Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > General Software

Old 25-October-2004, 21:36
Safe Sane Consensual

Default Handy Recovery- Data Recovery Software

Since installing XP Service Pack 2 I have not been able to access my external USB Hard Drive through my laptop.

Got access at last by free demo version of Handy Recovery

As the demo only allows one file at a time to be recovered I am wondering if these preliminary results indicate the disc might be recovered for use or wiil have to start from scratch again. What are the chances of getting the
disc and all its installed programs and data back into use again?

XP is recognising the drive. It just cannot open it. The error message "I/O Device error" is sometimes given.

The 60Gb disc was formatted to provide one NTFS partition and when last running contained several video editing programs and some large edited video files - all in named XP files. I'm wondering where the FAT16 and FAT32 files fit in!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Handy Recovery.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	215  

Last edited by Worldlife; 26-October-2004 at 03:55.
Old 26-October-2004, 14:22
Zer02004

Default Re: Handy Recovery- Data Recovery Software

A lot of these programs do work very well but I can't speak for this one.
What have you done to try to resolve the original I/O error?
Curing this must be a better way to go.
Old 26-October-2004, 17:52
Safe Sane Consensual

Thanks Zero......

What I had done in my non-guru way was to establish that the disk was being correctly recognised (although seemingly slower than previously)

I have always had an error message that stopped me starting XP Home with power on to the USB drive and I wanted to get this message to see if it threw any light on the problem. Sod's law dictated for the first time XP loaded without stopping and requiring me to turn the USB drive off!!!

However, the green light on the USB Drive is staying on more frequently and more actions seem possible - explore, double click but all are abortive.

The "switch off safely" icon has now appeared in the tray and I notice when I used this for the USB two device descriptions appeared - one is USB Mass Device and the other is something along the lines of USB 2 Drive. I did notice on the Handy Recovery program that two 59Gb drives were listed - thought that was odd.

In searching around on this issue came across Microsoft Disk Errors Caused by Damaged Data or Physical Damage

Daft thing is that I have run SkanDisk on my fixed drives and never thought of using it for the USB portable!!!!

When I got into XP I seemed to have been diverted to use chkdsk F:/r which is running at the moment - so far (up to segment 850)it has reported about twenty unreadable files.
Old 26-October-2004, 18:49
Zer02004

These drives do seem to require conversion to NTFS rather than just a format. To properly achieve this, open a command window and type convert x: /fs:ntfs where x is your drive letter.

It's also very wise to use XP's "Safely Remove Hardware" function with these drives rather than simply unplugging them.

Chkdsk usage and switches:

CHKDSK [volume[[path]filename]]] [/F] [/V] [/R] [/X] [/I] [/C] [/L[:size]]

volume - Specifies the drive letter (followed by a colon), mount point, or volume name
filename - FAT/FAT32 only: Specifies the files to check for fragmentation
/F - Fixes errors on the disk
/V - On FAT/FAT32: Displays the full path and name of every file on the disk
/V - On NTFS: Displays cleanup messages if any
/R - Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information (implies /F)
/L:size - NTFS only: Changes the log file size to the specified number of kilobytes. If size is not specified, displays current size
/X - Forces the volume to dismount first if necessary. All opened handles to the volume would then be invalid (implies /F)
/I - NTFS only: Performs a less vigorous check of index entries
/C - NTFS only: Skips checking of cycles within the folder structure.

The /I or /C switch reduces the amount of time required to run Chkdsk by skipping certain checks of the volume

Last edited by Zer02004; 26-October-2004 at 18:57.
Old 26-October-2004, 18:59
Safe Sane Consensual

Zero - the drive was originally formatted as NTFS. Do you see indicators that something might have happened to repartition or affect this?

Decided to find out what CHKDSK is doing and looked up

Microsoft - An explanation of CHKDSK etc

The running program reports "File verification completed" but seems to be taking a long time "Deleting orphan files"
Old 26-October-2004, 19:07
Zer02004

Chkdsk /r can take a very long time indeed as it attempts to repair bad sectors and recover information from damaged areas.
As long as you have some knowledge of your system, it's hard to see that a drive can be partitioned without your knowledge. I think it's more likely that the partition tables/file allocation data are trashed through wrongly attempted disk writes; ie, Windows' attempts to write data as the drive is being disconnected.
Old 26-October-2004, 20:11
Safe Sane Consensual

CHKDSK completed. Can now open drive from XP and the program files are displayed. Will now do some test runs.

