Old 28-March-2011, 00:26
Screamager

Default No response from Win7 install DVD

New build:
--------------
CPU: AMD Quad core Phenom II X4920
mobo: MSI 785GTM-E45
HDD: Seagate SATA 1T ST310000520AS

BIOS is set to boot first from SATA DVD reader/writer.

Computer powers up perfectly, shows splash screen, goes into BIOS control with depress of <del> key, etc

However, the installation routine will not start from either of my 64 bit Windows 7 install DVD's. Install routine will start from any 32 bit (Linux, windoze, etc) OS install CD, just not a 64 bit windows install DVD.

Furthermore, I have tried another SATA DVD, as well as a pata DVD reader/writer. Still no cigar

When I attempt to boot into the installation, the spash screen comes up, then goes, and there is a little "hyphen" cursor blinking (ad-infinitum) at the left edge of the screen. Nothing further.

I have used the same install DVD to install Win 7 on another (Intel in this case) new computer once before. It worked perfectly, the DVD has been in its sleeve ever since, and there is almost no possibility that it is damaged.

I am sure that the Phenom II is a 64 bit processor. What is going on here? Do I need to set some system jumper or what?

TIA
Old 28-March-2011, 23:11
Screamager

Default Re: No response from Win7 install DVD

BTW, this computer is for a non profit and the DVD's were provided under the MS non-profit support program. I also have a pair of XP Pro CD's, one 64 bit, the other 32 (also from the non-profit support program). All have been used to install other computers. None will boot in this system.

I do have a normal XP Pro 32 bit SP3 CD and it will boot, as will all of my recovery disks, linux disks, etc.

I am baffled. There must be some explanation other than the disks being bad. They aren't. It's just that this system will not read them from any of two SATA and one PATA drives. Any theories?
Old 29-March-2011, 14:32
Screamager

Hiya.

Without knowing all that you have tried, I'll offer a few random suggestions.

It sounds like a hardware/settings problem to me, something isnt compatible somewhere.

When you say the splash screen shows and then a flashing cursor, what splashscreen do you refer to, the Win 7 installation screen ?

How long do you leave this blank screen (assumed) for before exiting, etc. It may be trying to analyse the system and is taking longer. Try waiting a bit longer.

How much memory have you got installed and is it 100% OK ? Try one at a time if more than one stick is installed and/or a substitute stick.

Is the Graphics card you are using onboard or plug in ? If plug in, remove and use the onboard if applicable.

Is the Bios clock/date set correctly ?

In the Bios > Cell Menu. Is the AMD Cool n Quiet enabled, if yes, disable it for now.

Are all the settings in the Bios correct for the CPU, Memory, etc, or were they just left as per default.

Try resetting Bios to Load Fail-Safe Defaults > Save and Exit Setup.

Unplug anything that isnt needed from the PC, just have Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse connected.

What type of Mouse/Keyboard is being used, USB ? try a PS/2 type.

Re-check all connections in the PC, especially the 24 pin power plug and ATX 4 pin plug, ensuring they are fully pushed home.

Is the PSU up to scratch wattage/amp wise.

Thats all I can think of at the moment, so carry on.

PS. I see you have posted this worldwide, lol. So someone may pop up somewhere with an answer.
Old 29-March-2011, 15:23

is a curious one,. might be worth checking if there's a bios update for the mboard - might be a known issue?
Old 29-March-2011, 15:54
Screamager

I knew I forgot something, heha.
Old 30-March-2011, 10:35

well I wouldn't have thought of it if you hadn't missed if off your list
Old 30-March-2011, 10:52
Screamager

Lol.
Old 31-March-2011, 15:25
Screamager

JohnnyReb/Sil, Thanks for yours.

Yes, indeed. I have found through experience, that if I post on say 6 forums, there will be 1, maybe 2, that will engage immediately (1 or both with substantive assistance), and 2, or 1, later (1 or both with substantive assistance), and 2 or 3 that never engage. Inevitably, though not in this case, someone on one of those forums will find the answer.

In desperation on this issue, I posted to about 9 or 10 forums and got really good response from 4 or 5, but no solution.

Here are my answers to yours:

It was the BIOS splash screen (probably not the right terminology?)

On one occasion, I let the blinking "hyphen" cursor (on the monitor screen) run all night with no change.

4 GB ran a memory test all night and it appears OK

Onboard graphics

Bios clock/date is set correctly

Bios was set to Failsafe settings

No cards, no usb, no nothing connected. Only PSU, mobo, hdd, optical, ps2 keyboard and usb mouse.

All power, controls, drives, cables, etc double checked (twice)

The PSU is marginal. It is a 400 watt Power Up. May order a new PSU.

I will google for issues with the BIOS. Not quite sure what is the most expedient way to find out. Will the mobo or BIOS provider website post this kind of problem?

At this point, I have invested way too much time on this so have just installed XP Pro and ordered a Win 7 upgrade disk.

This saga may only just be starting however, as the XP Pro just does not want to see past the back of the box. Can't get any info from ipconfig or ping, just sort of returns to the cursor line. I was stumped and so ran the virtual desktop for Ubuntu and it connected to the internet immediately (good old linux, really reinforces my decision to switch some time back!), so it isn't the mobo.

Since there is a remote possibility that the above might be related, I will not start a new thread but ask what I should do to diagnose the network problem?

Thanks to the both of you.
Old 31-March-2011, 19:34
Screamager

Fortunately stumbled across the CD that came with the new mobo. Have now updated drivers and it is finding the internet just fine.

In the past, all my new systems had come up running and I have never bothered with the update CD that comes with some motherboards. What a lesson. Feel like an absolute beginner.

Still learning!

Thanks.
Old 01-April-2011, 16:10

BIOS update information and bios downloads should be on the motherboard makers website, I saw this but it doesn't say too much about what it fixes (SATA harddrives upto 2 gig) http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=136046.0

Tags
bad, cards, computer, google, hdd, home, intel, internet, key, line, network, new computer, offer, screen, settings, windows