Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Networking

Old 25-July-2006, 19:00
Talon

Default Windoze Remote Desktop Login Lock-Up

Hi All,

I've been happily using RDP for many months without problems, until the other day. When I attempt to login, it accepts my username/password and the screen goes black as is normal. The yellow connection bar appears and that's where it ends!

After some time, it reports a connection failure and drops out. On the actual VDU output of the machine in question, all appears as normal as well. I attempt to login again to take local control and it fails to log back in. The only way to take control is to power off, but it locks during this and so the only way is the classic power-cycle.

Turned off firewalls, tried from different remote PCs but still the same response. I'm currently having to use VNC which I don't like quite as much so would like to go back to RDP.

Is there some way to reset all the settings, or uninstall/reinstall on XP Pro?
Anyone seen this half-way point before?

Cheers.
Old 25-July-2006, 21:08
Zer02004

Default Re: Windoze Remote Desktop Login Lock-Up

Somewhere in the back of my mind I seem to recall that one of the Windows updates created havoc with Remote Desktop.
Has anything at all changed on either system? Is ZA involved at all?

Personally, I use RealVNC Enterprise which I find much better than RDP.
Old 26-July-2006, 01:41
Talon

No, nothing has changed. I did install the fixes on 'Patch-Tuesday' but it worked OK after that for some time. No Zone Alarm involved on any machine - I guarantee

I'm actually using SSL Explorer 2.0 : Community Edition to create the tunnel. VNC is working fine still but RDP still isn't. Tried falling back to V1.5 of SSLE:CE but the same exists.

I don't think it's SSLE:CE as Windoze (my spelling!) asks for my login and password on the RPD login screen as normal and makes an effort to connect (eg black screen, yellow connection bar) and the screen on the other machine logs-out as normal.

Then, the remote connection reports error after a long while. You attempt to regain control locally, but the keyboard has been locked (but the mouse still works). Select ShutDown, which gets to "Windoze is shutting down...." and it remains there forever.

I might reinstall JAVA in case there is a corrupt file which is stopping it create threads and therefore start the RDP correctly on the local machine, but it's a long shot as everything I have that uses JAVA is fine.
Old 29-July-2006, 06:04
Talon

Personally, I use RealVNC Enterprise which I find much better than RDP.
In what way better. In my limited experience of both, I've found RDP to be much faster, more responsive and better at screen updates......

With VNC, the screen updates are slower and sometimes don't happen. For example, I have several small JAVA apps I run. VNC doesn't update so everytime I press a button on the JAVA app, I have to force VNC to manually refresh so I can see the results.

(This was admittedly using UltraVNC as the viewer and TightVNC as the server)
Old 29-August-2006, 19:25
bvi1998

I have the exact same problem. We did not patch the servers. Only 1/2 of them are doing this. Have you found a solution?
Thanks!
Old 30-August-2006, 01:03
Former TS! Team

vnc & rdp do two different jobs.

vnc just shows the connected desktop.
rdp starts a whole new seperate session.
Old 30-August-2006, 15:23
Zer02004

Good point Memfis!

BVI, as you haven't installed any patches, the update issues obviously shouldn't affect you and it seems strange that only some of your machines are affected. Is there anything different about these affected machines - Has any other software or software updates been installed or perhaps firewall rules for them been amended/edited for instance?
Have you carried out extensive malware checks?

Last edited by Zer02004; 30-August-2006 at 17:30. Reason: Schpelling etc
Old 30-August-2006, 17:10
Talon

I personally have been very careful about what I install in my server and regularly check it for malware etc. I've not installed much on it in recent weeks, so it seems strange why it suddenly started for me.

I've not be able to find a fix for it yet, but I've not had a great deal of time to work on this issue. If I find something, I will definitely post here.
Old 05-October-2006, 14:00
yapper

We started seeing the same thing on one of our machines here yesterday. Happened twice in the same day. Exactly as what is described in above posts. This is on a PC, not a server. Protected by Checkpoint firewall and McAfee Enterprise virus/spyware/desktop firewall. Did anyone ever figure anything out on this problem?
Old 05-October-2006, 15:14
Talon

Not yet. I'm having to use VNC as I don't want to reinstall the server from scratch yet (as that's the only problem is has currently) to fix this issue.

