Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Linux

Old 01-December-2011, 22:35

Default Best Linux Disto / Distributions

I have not been keeping up with all the flavours of linux, it's amazing how many there are around so here's a good list of the 'top 10' distros around

http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

for myself,. I started with Red Hat (when it was free), had a brief time with gentoo and then moved to debian, I have never used linux as a desktop OS but these days there look to be some really good options,. mostly just a plain command line use for apache / mysql / mailserver / dns etc and play around when I want to write some code

so what's everyone using these days ?

Sil
Old 02-December-2011, 20:19
Former TS! Team

Default Re: Best Linux Disto / Distributions

Hello

I was mostly a debian user who occasionally dabbled in gentoo - however I got lazy and had better things to do than constantly fiddle with things so I took the easy way out and moved to ubuntu.

All my headless servers run ubuntu and I even run ubuntu off of a usb thumb disk on my laptop when the hard disk controlled died. (windows 7 just wont run off of a 8GB USB Disk.....).

However...

My laptop runs an extremely thinned and trimmed version of ubuntu. When I am forced to upgrade it or run a linux desktop I will not be using ubuntu. I, like so many others cannot stand the new ubuntu interface using gnome3, so I'll be switching to linux mint (which is also another debian derivative) which runs gnome3 but has a more familiar interface.

Hope that helps.
Long time no see.

Memfis
Old 03-December-2011, 10:06

Good to 'see' you, hope you are well and everything is good with you

I enjoyed gentoo to start at least, is a whole lot of hassle to build everything from scratch but there were some good ideas in there like how it did the startup dependencies but it did get to be a hassle after a while

for my server box (I only have one now!) I want something that is stable, both in terms of it won't fall over (rare anyway with linux) and also that does not update packages for no reason but keeps packages patched and has security advisories with fixes which are back ported

ubuntu looks like it could be a good server OS with the LTS / long term support for 5 years on certain releases

Ian mentioned about the dodgy graphical environment they've pushed on people for the more recent ubuntu, I have not looked into it but I get the impression there are unbuntu's where people have replaced the graphical side with alternatives (Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu?)

I hadn't even heard of Mint until I was reading through (thinking about reinstalling linux box as the debian on it is at least 5+ years since install) and though they seem very keen on it at that distrowatch site (lots of news coverage) the cons (Cons: The alternative "community" editions don't always include the latest features, the project does not issue security advisories) about not doing security advisories is a little bit concerning,. tho I guess since it's based on ubuntu (which is based on debian!) then they should keep it patched?
Old 11-December-2011, 11:01
Trance Addict

The new UI on ubuntu is awful I liked it a first but then found out how much of a hassle it was, couldn't agreed with Memfis more there in all fairness, Linx Mint is very good.

I also enjoyed using Open SuSE for a while too.
Old 28-January-2012, 16:40
Screamager

The new UI on ubuntu is awful I liked it a first but then found out how much of a hassle it was, couldn't agreed with Memfis more there in all fairness, Linx Mint is very good.

Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
You should try "gnome-shell"; it's brilliant, and my full time window manager on 11.10 x64
Old 29-January-2012, 23:58

in the end I put on debian 6.x (squeeze) on a new box,.

overall no real surprises I was a little miffed that on choosing the 'expert install' option I de-selected most things (this is just for webserver/mailserver etc) that the default SQL database is postgresql rather than mysql as I would have guessed

I chose not to have a mail server during the install (I will put on qmail manually) but the 'expert install' put exim MTA without being asked

still overall most everything as expected and it's working nicely

I am always amazed how much cool stuff has been created and shared under the open source ideal,. in awe if I stop and think long enough
Old 07-February-2012, 11:19

For me, the Kubuntu series' has always been my favorite. It's not like windows, but is still as easy as the way we used to adjust when windows came.

And the live CD feature just makes it a lot more cooler than any other OS.

Old 05-March-2012, 23:17
Screamer

Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
If you mean UNITY then yes, I hate it too.

You can go back to the classic look by going to, if I remember correctly, system --> login screen --> login screen settings and select ubuntu classic as the default session.
Old 05-March-2012, 23:24
Screamager

Fedora 16!! No issues AT ALL.
Old 24-April-2012, 08:24

a recent reader voted poll of some of the most well known http://lifehacker.com/5904069/five-b...-distributions
Old 28-January-2013, 14:11

I wonder as an aside that android is the key to getting linux-like onto the desktop,. google sometimes makes a wrong move but their backing of android seems they are doing something good

with android on more tablets it's just a hop-skip to a 'real PC' and android-like desktop OS's might finally be a mainstream *nix?
Old 09-February-2013, 10:56

Ubuntu looking to make smart phone as main PC with dockable phones,. think this is the way that android / linux type stuff is going to make it to the desktop or wider markets

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p014tsl9

Tags
bbc, dns, feature, free, google, key, laptop, line, make, phone, poll, screen, security, settings, windows