Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Hardware

Old 09-February-2011, 21:32
Screamager

Default acer one zg5 with ssd drive problem

Hello,

It's the 16G version. It failed and I ran the factory restore disk to put the linux lite on - but it failed half way through. The disk is messed up badly so I ran dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 which finished successfully (so the hardware is ok?). But I can't install ubuntu again. It sees /dev/sda but reports that it still has sda1 ext2 and sda2 swap. How can this be? Surely the drive should be zeroed out? Is there a secret partition table somewhere?

Thanks
Old 11-February-2011, 10:43

Default Re: acer one zg5 with ssd drive problem

not familiar with linux lite or ubuntu installs but I thought an fdisk section was part of the install routine on most linux, that should show you whats there and allow deletion / partition etc

what about the ubuntu live CD/DVD installs, that for sure has fdisk on it and good to see what's going on
Old 12-February-2011, 16:18
Austin_KW

dd should have overwritten the mbr & partition table
As silver suggests try the manual partition option during the ubuntu install and delete the partitions and create new
Old 12-February-2011, 20:53
Screamager

Thanks for the replies,

It's a real mystery. I can even mount the sda and read it (but not write) when booted with a live ubuntu on a stick. Manual partitioning/Gparted can't touch it, complaining of i/o errors (whilst sda is unmounted). I did read somewhere that when SSDs die they go gracefully - i.e. you can read but not write any more. Maybe that's what's happened?

I have the rescue CD (special NAND version), so I'll borrow a usb cd drive and have a go with that next week.
Old 16-February-2011, 18:56
Screamager

The restore CD failed - it's officially dead :/ It's a read only hard drive. There's stuff on the web about replacing it, but it looks a bit too involved.

The netbook boots fine from a live USB stick, so that's how it will be used. It's actually better in a way because each member of the family can use their own stick. (I've installed "Ubuntu Netbook ubuntu-10.04-netbook-i386.iso" on each USB stick using "Universal-USB-Installer-1.7.9.3.exe" and selecting to use 4G of persistence). If anyone else is doing similar, the phase where the persistent file is created takes *ages* - just start it and walk away..
Old 17-February-2011, 01:17

interesting, I do wonder about the life of SSDs - but guessed they are in line with normal disks, perhaps not..
Old 17-February-2011, 15:18
Austin_KW

SSDs are flash memory so they have a limited number of writes to each location. They use wear leveling to try and spread the writes over the drive and I think some have extra memory like the spare sectors on a traditional disk..

I know you are not supposed to have swap/page or file system journals or logs on an SSD or update the read access time stamp.

But like Silver, I had guessed they were in line with normal disks and I have killed enough magnetic media to know that they also fail.
Old 21-February-2011, 22:35
Screamager

I think my mistake was to run it near 100% full. The Windows was so slow I installed a Wubi Ubuntu - sort of running inside the Windows file system. This was probably a really bad idea too. I don't think wear levelling would have had much of a chance? The kids always let the battery run flat too. Every time I went to use it it was doing a disk check first.

The irony is I opted for the SSD thinking it would be physically more rugged for the kids!
Old 22-February-2011, 01:14

linux (and I guess windows as well) will use on disk swap - that is probably bad news,. resistance against drops the ssd should have an advantage (I don't know the figures) some modern HDs - especially the 2.5" drives have anti shock features built in

Tags
bad, battery, dead, flash, line, slow, web, windows, zero