Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Hardware

Old 04-February-2009, 03:25
typhoon_2099

Default Updating firmware on Zyxel P-660HW-T1 v2

Hi, I'm having difficulties updating the firmware on this absolutely terrible router. I downloaded the latest firmware from the Zyxel website in a vain attempt at getting Upnp to work but it after going through what I assume is the update process (all the lights stop flashing for a moment then the whole thing reboots) and I get back into the configuration page, the firmware is still on the previous version.

I've also just managed to block myself from the router configuration page, so any help on that would be appreciated too.
Old 04-February-2009, 13:59
Screamager

Default Re: Updating firmware on Zyxel P-660HW-T1 v2

you say you cannot access you routers web page is that by typing in could try their web site to check the setup of it: http://www.zyxel.co.uk/web/support_f...20060420160946 is it still under warranty? if so return it as zyxel will cover it,
Old 04-February-2009, 18:01
typhoon_2099

I wired myself in to fix it. Still can't get my PS3 recognising the media server over wifi. I'm gonna look into the devices and see what the major differences are. Probably won't find anything glaringly obvious though.
Old 23-January-2010, 07:17
ItShMe

Talking Re: Updating firmware on Zyxel P-660HW-T1 v2

FIRMWARE
The firmware on the router may say its a 2009 version for the UK on the website. However Zyxel have not uploaded the latest version to their support site, it is the original firmware.

Email their support desk and ask for the firmware version: V3.40 (AXL.1). Dated 18 March, 2009.

I too went round in circles thinking it was the upgrade process, its simply that it is updating with the version your telling it to.

PS3, XBOX360
After much playing around with this router I got the PS3, Xbox360 and wii to work. Set up static routes, in the Network, LAN, Client List, select ADD. Enter the MAC code of the PS3/Xbox360 and the reserved IP address. Note this down, you'll need it again.

You need to switch on UPnP in the settings. So go to Advanced, UPnP. Ensure all three boxes are ticked.

Then go to Network, NAT. Activate NAT. Select SUA. Enable SIP also.
Now click Port Forwarding, click add and list all the following put in the server IP of the router.
For the PS3 and Xbox360 you need port 80
Xbo360 only - 3074, 88, 53, 3330
PS3 only - 5223, 443, 10070 to 10080, 3478 to 3479, 3658 to 3659
You must click apply!

Now go to Security, Firewall. Ensure under General than LAN to WAN is set to permit.
In the Rules tab, for Packet Direction select WAN to LAN. Click Add.
Create a rule separately for the PS3/Xbox, as they will have seperate internal IPs. Lets do the PS3 first.
Enable the rule, leave source as any. In destination put the relevant IP address of the PS3. In services select all the relevant ports you created for the PS3 in the NAT section. Make sure applied every day and select apply.

Now rinse and repeat if necessary for the Xbox360, of the step above.

NOW EVEN THOUGH YOU HAVE COMPLETED PORT FORWARDING AND FIREWALL RULES, PLUS ENABLED THEM. THEY WILL NOT WORK UNTIL YOU POWER CYCLE THE ROUTER. SWITCH OFF THE ROUTER AT THE MAINS POWER OR 30SEC THEN SWITCH BACK ON.

Hey presto the PS3 and Xbox360 will work like a dream, the PS3 will be Type II and the Xbox360 NAT should be Open.

Now that its all working, if you fancy a game then add "itshme"
Old 04-March-2010, 16:55
tomolewis

I got one of these routers with my post office broadband account, took me 10 emails to find out the firmware was changed by post office and will not accept the normal Zyxel firmware

So its paper wight
Old 19-January-2011, 18:34
ambriel

Thanks for confirming what I suspected. I was about to post a question asking why the standard firmware update failed on the P/O issue 660.

Has anyone found a way round this?
Old 22-April-2011, 23:14
grumpygit

ambriel

no i have looked every where to try and update this cheap and nasty router
dropped the dsl connection 5-8 times a day
it got so bad in the end we told the p.o we were leaving and they some how found a netgear dg834g v5 router for us and its been solid .
the only problem we had was when we phoned for support(a rare thing) they had no trace of the netgear router which they had supplied us but once past that no problems..(fingers crossed).
if anyone out there knows what cable connection i need to plug into the pcb inside to strip / rewrite the firmware please post (can supply hq pics of pcb if needed. gg
Old 27-April-2011, 06:28
Screamager

I would imagine that most routers supplied by ISP's will be as cheap as possible tat.
Buy your own

Tags
bad, broadband, cable, connection, dg834g, firmware, isp, lights, make, nat, netgear, network, router, security, settings, web, xbox, zyxel