Old 29-December-2013, 01:20
Foxy Lady

Smile Re: Drugs

Our drink driving law is not enough, we should have zero tolerance and anyone found to be driving if they have had any alcohol should lose their licence... different amounts of alcohol affect each one of us differently, one person can drink two or three pints of beer, or glasses of wine and still read under the legal limit, while another can read over the limit on just half a pint of beer or glass of wine. It all depends on how our systems are affected and how much alcohol our blood absorbs. Due to this anomaly, we should have a zero tolerance on our drink driving laws as this then stops all confusion to what is and what is not over the limit. I do drink occasionally but never, ever when I drive.

Drugs such as marijuana is considered by most as a harmless one but it is addictive and if taken in large amounts can and usually does cause mood swings, violent behaviour, psychotic incidents, etc. People who have smoked this can get into a car and drive but when stopped there is no way to test for incapacity, as it doesn't show the same signs as being drunk but just like drinking, it slows your reactions down and makes you unable to judge distances and make sensible decisions when driving, which makes you just as much of a danger as those who drink and drive.

I really do think that anything, whether alcohol or other drugs such as the above, or cocaine and others should be classed the same and something done with them to make it very difficult to obtain in great quantities. The idea a legalising them is sensible in one way, as it would stop the illegal making and selling of them but it wouldn't work if we are trying to get these things off the streets completely and as history has proved, you cannot remove them from society altogether, as if they are not available, people will make them themselves, which will bring it's own problems that are worse than the ones caused by legally produced drugs and alcohol.

So there we are, having come round full circle again... to legalise or not to legalise??? Also, what is a drug and what isn't??? If it is addictive, is it, or should it, be classed as a drug and if so, what do we do about it???
Old 29-December-2013, 05:08
Safe Sane Consensual

Default Re: Drugs

<snip>
I really do think that anything, whether alcohol or other drugs such as the above, or cocaine and others should be classed the same and something done with them to make it very difficult to obtain in great quantities. The idea a legalising them is sensible in one way, as it would stop the illegal making and selling of them but it wouldn't work if we are trying to get these things off the streets completely and as history has proved, you cannot remove them from society altogether, as if they are not available, people will make them themselves, which will bring it's own problems that are worse than the ones caused by legally produced drugs and alcohol.

So there we are, having come round full circle again... to legalise or not to legalise??? Also, what is a drug and what isn't??? If it is addictive, is it, or should it, be classed as a drug and if so, what do we do about it???
Originally Posted by jenonnet View Post
Agree fully with your final paragraph.

It is easy to detect the energy consumption and heat generated by commercial cannabis growers and so it will be impossible to produce cannabis in sufficient quantities to rival the damage caused by alcohol.

Until there is licensing it should be illegal to produce cannabis and related products on a commercial scale but not a criminal offence to grow for personal use or use the products personally.
Old 29-December-2013, 23:36
Foxy Lady

Thumbs up Re: Drugs

The issue then is, who decides how much is for personal use and how is it policed??

Also, it still doesn't detract from the fact that smoking marijuana can make you just as lethal behind the wheel of a car as drinking alcohol can if you smoke enough of it and it isn't as easily detectable.
Old 30-December-2013, 00:29
Safe Sane Consensual

My understanding of the situation is that the police will assess your ability to drive based on traditional tests such as walking the line or putting finger on nose. I believe only a blood test will confirm the presence of cannabis and some say that regular cannabis users will always have residual markers in the blood (TLC level)

As with alcohol some Countries have set a level of TLC that should not be exceeded when driving. Some would argue that it is not reasonable of fair to have a zero tolerance for cannabis whilst showing lenience for alcohol.

So you get convicted as a criminal for the smallest amount of TLC in the bloodstream and the person using alcohol gets away free?

It is similar to convicting someone for having codeine in their blood after taking co-codamol or similar medication!!!

BTW the only time I have taken cannabis was when on holiday in Amsterdam. As a non-smoker I made cannabis pancakes whose only effect was to make me sleepy. Due to Amsterdam's excellent public transport system to outlying towns I did not need to drive!
Old 30-December-2013, 00:36
Foxy Lady

That's why I think we should have a zero tolerance on drink driving & drug driving.

Co-codamol and such like is another issue, as although medicinal, such medication can affect certain people quite adversely and render them incapable of safe driving... so, where do we draw the line??

It's quite frightening when you think of it, after all, when people get behind the wheel of a motor vehicle they are in charge of a very dangerous killing machine!
Old 30-December-2013, 11:11
Safe Sane Consensual

A person must be severely addicted to nicotine if they are unable to drive a motor vehicle without having a lighted cigarette of pipe in their mouth

Smoking whilst driving shows an addiction to tobacco similar to those dependant on alcohol but not necessarily so addictive as cannabis.

