Go Back   The Scream! > COMMUNITY FORUMS > General Chatty Stuff

Old 03-January-2014, 13:48
Formerly exstreamuser

Question Do You Remember the First Time You Used a Computer or the Internet?

Actually, no.

These are two very different questions, which people today may not even realize. The first time I used a computer would have been at least as far back as the 1970s. I might be able to come up with a better answer after some more thought.

The first time I used the Internet? That too is hard to remember. There were alternatives prior to the Internet existing, such as BBs. Anyone recall Prestel? They do kind of blend together for me and that is why I cannot quite figure when it may have been or what I did.

Can you recall? Have you got any memories from these times?
Old 03-January-2014, 21:21
Foxy Lady

Smile Re: Do You Remember the First Time You Used a Computer or the Internet?

The first time I used a computer was in 1992 when I needed one to do my assignments whilst at College taking my N.N.E.B. to become a Nursery Nurse.

I had used a typewriter for years but a computer would help streamline things and enable me to do my college work much easier as you can delete and re-insert, etc., without having to use tippex and such archaic stuff.

My friend set the computer up for me and suggested I sat down and 'had a play' with it, as that was the best way to learn. I was terrified and said I couldn't do that as I might press the wrong button and delete the whole lot!! I didn't have a clue!!

Pleased to say that once I had got over my initial reticence and started experimenting, I was hooked!! I learned very quickly and went from strength to strength. Passed my course with distinctions, got a job running a creche in a women's centre and worked there for 10 years, during which time I took exams and gained qualifications in computing and loved every minute of it!! I have remained hooked ever since and just love computers and the capabilities of them... wish I could learn more. Wanted to go into programming at one time but didn't have the money or time to pursue it. Would really like to learn how to build and repair my own computer, have done bits but could do to learn a lot more. Just love 'em!!!
Old 03-January-2014, 21:39
Formerly exstreamuser

Default Re: Do You Remember the First Time You Used a Computer or the Internet?

<aside>
You and I seem to have a few things in common.
</aside>
Old 03-January-2014, 22:54
Foxy Lady

<aside>
You and I seem to have a few things in common.
</aside>
Originally Posted by andrew View Post

Hmmmmm, seems so.
Old 04-January-2014, 13:43
Safe Sane Consensual

<snip>
Can you recall? Have you got any memories from these times?
Originally Posted by andrew View Post
I can remember a Commodore 64 but not what I was able to do on it. Minter games with camels could be a possibility. Think emails followed and then of course IRC (internet relay chat)
Old 04-January-2014, 15:30
Scrimper

My first actual computer was in the 1980's with a BBC model B (which I still have in the loft) next came a Amstrad PCW followed by my first actual PC in 1990 with a massive 42Mb (yes MB not Gb) hard disc and 512Mb ram, I felt that such enormous capacity as this would last me forever!

I first actually went on-line Dec 1996, things were very different then, only about 500,000 people were on-line in the UK and if you mentioned that you were on-line many people were impressed as the majority were not online nor knew what the Net was!

I did dabble with prestel earlier via my work though.

When I considered my first PC and someone mentioned Windows I honestly thought they were talking about double glazing!
A part dropped from the workbench will roll to a degree of un-reachability proportional to its importance.
Old 04-January-2014, 17:01

Cool Re: Do You Remember the First Time You Used a Computer or the Internet?

My first actual computer was in the 1980's with a BBC model B (which I still have in the loft)
Originally Posted by druid View Post
Oh, that brought back memories! I had a BBC B too. I added a Teletext adapter (could download programmes free as well as Ceefax pages), Word processor chip and a floppy disk drive too (moving from a cassette tape!).
Old 04-January-2014, 17:17
Foxy Lady

My first PC was an Amstrad... can't remember Amstrad what though.
It was DOS based and I used to use the DOS commands to do stuff (can't remember much of it now though!)
Took a while to get used to not having all those windows opening in a cascade when you did stuff when I upgraded to a newer PC!!
Old 04-January-2014, 20:16
Scrimper

Oh, that brought back memories! I had a BBC B too. I added a Teletext adapter (could download programmes free as well as Ceefax pages), Word processor chip and a floppy disk drive too (moving from a cassette tape!).
Originally Posted by gem View Post
Sad person that I am I have still got my Dual 5" floppy disc drive that I bought for my BBC, unbelievably it cost me 300.00!
A part dropped from the workbench will roll to a degree of un-reachability proportional to its importance.
Old 04-January-2014, 22:19
Rambler

2002 After we moved to Wales, because it was a way which I could contact my family back home, it was a second hand windows 95, no idea how to use it! Had a few lessons from sister back home. Was I glad when a library was built in the village, so could get some books. Learned through trial and error, this forum was so good to me.
Old 05-January-2014, 10:13
Safe Sane Consensual

Default Remember floppies

w.b. Twinkle and a Happy New Year

I assure you it is pure coincidence that I now bring up the subject of floppies.

