Another Screamer has reached the 1 year CPU milestone:

Well done LeePfrog

DavidMad

oh, yeah, we hit 13 years as a group some while back too
Old 11-June-2002, 21:36

and 14 years tomorrow too (probably)
Old 12-June-2002, 18:12
Screamager

Is UD down or summat? I can't seem to connect to it right now......been like ot for about a day now ? ? ?

'Slo
Old 12-June-2002, 19:07

Aaah, so its not just me Both my 2 pcs at work both can`t connect, I thought it might be related to the firewall there, but obviously not..
Old 12-June-2002, 19:12

Ok, its down for scheduled maintenance

Beginning today, June 10, 2002, at 22:00 UTC, the Global Metaprocessor (GMP) will be off-line for maintenance and a software upgrade. The maintenance period will be up to 48 hrs, during this time your Agent will not be able to return results or get new work units.

http://forum.ud.com/ubbcgi/ultimateb...c;f=1;t=000130
Old 12-June-2002, 19:15
Loathsome Cad

from here (Member News)

Beginning today, June 10, 2002, at 22:00 UTC, the Global Metaprocessor (GMP) will be off-line for maintenance and a software upgrade. The maintenance period will be up to 48 hrs, during this time your Agent will not be able to return results or get new work units.
Old 12-June-2002, 19:20

*SNAP*
Old 12-June-2002, 20:20
Former TS! Team

we all missed the UD UK picnic then

Some of the photo's are quite cool

(in UD's Forums)
Old 15-June-2002, 08:23

Well done LeePfrog !!

We've got to 14 years now

it wasn't that long ago we were at 10 years, so we're not far from 15 years - which is 1/2 to 20 (from 10)

15 years in the next 2 weeks

Sil
Old 15-June-2002, 11:45
Screamager

Well Done LeePfrog

Sil,

"We've got to 14 years now
it wasn't that long ago we were at 10 years,
so we're not far from 15 years -
which is 1/2 to 20 (from 10) "

That's clear then -

Keep Crunching Screamers

Steed
Old 17-June-2002, 19:48
Screamager

Is the server down again....it doesn't seem to be able to connet to send the result of my last unit ? ?

'Slo
Old 17-June-2002, 20:00
Screamager

My current unit has been 13 hrs so far, but I'm at 95% so I'll post if it connects OK, or not

Steed
Old 17-June-2002, 21:21
Screamager

No, can't connect either

Steed
Old 17-June-2002, 22:01
Screamager

Unhappy

Ahhh, not just me then

'Slo
Old 18-June-2002, 00:31
tambranstew

Checked their forum and it says that they scheduled a system update for today.

They expect to be offline for most of the 17th and when it comes back online everyone will download a new program 1.5mbyte

Further details can be found here

http://forum.ud.com/ubbcgi/ultimateb...c;f=1;t=000132

Stew
Old 18-June-2002, 21:04

humm - I now seem to have something 'listening' from ud

udwin_3801_2809.exe why ?

don't really like the look of that..

Sil
Old 18-June-2002, 21:09
Paul

forgive my ignorance silver but how do you no its "listening" and what is it and where did it come from

Paul
Old 18-June-2002, 22:03

Hi Paul,

I run a firewall on all the PC's (it's free!) from http://www.kerio.com

It has a 'status window' that shows whats going on, an I can see this UD thing in the list 'listening' on a tcp port.

I'm guessing it's part of the upgrade but I don't know why it's there I was hoping someone would come along an tell me what it was or if they had something similar

Sil
Old 18-June-2002, 22:20
tambranstew

I noticed that as well. My firewall asked me if I would give permission.

Seems to only appear during an attempt to send information. Never noticed it before but have not managed to connect to the server properly.

UD state the following;

The system upgrade scheduled for yesterday has been completed. There are a substantial number of Agents trying to connect to the servers and it may take several hours for your Agent to successfully connect to the server, return its results and download the new software.

This upgrade to the 3.0 version of the UD Agent contains many improvements to the "back-end" for managing applications and running jobs as well as better behavior of the Agent when it communicates with the server to return results. Also, with this upgrade the UD Agent will not run on a device using Windows '95. While we have not officially supported Win '95 for several months, the Agent would run on Win '95, but that is no longer the case.

--------------------
Regards,

Tim Williams
Member Services
United Devices, Inc.

STew
Old 21-June-2002, 06:35
Screamager

Even more connection problems are being caused by very fast, small work units being processed immeditaely after the upgrade. This means that there is an almost constant overwhelming demand on the UD server right now, thus lots of people are unable to connect. The official advise is ....

be patient.

'Slo
Old 21-June-2002, 16:43
STS

Default Me too.....

Hi,

My last couple of results have struggled to "get back to base" also. I too noticed that Zone Alarm was kicking in and asking me questions when already the UD Agent has permission to do its thing.

Got one result off last night...cannot send the latest one again now.....

