range. It sorta makes sense because the modem is not a router, but still confuses me.

2) Same as 1) but *without* the DSL modem connected to the phone line. This time the PC gets an IP address of 192.168.1.2. This makes sense to me. Of course, I can not connect to the Internet.

3) Connect DSL modem to phone line (RJ11). Connect the modem to Linksys router via ethernet. I am using the WAN port on the WRT-54gc.

- Linksys gets IP Address 78.13.A.B (public address)
- DNS Server 213.205.C.D

Additionally, the Linksys Management IP Address is 10.1.1.1. It has a DHCP server that gives out address on the 10.X subnet.

This looks good to me. It is the same information as my PC received in config 1 which allowed me to connect to the Internet. However I can not connect to the Internet. I have tried pinging multiple IP (Internet) address from both a wireless laptop and from the Linksys router with no results.

Anyone have an idea? I've been fighting this for while now.

There is one thing I find odd. If I look at the routing table on the Linksys, there is no entry for the 0.0.0.0 network (pointing to the WAN Interface).

Thanks in advance,
Old 30-November-2010, 18:27

Default Re: Can't connect using separate DSL Modem (DLINK 320B) and Router (Linksys WRT-54GC)

I don't know the specific hardware - but the general principle looks sound, what IP address (+mask + dns etc) is the PC getting in config 2, can you post the output of

ipconfig /all

also try

ipconfig /renew
Old 30-November-2010, 18:29

Default Re: Can't connect using separate DSL Modem (DLINK 320B) and Router (Linksys WRT-54GC)

above is still valid - but actually another question

(config 1)

- Computer gets IP Address 78.13.A.B (public IP address)
- DHCP Server 192.168.1.1
- DNS Servers 213.205.C.D
the PC should not have a gateway set like this, can you as above do config 1 and post output
Old 01-December-2010, 07:26
clobber

It does have the gateway exactly like this. I discussions with others, it seams this config will work with Windows machines because Microsoft broke the rules. As you have noticed, the default gateway is not on the same subnet, but it works.

And that is the problem, it does not work with the router which is probably linux based.
Old 01-December-2010, 11:57

it should be possible to get it working, another thing that's worth seeing is to do a tracert from a dos window, something like

tracert www.google.co.uk

and post output
Old 06-January-2011, 08:24
luisrosal

Were you able to solve your problem? if yes, how did you made it work, i have the exact same problem with different hardware and have not been able to figure out.

thank you very much clobber

Tags
computer, dhcp, dns, google, internet, isp, laptop, line, modem, network, phone, port, public, router, sound, windows, wireless