Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > Virgin Media

Old 27-June-2010, 12:37
Walking_man

Default Virgin Media cable Installation - not necessary?

Hi guys, anyone who knows anything about Virgin Media cable may be able to help me out here.

I ordered cable last week for a new house I moved into yesterday.
I went through with the order because the checkout process indicated I could get an quick start self install option which would arrive On Monday 28th/6.

20 mins later after it's all gone through I get an email saying I can't have self install because of 'some technical reasons' and an engineer will be round on the 7/7! This isn't cool - because I neeeeed net before then. (I'm a media freelancer, mainly do websites)

Anyway, I moved house yesterday to find that not only was the house already set up for cable, (there's a coax plug in the corner with the VM brand stamped on it) the last tenant even left the self install kit in the hall cupboard! Proof that it's all there...

Customer services said that the last tenant had the ports 'disabled' when closing the account and that's why an engineer needs to come round. Explained that I need it on sooner and that I'll probably have to go with someone else but said there's nothing he can do. Suggested I ring pre-installation cancellations (it worries me that VM even have a dept for this) on Monday to cancel which I will do, and see if there's anything they can do.

Does anybody actually know what happens when the port is 'disabled'? Is this something that they can just enable on their end or does someone truly need to come out? It all sounds a bit vague and ropey to me. Seems a bit silly to need to make an appointment that far away when all the hardware is already in place.

Any insights/info would be appreciated before I ring on Monday...
Cheers,
Will
Old 27-June-2010, 18:58

Default Re: Virgin Media cable Installation - not necessary?

welcome to TS!

I think the problem with large companies is you have to forget what might be considered 'common sense', if they have a procedure that says you need an engineer visit before they switch it on then that's what will happen.

while it might not be a practical (or legal!) idea you could see if there's an open wireless network around or see if there's a locked network and ask a neighbour to allow you access while you get connected yourself,. it's suprising how many wireless networks are open

Tags
cable, email, make, network, virgin, wireless