STS
Old 21-June-2002, 17:14
Screamager

Exactly same prob here

It's messing with my Stats, I'm trying to catch STS

Steed
Old 21-June-2002, 21:19
fridgebuzz

ditto here

BTW Tebs said she was going to catch me up.....i'm still waiting m'duck

Whooooah - you aint seen me right
Old 22-June-2002, 10:57
STS

Default Oh..

Hi,

I am there to be passed ..... Well sort of, because I'm not there, or here.... I am away to Cyprus fer about 3 weeks which gives you a chance to pass by.

STS
Old 22-June-2002, 12:15
Screamager

Enjoy Cyprus STS, I'm only trying to catch you on the UD Stats cos I'd never catch you on the road

Steed
Old 25-June-2002, 17:38

from ud newsletter

Here are the current Known Issues http://forum.ud.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=2

- ISSUE: Windows 95 will give the following error when you try to start the UD Agent.
"Entry Point Not Found The Procedure Entry Point GetFileAttribuiteExA cound not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.DLL."The problem is associated with the latest version of the UD Agent, version 3.0 (2809), and the Kernel32.dll version
in Windows 95, 95A, 95B (OSR2.1) and 95C(OSR2.5). UPDATE: There is no work-around available because there is no updated Kernel32.dll for Windows 95 that provides that function. United Devices ceased official testing and support for Windows 95 in
version 2.1 of the Agent.

- ISSUE: A harmless open listening port on TCP/IP port 7879 is currently in place on some agents due to a migration issue. If you find your agent listening on port 7879 the problem will be fixed within a day. The server will correct the behavior and
no update is needed or effort is required on your part. Please feel free to block the port if you are concerned with the behavior. UPDATE: The problem should be solved at this time.

- ISSUE: Some points and CPU time are mismatched between Web stats and the stats within the agent. Within the next 24 hours those numbers should sync up. No data has been lost; it is simply a display issue that is being corrected on the server end.
This may mean that your points or CPU time may temporarily appear slightly lower or much greater than expected until these values resync. UPDATE: A fix has been applied. The next time your agent connects you should see the correct CPU time in your
agent.

- ISSUE: On some computers, restarting from checkpoint is not reliable. We are investigating this problem and will release a correction for it as soon as we have one ready. UPDATE: Problem has been identified and a fix is in the works.

- ISSUE: Occasional issues with handing out work have caused some problems getting enough work to all hosts. UPDATE: The problem has been identified and we are testing several options at this time.
my ud thingy is no longer listening

an completed wu's seem to be getting back ok now

Sil
Old 25-June-2002, 17:41

oh,, also from newsletter

think2?

AN UPDATE ON THE CANCER RESEARC PROJECT FROM THE CEO
Thanks to the continued dedication of our project Members, the Intel-United Devices-NFCR Cancer Research project proved more successful then we could ever have anticipated. It was so successful that we will begin a second phase of the project shortly
to continue this groundbreaking research. The first phase, using the THINK application to identify key "hits", is complete. The second phase will further refine these initial hits by running them through a different application called LigandFit.

United Devices is still working in partnership with the National Foundation for Cancer Research, Oxford University and Dr. Graham Richards. His team will continue to receive the results and work diligently to advance cancer research. During this
transition time, Members will notice the new application running, evidenced by a new name and graphics. Otherwise, we are simply continuing the same research with the ultimate goal of finding more effective drugs with few side effects to fight
cancer.

We would like to thank Keith Davies, author of THINK, for all his contributions to this project.

A word from Dr. Graham Richards on the science behind the project:

The screen saver project has been an enormous success. It has involved well over a million and a half personal computers in more than two hundred countries, yielding in excess of 200,000 years of CPU time. With such power it has proved possible to screen three and a half billion molecules against a range of cancer targets and, in a three week burst, against the anthrax toxin.

Now we can look to the future and use this incredible power to extend the project using computationally more demanding but more reliable methods. The THINK software has the virtue of incredible speed with a very light demand on data transfer. We now intend to use the more sophisticated LigandFit software, an improvement made possible by virtue of the power that the user community has made available. We believe that the scoring function, which indicates just how good hits are likely to be, is more accurate than the crude but fast methods used hitherto. Our obvious
next step is to take the lists of hits generated so far and to run them by the newer software so as to generate a smaller list of more accurately generated hits, thus leading to a more tractable set of potential drugs to synthesize and test.

Happy crunching!

Best Regards,

Ed Hubbard
CEO & Founder
United Devices
sounds like good news

Sil
Old 27-June-2002, 11:23
Paul

ARRRHHHHHHHH1

Just lost 48 hours UD time.

Paul
Old 29-June-2002, 09:21

my ud has magically changed to the phaseII one

says 'LIGANDFIT' top left in main window and the page which shows pictorially whats sup is different - quite neat

Sil
Old 29-June-2002, 09:34
fridgebuzz

Mine just seems to be going in the frustrating cycle of processing - attempting to upload afterwards - then attempting to reconnect to download a new task

Tags
adsl, bad, company, computer, connection, delay, email, feature, files, forward, home, intel, internet, line, lost, make, modem, music, oap, opinion, phone, screen, settings, slow, software, speeding, speeds, web, windows, zero, zone