Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > General Software

Old 19-December-2012, 00:36
Foxy Lady

Question How to link up an android tablet to USB Wi-Fi

Does anyone know how to hook an android tablet to a USB Wi-Fi dongle please?
Is it possible, or do I need a proper broadband contract??

Any help/suggestions would be most appreciated, thanks.
Old 27-December-2012, 13:38
Trance Addict

Default Re: How to link up an android tablet to USB Wi-Fi

Does it not have WiFi in built already ?
Old 28-December-2012, 00:46
Foxy Lady

Smile Re: How to link up an android tablet to USB Wi-Fi

Does it not have WiFi in built already ?
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
It is Wi-Fi enabled Behemoth but you need a Wi-Fi account to connect it to. As we are in temporary accommodation right now I have no broadband Wi-Fi set up & use a pay as you go dongle for my PC & lappy. Problem is I can't get it to work with my android tablet, it doesn't see the dongle when I plug it in to the USB port at all & won't load the drivers.

This means that I can't use my android to download my books onto so I can read them through the Kindle app. It's just so annoying!!
Old 28-December-2012, 19:10
Trance Addict

Ahh yeah so in which case then it's not doable sadly. Someone might contradict me on that though.
Old 30-December-2012, 01:28
Foxy Lady

Thumbs up Re: How to link up an android tablet to USB Wi-Fi

Ahh yeah so in which case then it's not doable sadly. Someone might contradict me on that though.
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Thanks for that confirmation Behemoth. I have been doing some research since starting my thread and found that to be the case but was still hoping I was reading it wrongly... sadly not then, ah well, it was worth a try.

Pity someone couldn't come up with a way to make it work though, they would make a tidy sum from it methinks.

Thank you once again for your input & wisdom, much appreciated.
Old 01-January-2013, 21:08

here's one option...

get a wireless 3g router, what happens is you plug the 3g usb dongle into the router and it creates a wireless network for you to share locally,. so you can connect the tablet / PC / etc wirelessly (some will have ethernet also) to the 3g router

"wireless network on-the-go and share a 3G/3.75G mobile connection. By connecting a UMTS/HSPA/EVDO USB card to the router, a Wi-Fi hotspot is instantly established allowing users to share an Internet connection anywhere 3G/3.75G coverage is available"

is plenty of options, http://www.ebuyer.com/search?sort=pr...at=2120&page=1 as some examples
Old 01-January-2013, 21:16

you can even get battery powered usb 3g dongle -> wi-fi hot spot hardware, I can't remember where I saw it but I'm sure it was like ~25 quid

another option, certain 3g phones can create a wi-fi hot spot and share the 3g connection that way
Old 05-January-2013, 01:11
Foxy Lady

Smile Re: How to link up an android tablet to USB Wi-Fi

here's one option...

get a wireless 3g router, what happens is you plug the 3g usb dongle into the router and it creates a wireless network for you to share locally,. so you can connect the tablet / PC / etc wirelessly (some will have ethernet also) to the 3g router.
you can even get battery powered usb 3g dongle -> wi-fi hot spot hardware, I can't remember where I saw it but I'm sure it was like ~25 quid

another option, certain 3g phones can create a wi-fi hot spot and share the 3g connection that way
Originally Posted by silver View Post
You're a star!! Thanx for that Silver, appreciated. Someone else mentioned something about using a 3g phone but didn't explain how so I was none the wiser.

Wish I'd have known about this earlier as I've now bitten the bullet & subscribed to Sky which gives me TV, phone & wireless Broadband... but I'll certainly look deeper into the creation of a wireless network, sounds helpful.

Thanx again Silver, now I just have to figure out why my desktop PC won't see my new wireless connection when my laptop will. As right now I can only use the Sky wireless broadband on my lappy but really need it on my desktop PC.

Tags
battery, broadband, connection, laptop, make, network, port, router, share, sky, wi-fi, wireless