Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > Virgin Media

Old 29-June-2006, 22:08
Rodasm

Default Virgin webmail

Iím having problems with Virgin.net webmail. I can get incoming mails ok but when I try to add a contact the íNew Contactí window does not open. Also mail put in Drafts folder cannot be retrieved.
Emails have been going back and forth between myself and support for over a week, they keep saying, ĎI have tested your account and its absolutely working fineí (their language) They make suggestions for me to try, the same suggestions time and time again and I keep telling them IT DOESNíT WORK time and time again
I have tried using other computers, as suggested and the problem still exists.
Any one got any ideas to help. If Iím doing or not doing something stupid I would appreciate being told if it resolves the problem. Thanks
Old 29-June-2006, 23:12
Zer02004

Default Re: Virgin webmail

I don't use Virgin and have no idea regarding the other problems but could a popup blocker or similar software be responsible for the "New Contact" window not opening?
Many anti virus/firewall/other security software now incorporate anti popup measures and these can easily be overlooked.
Old 30-June-2006, 10:48
Rodasm

Thanks for reply. I have done so many things I forgot to mention them
Yes I have disabled pop-up blocker, firewall, run updated Norton virus and ad-aware, all to no avail
Old 30-June-2006, 11:25
Optimistic Curmudgeon

I realise this may be a long way around the problem, but why not set your Virgin mail account up in Outlook (Express) or Thunderbird..it's quite easy ?
Old 01-July-2006, 12:08
Rodasm

Thanks folks, I'm a bit of an old fella and the grey stuff doesn't work too fast nowadays.
Thanks centaur, I do use OE but I thought if I used webmail I wouldn't have to download mail and may save some of the clutter on this machine, is that nonsense or a waste of time?
I have downloaded Java 5.7 as suggested by support, but it makes no difference.
Also looked in 'Internet Options' 'Advanced' as advised but cannot find 'Microsoft VM' Search does not reveal it.
Ta again
Old 01-July-2006, 12:52
Zer02004

If you use OE, grab a copy of POPTray which is a Mailwasher type application but it's free.
Old 01-July-2006, 19:05
Rodasm

Following 'virgin Support' suggestions, I have downloaded Microsoft VM, restarted. Downloaded updates from Windows Update, restarted. Ticked the three boxes in Internet options, Advanced, Microsoft VM, restarted.
I have downloaded Java 5.7 and it opens on start up. When I click on virgin webmail 'new contact' I hear the start navigation sound and the button depresses, I also see outbound activity on 'Virgin.net statusí window, which I assume is requesting but there is no incoming traffic from Virgin.net.
After all this Iím still at square one, so I admit defeat and give up on this one but I thank you folk for your input.
Old 01-July-2006, 19:17
Zer02004

Firewall/popup stopper settings?
Old 02-July-2006, 15:59
Rodasm

As a final, final comment on this subject.
On the ‘join virgin.net’ page it states
_All packages include_
Free Webmail service
Free customer support

Etc.,

My final two mails from ‘Support’ are as follows
“Due to the nature of this query, and the limitations of Technical Support via email correspondence, you would need to contact our Technical Support department on 0906 217 0001. We have agents who will be more than happy to help with this query”
“However, due to the nature of the problem you are facing and the troubleshooting which has been done so far, I would request you to contact our ‘Technical Support’ on 0906 217 0001 (25 ppm) so that they can troubleshoot this issue more efficiently”
They don’t tell prospective customers that ‘free support’ is limited technology
Technical Support’ is charged at 25p per minute. The only time I used it I was on the phone 75 mins. Cost £18.75, far from free. The assistance I was give could easily have been given by email, most of the time was taken up waiting for my comp to carry out their instructions.
The few times I’ve used ‘online support’ (free) they have never been of any help. If I was a cynical character, I would say virgin.net are milking a good thing
To add insult to injury, it states at the bottom of all their emails-
-To send and receive your Virgin.net emails online from anywhere in the world, simply visit our homepage at www.virgin.net and click on the Webmail button-
Nothing like a good kicking when you’re down
Old 03-July-2006, 00:40
VTech_Nullified

I understand your frustration. However....this has to be possibly the first time i've heard of something like this that wasnt related to firewalls or popup blockers.

Im sure norton has one built in.

Heres another Idea, try mozilla firefox

www.mozilla.org/firefox.

If it works through that then it definatly is either a IE setting or a firewall setting.

Keep us posted. :-)
Old 03-July-2006, 14:25
Rodasm

Thanks VT.
I don't have windows firewall or pop-up blocker running. I have tried stopping Norton completely, starting and stopping everything advised or come to mind. Used another comp. I will try another comp whos ISP is not Virgin.net.
Failing that I will take your advice but reluctant about starting a new browser.
Some of us old 'uns prefer the devil we know, boring I know.
Old 03-July-2006, 19:53
Rodasm

When I'm wrong I have to hold my hand up even if I show myself up as a total pillock The only redemption is that some one else may see my mistakes and save themselves from making the same.
I did close Norton Security but the popup blocker is in Antispam, need I go on. I have now closed the Norton popup blocker (in Antispam) and use Explorer blocker, allowing virgin.net popups. It now works just fine. Sorry it took so long to get it through my thick skull, I really need leading by the hand
Tempus fugit and tempus certainly did fugit my brain
Old 04-July-2006, 00:51
VTech_Nullified

Dont worry about it at all. We all learn,

I infact thought disabling norton internet security would also disable those two things, I will keep that in mind for future!

