Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > News

Old 27-May-2012, 12:52

News! Fujitsu, TalkTalk bag Post Office contract spurned by BT

Fujitsu and its strategic partner TalkTalk have won a contract that could be worth £500m to supply a broadband network to the Post Office.

BT had been the Post Office's previous provider, having inked a four-year deal in May 2007 with the national telco's wholesale wing supplying kit and customer support to make the national postal service an all-out broadband and VoIP reseller.

However, a BT spokesman told The Register that the company's wholesale division "gave notice" on its agreement with the Post Office in July last year because neither party could reach a mutual commercial deal to renew the contract.

"The Post Office has now found an alternative supplier in what is a highly competitive market and we wish them well," the spokesman added.

Fujitsu, which has been a partner to the Post Office since 1996, said it would design and deliver a next generation broadband product in cooperation with TalkTalk. It will also offered customer care and billing services with help from Capita and MDS respectively.

Times are somewhat tough over at BT's wholesale unit, which in the past year has been capped with regulatory prices, suffered falling quarterly sales and underwent a management shakeup in August last year - just one month after its contract negotiations with the Post Office were snuffed out. ®

Source the register
Old 28-May-2012, 18:39
Optimistic Curmudgeon

Default Re: Fujitsu, TalkTalk bag Post Office contract spurned by BT

Not surprised to read this. BT's BB prices are far too high and the download allowance far too niggardly for that price, by comparison to TT.

I know there are areas where TT isn't much cop judging by the annual surveys of BB suppliers, but at least 3 members of my family all in different geographical areas, and able to get TT unbundled exchange service, have all fared quite well for both speed and cost of service.

I dread to think though, just how badly things will be diluted if they go ahead with a contract to supply the PO with that service.
Old 29-May-2012, 15:32

Exclamation Re: Fujitsu, TalkTalk bag Post Office contract spurned by BT

Similar for me. Until recently we only had BT in our exchange (I was with O2 as we have O2 mobiles) and was getting 'up to' 6M for quite a high charge!
While in France I transferred to TalkTalk as they quoted (in writing) up to 16.9M AND at a much lower charge.

We don't get back home until 10 July so I'll let you know how it goes initially and after a month or so.
Hope that I'm not jumping over to the devil

Tags
broadband, bt, bundled, company, comparison, design, home, make, network, product, speed, talk, talktalk, voip