Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > PC Security

Old 26-October-2004, 20:28
phil_h

Default Outlook 2003 trying to send by itself ?

Help ! I've just gone over to broadband (virgin), and noticed that when outlook 2003 has finished a send/receive, after a few seconds, it trys to send from one of my dial-up email accounts, even thought there is nothing in the outbox.
I run Norton, which hasnt found anything suspicious. I was recommended Ad-Aware, and its first scan found a couple of dodgy trojans, but removing them made no difference, and it didnt find anything else exept what I would describe as ordinary cookies.
Is there anywhere I can look for things that would trigger outlook ?
Any ideas gratefully appreciated, as I am very suspicious that I have a sneaky virus trying to replicate, but luckily being stopped by the lack of a modem !

Phil
Old 26-October-2004, 20:59
Zer02004

Default Re: Outlook 2003 trying to send by itself ?

Is it trying to send by itself or is a previous narrowband account set to dial a connection?
If you're worried about infection, try a few of the online scans listed here.

Are you using Outlook or Outlook Express?
Old 26-October-2004, 22:19
phil_h

I'm using Office Outlook 2003, not Express.
I've got 'scheduled send/receive' disabled.
It is a modem account that is trying to connect (unsuccessfully) via broadband.
If there is nothing in the outbox, and its set for manual send/receive, why (how !?) is it 'dialling' anyway ?

I've just run adaware (1.0.5) again and deleted all the cookies it found with no change in outlook's behaviour.
I'm running xp sp2, norton antivirus 10.0.1.13 and norton interent security 7.0.6.17, all set to auto-update.
Old 27-October-2004, 00:59
Zer02004

I was recommended Ad-Aware, and its first scan found a couple of dodgy trojans....
Phil
Originally Posted by phil_h
Ad-Aware is not really designed to deal with trojans etc so it may well have missed something.
Download, install, update and run Trojan Defence Suite 3. It's a fully functional but time limited (30 days I believe) demo and it's about the best tool available for trojan detection and removal.

Don't forget to disable any system restore type software before attempting to clean your system.

After running TDS 3 and "fixing" anything that it finds, have a look at this thread and if necessary, post a HJT! log.

Tags
broadband, connection, email, line, modem, online, security, software, virgin, virus