Old 26-November-2009, 18:31
over50plus

Default Usb netgear

Good Afternoon you good people.

I have a Laptop wirelessed working fine with my netgea router

Now my problem desktop with adapter will not let me go wireless works with the ethernet cable OK, unplug cable and no connection BUT it shows a strong signal to Router also USB says it is connected.

I am tearing my hair out with this I have tried resetting Router gone to Netgear Router set up i just do not Know what to do next.

Phoned my ISP AOL no help at all

I thank you in Anticipation
Old 28-November-2009, 17:25
Austin_KW

Default Re: Usb netgear

Temporarily disable your firewall to see if it is blocking the connection.

Try the adapter in a different usb port on the desktop.
Try it without the extension cable (if any)
Try reinstalling the software/driver.

Also try it in the laptop.
Old 29-November-2009, 21:18
Mike10613

I had this problem about a year ago. So don't remember all the details of the fix. It was the program that drives the adapter though. It kept on disconnecting even though it showed a strong signal. I had a short cut on my desktop to bring that up. I think it was the encryption key that it kept on deleting every time I did something; maybe turned my desktop computer off. I don't use it very often, the laptop is so much more handy! If all else fails re-install the program that configures the adapter.
Old 30-November-2009, 16:11
Austin_KW

I had this problem about a year ago. ....
Originally Posted by Mike10613 View Post
Ah yes, forgot this one. The software disc will often install a wireless utility manager. Try switching between the windows manager and the netgear wireless managers.

Sometimes your PC may also have a manufacturer installed network manager and the multiple managers can try resetting the connection.
I came across one laptop that had a Dell, a BT, a belkin and windows wireless utilities.
Old 30-November-2009, 17:07
Mike10613

Yes, I'm fairly sure you have to use the Netgear wireless utility and not the Windows setup. I also had a problem with the Netgear program changing the private IP of my desktop for some strange reason. It should be 192.168.0.3 and it changed it to something else and it took me ages to figure out why it connected to the Internet but not through the network to "share" folders and the printer with my laptop.
Old 01-December-2009, 11:35
Screamer

Cool Re: Usb netgear

What Austin said above is usually the problem i.e. which is controlling the network connection. Some times you have to get vicious and uninstall the proprietary connection manager (via control panel), reboot and windows usually sorts it out by itself. My niece's system was really messed up thanks to her ISP "help line" she spoke to and this was the resolution. ALSO make sure you log off or reboot if you have connected via ethernet cable. I have found this to be necessary when switching to a wireless connection. (I have set up loads of networks) both private and commercial.

Tags
aol, belkin, blocking, bt, cable, computer, connection, internet, isp, key, laptop, line, make, netgear, network, port, share, software, windows, wireless