Glad it's solved and happy surfing.
Old 04-July-2006, 01:28
Zer02004

Nortons popup blocker is pretty good but it has one serious shortcoming in that by default it doesn't warn when a popup has been blocked.
Old 04-July-2006, 14:15
Rodasm

VTech, are you just trying to make an old duffer feel better? whatever, I thank you
Zero, with IE blocker it can easily be configured to allow designated sites, or can over ride it by pressing Ctrl, which you can't do with Norton. I have tried to configure Norton blocker-Advanced, to allow virgin.net but it doesn't work. Looking on the Net, it seems the easiest way is to just turn it off.
Old 04-July-2006, 14:37
Zer02004

I don't know which version you're using but I know that releases prior to 2005 placed a control on the IE toolbar. This control may have been hidden or disabled by other security software.
Old 04-July-2006, 15:36
Rodasm

ok Zero. I'm using IE6, built in with XP. I found p.u.b. under Tools, on/off and Settings. Simple to use, so being a 'simple' sort, I'm opting for that instead of Norton.
I'm certainly learning something from the ideas all the comments are generating
Watch out I may be back with another 'insolvable' problem created by my sparce knowledge
Old 04-July-2006, 15:48
Zer02004

What version of Norton are you using?
You're welcome to pick our brains but whether the replies make any sense or not is debatable.
Old 05-July-2006, 14:22
Rodasm

Thank you Zero and others for your input. I very well may have to call on your services again lol
Using Norton Internet Security 2005
Now going to browse forums for interesting tid-bits
Old 05-July-2006, 18:36
Zer02004

You should have a control on the IE toolbar which allows/disallows popups on a site by site basis. It looks like this:

Old 05-July-2006, 19:15
Rodasm

Yes Zero, I do have something similar. I did a screenshot, done all the things with it in paint but unable to paste it or put it in this message as you've done Ignorance exposed again rofl
Old 05-July-2006, 21:08
Zer02004

Paint isn't a very good program to start with. For freebie graphics editors, check out the following:
IrfanView
PhotoFiltre
The Gimp
XNView

Save your file as a JPEG and when you post, click the "Go Advanced" button. Type out your reply and then scroll down a little and hit the "Manage Attachments" button.
In the new window that opens, hit the "Browse" button, navigate to where you saved your file, select it and hit the "Upload" button.
Once it's uploaded, hit the "Close This Window" button and the attachment window will close.
Finally, hit the "Submit Reply" button as normal.
Old 06-July-2006, 14:09
Rodasm

Ok, I'm going to hit the submit button and hope it all works. If it does I thank you, having learned something it's not a day wasted.
If it doesn't work, be patient
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	1572  
Old 06-July-2006, 23:36
Zer02004

You made it!

That's the control for the Windows popup blocker. The Norton 2K5 control looks exactly like the one that I pasted.
On your IE toolbar, are there dual right facing arrows showing to the right of the icons?
You may see something like:
Back - Forward - Stop - Refresh - Search - Favourites - Mail - >>
If so, click on the double arrows and the Norton control may be revealed. If not, we'll try something else.
Old 07-July-2006, 13:48
Rodasm

ok buddy, is this what you're talking about
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	1574  
Old 07-July-2006, 14:19
Zer02004

That's the one!
Old 12-July-2006, 09:45
Rodasm

Here I am again with my problems
I was sent a copy of a repeat prescription form, when opened in webmail it was just an empty mail, no error code, no message nothing. It was not sent as an attatchment.
I received some pictures as attatchments but when I tried to open them I had the messages as below.
So I downloaded the all to my OE account and they gave no problems, Iím obviously doing/not doing something in webmail
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	1583   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	1584  
Old 12-July-2006, 09:49
Rodasm

sorry about the size of the attatchments, I aint got it right yet :
Old 15-March-2008, 11:38
susan.jenkiso

I have an error in window mail the error says error ox800ccod
what can I do to repair it
Old 01-September-2009, 10:52
jcforrest

Angry Re: Virgin webmail

I have been informed by virgin customer services that my e-mail address @ virgin.net has been closed & that the only way I can now get my existing e-mails back is to take a new account with virgin media. Pipex ,my existing phone provider cannot retrieve my e-mails so I am forced into virginmedia. This seems like blackmail to me. JCForrest. Architect

Tags
email, forward, free, happy, hotmail, internet, isp, line, mail, make, online, orange, phone, security, settings, slow, software, sound, tools, virgin, virus, windows, zero