I'll give it another try later to see if it still happens as various Windoze updates have been added since and I've upgraded the nVidia gfx drivers. I know VNC can sometimes depend on them, not sure if the RDP system does as well.
Old 07-October-2006, 15:29
Life in the Farce Lane

Just out of interest what version of RDP client are you guys using?
Could there be a more recent one out there?

We are using 5.2.3790.1830 BTW

Last edited by StuC; 07-October-2006 at 15:45.
Old 07-October-2006, 22:07
Talon

I'm using it through SSL Explorer Community Edition, so I'm not sure what RDP Client version I'm using. Can you find it out without locking the system?

Could it be Explorer causing the problems or something hooked in to Explorer?
I had an instance where I had to kill and restart Explorer while using Windoze yesterday and it got me thinking.
Old 07-October-2006, 23:29
Life in the Farce Lane

This may be totally unrelated but I'm trying to track down similar problems when used over VPN.

To check go to setup a new RDP connection (programs-accessories-communications-remote..) but at the first screen right click the title bar -then "about"
Old 07-October-2006, 23:50
Talon

Both my server/client seems to be much older at 5.1.2600.2180 on both.
Old 18-October-2006, 18:30
Shoe

Same problem been dealing with for 5 to 6 weeks now, but believe it has to do with a Router.
Can make a VNC connection into my server. When I make a connection to the desktop using Remote Desktop I get locked out. 1 out of every 10 tries I get in. Reset all My Routers still nothing, unless Linksys Router screwed around with the Remote Desktop. Created New Remotes, still no help, but did hook up directly to my cable modem and bypassed routers and had not a problem. Used someone else's wireless connection out of the network and had no problem so the version of Remote may not be the issue? Any help or same problem with Linksys Routers. Any by the way Linksys has no clue
Old 18-October-2006, 20:26
Life in the Farce Lane

We are using a linksys router for a IP-Sec VPN to Asia, I'd not thought about the router, I may swap it out for a another make to test....

Talon, sorry I should have replied before, the later version is the one that comes with Server 2003 and I have seen a link to that version on the net.

The RDP works fine from Linux clients or 30% of the other machines tested.
Can't see the common thread.
Old 20-October-2006, 23:10
Life in the Farce Lane

In case anyone is interested I did some fragmentation tests on the link and dropped the local windows MTU to a value better suited to the VPN in use.

I also dropped the router MTU but now I've found a setting that seems to work I dont want to drop the UK-Asia VPN too often to see if that is really needed.

Fixed the problem for me.

This came from doing some searching on black hole routers.
Old 24-November-2006, 14:36
None

I've seen this problem before. There is a command line you have to execute to disconnect the windows RDP session, as it doesn't properly disconnect normally. I was hoping i'd find the command here cause I've forgotten it!

Something like termx or summit....
Old 31-August-2007, 18:19
___Anon_____

Hey guys,

I didn't see anything about the OS you're trying to connect to, but I've solved this problem for users connecting to Win 2003 Standard edition. It's actually a known dll bug. I think the fix in included in SP1, but if you're already service packed and still having the problem you can check out Microsoft's article # kb88675.
Old 28-June-2011, 07:13
Brock Samson

I've seen this problem before. There is a command line you have to execute to disconnect the windows RDP session, as it doesn't properly disconnect normally. I was hoping i'd find the command here cause I've forgotten it!

Something like termx or summit....
Originally Posted by None View Post

I see this is a very old post, but i think the command you are looking for is "tsdiscon"

see the following MS link
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321705

Tags
bt, cable, connection, failure, line, lock, make, modem, network, router, screen, settings, software, virus, windows, wireless, zone