It seems only yesterday, before the days of data CDs), that I was loading programs such as Pagemaker from something like 20 floppy discs.
Old 05-January-2014, 13:31
Trance Addict

The first time I recall using one was possibly in primary school, I think at the time I was using a BBC Master, then it wasn't long after that a neighbour gave my Dad 2 x Toshiba T-300 PC's from a bank.

Both were dead but I remember we got one out of the 2 of them going. I then had my baptism by fire with Dos, I think they were PC XT clones but very little documentation seems to exist about them online.

I'd played various games on friends Ataris etc.

After the T300 Dad bought an IBM XT Clone (a Tandon XT) at auction and I grew accustomed to using that for years before we then ended up with a 286 then gradually upgraded through the ranks from there, with my knowledge quickly passing that of my fathers.

First time using the internet, secondary school, very slow ISDN and they were very protective of it, it was reserved for use on 4 systems only but later graduated to a point where every system in the school had internet access (I helped set it up)

The rest is history really, still building my own systems as and when needed or tweaking old ones to see if I can re purpose them currently have 3 x PC's and 2 x Laptops.
Old 05-February-2014, 22:00
Screamer

What an interesting topic

First time I used a computer was a BBC back in primary school, playing some maths game when I was about 8 years old

First time I used the internet was in 1996 when the school IT technician told me I could get free guitar tab (this seemed to good to be true, but it was!)
Old 06-February-2014, 00:23
Foxy Lady

1992 while at college training for my N.N.E.B. Diploma in Nursery Nursing and my Amstrad had Windows Workgroup 3.0 as the operating system and later upgraded to Windows 3.1 for Workgroups, which introduced various enhancements to the still MS-DOS-based platform, including improved system stability, expanded support for multimedia, TrueType fonts, and workgroup networking. Then later I had Windows 3.11 for Workgroups.

Normal use typically involved repeatedly opening and closing program groups searching for the application you wanted. Working with multiple applications often meant leaving multiple overlapping program groups open, dragging and resizing windows to try to avoid covering the other program items you were using.

It was possible to create a custom program group with just the application icons you wanted to use but that was not always practical, especially when dealing with multiple computers that were not specifically yours.

As the subsequent upgrades were released, so the MS-DOS system disappeared until it was eventually obsolete and not used at all. Even so, I still think it's stood me in good stead over the years and if I need to use it anytime, I can still manage to navigate round the system. Took me a while to get used to not having all those workgroups open though!! lol
Old 22-February-2014, 13:44
Screamer

First use? Hmm back about 1970, ouch that hurt. Wilst at school there was a course ran for our school at the local technical college ( by one of the fathers of a boy in my class) They had several small comps running all sorts of code- T-alpha, Basic (of course) and a few others. For really powerful computing (cough) we used a teletype to connect to Manchester university and played, sorry programmed, using that.
Used many others whilst at Manchester uni doing comp science back in the early 80's, one of the best comps in the world! That had computers just to feed it it's data and sort the output out! Voice control, using a PDP, back then was a concept in progress, I actually used it and it worked (mostly).
Into electronics industry a few years later using and programming them and making/testing every computer peripheral but not the actual computer itself. So been using, programming, repairing them for over 45 years (double ouch).
Used MS dos in it's first incarnation, PCdos, DR dos etc, Microsoft actually gave me 2 copies of Windows95 when it came out! ( I was teaching then and it was part of a Schools program initiative) WIndows 3.1 and 3.11 (network version) so iffy in it's operation but what a step forward.
Dial-up/in to bulletin boards, The precursor to the internet and forums.
You have started so many memories! and reminded me how old I am.
Old 22-February-2014, 13:50
Screamer

1992 while at college training for my N.N.E.B. Diploma in Nursery Nursing and my Amstrad had Windows Workgroup 3.0 as the operating system and later upgraded to Windows 3.1 for Workgroups, which introduced various enhancements to the still MS-DOS-based platform, including improved system stability, expanded support for multimedia, TrueType fonts, and workgroup networking. Then later I had Windows 3.11 for Workgroups.

Normal use typically involved repeatedly opening and closing program groups searching for the application you wanted. Working with multiple applications often meant leaving multiple overlapping program groups open, dragging and resizing windows to try to avoid covering the other program items you were using.

It was possible to create a custom program group with just the application icons you wanted to use but that was not always practical, especially when dealing with multiple computers that were not specifically yours.

As the subsequent upgrades were released, so the MS-DOS system disappeared until it was eventually obsolete and not used at all. Even so, I still think it's stood me in good stead over the years and if I need to use it anytime, I can still manage to navigate round the system. Took me a while to get used to not having all those workgroups open though!! lol
Originally Posted by jenonnet View Post
Sorry, Dos is still there (or sort of)
go to the Windows button (bottom left) and enter cmd in the search programs and files, try typing a DOS command like dir.
Old 01-March-2014, 13:03
Trance Addict

The Dos commands are still there certainly but in reality it's just a nod back to it, rather than being the hole core of the system like it used to be.

Tags
adapter, bbc, car, computer, dead, files, forward, free, happy, home, internet, line, network, online, slow, windows