I would suggest there should be a ban on smoking whilst driving a car or any other vehicle as the smoking activity is more demanding than listening to the car radio but maybe less than taking mobile phone calls.

Perhaps the "school run" should be banned too as excited children can cause even more failure to concentrate on driving than residual TLC from cannabis!

It seems daft to convict someone of eating an apple or sandwich whilst driving when that object could be dropped instantaneously. I saw the effects in a coach of a burning cigarette dropping into the lap of a fella!
Old 30-December-2013, 12:45
Foxy Lady

I agree with the smoking ban, even when I did smoke... a long time ago now, I never smoked in the car whilst driving or as a passenger. I think it's dangerous to drive while smoking & can remember when I was small and out in the car with my parents, my dad threw his cigarette end out of the window and it blew back into his lap... at the time I thought it was funny watching him trying to extract the offending burning cigarette butt whilst still driving the car but on reflection, now I am older, I realise just how dangerous that was and what bad consequences it could have had.

The school run is also something I agree with banning, as it isn't good for a number of points. First, as you say, excited children can cause failure to concentrate on driving. Also, the problems they cause stopping where they shouldn't and blocking the roads cause other drivers to get irate and take chances they shouldn't to get past parked cars. We were never driven to school when I was a child but then again, most of the time we attended schools in our area, so didn't have too far to travel and could walk there or get the bus. It is a difficult problem these days.
Old 12-January-2014, 22:21
Screamer

I agree with the smoking ban, even when I did smoke... a long time ago now, I never smoked in the car whilst driving or as a passenger. I think it's dangerous to drive while smoking & can remember when I was small and out in the car with my parents, my dad threw his cigarette end out of the window and it blew back into his lap... at the time I thought it was funny watching him trying to extract the offending burning cigarette butt whilst still driving the car but on reflection, now I am older, I realise just how dangerous that was and what bad consequences it could have had.

The school run is also something I agree with banning, as it isn't good for a number of points. First, as you say, excited children can cause failure to concentrate on driving. Also, the problems they cause stopping where they shouldn't and blocking the roads cause other drivers to get irate and take chances they shouldn't to get past parked cars. We were never driven to school when I was a child but then again, most of the time we attended schools in our area, so didn't have too far to travel and could walk there or get the bus. It is a difficult problem these days.
Originally Posted by jenonnet View Post
anything that might make your driving with less care should be punished .
1. cigarette smoking is one because you not likely to have both hands on the wheels and more interested in lighting up than with looking at the road.
2.alcohol for obviously reasons
3. answering a mobile phone even hands free ! can be dangerous in the right or wrong conditions.
3drugs would also have an affect and we not talking of illegal ones either, prescribed ones can also.
Far too many people flout the rules and then wonder why they have had an accident... strangely the times are the most dangerous are the following. the school run (usually females in a hurry because they go up late) and between 4pm and 7 pm in cities where people are tired and think that having loud music will keep them awake.. ( it does not always work )
Old 13-January-2014, 11:03
Scrimper

One bad driving habit that should be stopped IMHO is drivers who are usually presenters or reporters driving along whilst having a conversation with a camera which is often sited in the passenger area.

One often sees this in news or current affair programmes where the driver takes their eyes off the road to look at the camera and hold a conversation with the viewers!

How can it be an offence to use a phone whilst driving but seem immune from prosecution when hosting a TV programme whilst at the wheel?

It's not that there is no evidence for this as we see it carried out regularly practically every day on TV!
A part dropped from the workbench will roll to a degree of un-reachability proportional to its importance.
Old 13-January-2014, 13:47
Foxy Lady

Most of what has just been posted I agree with but am not so sure about the hands free phone I think using hands free phoning is far less dangerous than holding a mobile to your ear whilst driving. It isn't actually any different to talking to someone in the passenger seats and that isn't seen as dangerous. In fact, I think all cars should be made with hands free fitted as standard and the controls on the steering column, like the Peugeot has on their 208 model. That way you can answer a call without even taking your eyes off the road or your hands off the steering wheel.

I also agree with you druid that in-car filming shouldn't be allowed if they're constantly turning their heads to look at the camera as it is dangerous to deep taking your eyes off the road, especially these days with the volume of traffic and the amount of idiots on the road that should never be driving!!

Tags
419, bad, car, crack, dead, france, free, happy, health, home, law, line, make, mobile, network, offer, opinion, phone, police, public, share, speed, speeding, talk, zero