On my learning curve Scandisk kicks in if you close windows improperly - but I didn't think of using it for this problem. Might Scandisk have sorted things out if I had used it?

Need to look up the differences between Scandisk and CheckDisk

Thanks Zero.......
Old 26-October-2004, 20:22
Zer02004

Chkdsk is scandisk as far as XP is concerned.
Old 26-October-2004, 20:47
Safe Sane Consensual

Programs seem to be working OK - need to make new links on my desktop.

Only problem seems to be a folder "My Pictures" on the USB Drive shown in Explorer - it is corrupt and I cannot open it, delete it or rename it.

The content is still within the folder and could be recovered by "Handy Recovery" if I purchase the full version of their program. Maybe I can live without those files!!! Wondering if there could be a corrupt file/s within the folder

Some relinking of files will be needed because during the XP Service Pack upgrade this drive that was originally "E" was reallocated "F"
Old 26-October-2004, 21:42
Zer02004

If you're considering buying data recovery software, then have a look at BadCopy Pro first. I have used this program and it performs well.
However, if you have the time, search the freeware sites such as Simtel before spending money.

Use the Computer Management Console, compmgmt.msc to reassign drive letters etc.
Old 27-October-2004, 06:33
Safe Sane Consensual

Thanks for those added suggestions Zero.......

In the meantime Handy Recovery tech support have replied

Dear Victor,

Thank you for contacting us!

It hard to estimate the chances on the distance, usually our customers try to recover at least one file (the trial period lets you to recover one file per day). And after that they decide whether they will buy it or not.

As for your problem particularly you can read the discussion here, for example

http://forums.webactivemagazine.co.u...7&thread=41658

It is also possible that during the installation of Service Pack 2 new USB drivers were installed that are not compatible with your current external drive.

Please let me know if I may be of further help.

Sincerely yours,

Nastya
The link refers to a small flash drive problem and not a USB Mass Drive. My original set up clearly had a USB Mass Drive in the settings and a turn off safely icon in the tray. As there was a "ghost" of two 60Gb partitions shown in "Handy Recovery" and two USB storage devices shown I am wondering if that is suggestive of SP2 replacing drivers and getting in a twist on closing things down properly. The re-assignment of drive letters might have caused havoc when programmes on the drive were trying to link to files designated by the original drive letter.

Anyway all is now nearly completely better except for that corrupt folder that I can't delete or rename.
Old 27-October-2004, 14:15
puggsley1980

I know this sound silly but did you try re-installing the device?

I had a similar problem with a USB stick (after someone pulled it out without stopping it) but CHKDSK sorted it.
Old 27-October-2004, 14:33
Safe Sane Consensual

Thanks puggsley...yes indeed I tried reinstallation to no avail.

Although CHKDSK resolved the problem I have decide, to ensure future stability, to reformat so as to remove corrupted folders and then reinstall the programs I need for video editing.
Old 27-October-2004, 21:05
ormus55

my tutor at college had virtually the same problem with external usb hdd. the OS refused to recognise it, but he could access it another way. i forget all the details but im sure sp2 was involved somewhere?

ill see if i can get the details again tomorrow, and post them here from within college.
Old 28-October-2004, 09:47
puggsley1980

I have had a simlilair problem with a modem in XP that shows up in the device manager but will not work with any applications. Very frustrating.

Maybe there is a big in XP that creates this problem.
Old 28-October-2004, 10:58
ormus55

try removing all the usb drivers and reboot.
the pc will find and install the correct drivers. ie usb1,2.

and make sure you remove any usb devices first.
Old 28-October-2004, 19:07
Safe Sane Consensual

Thanks ormus......I think I might have done that already for the USB drive. Will recheck.

In the next few days I'm going to give the USB drive a video production test to finally sort out it all is healthy again. The computer does seem to be slower when the USB drive is on - that was not noticeable before SP2.
Old 28-October-2004, 20:22
ormus55

talked to the tutor today, he said he had the same prob but it was with winME! (say no more).
he went into the device mangler and it showed a conflict on the usb drivers. not recognised. but when he inserted the usb storage device in, the OS saw it! and he could read it!

altogether now,, we love william gates?
Old 29-October-2004, 08:23
Safe Sane Consensual

he went into the device mangler
Originally Posted by ormus55

Guess that's one of the design features of Bill Gates products.

The question on my mind is whether the driver issue would itself cause corruption of the drive or whether the corruption would be caused by a program writing junk because of driver problems or disconnections whilst the drive is working.
Old 29-October-2004, 10:19
puggsley1980

Using Add/Remove hardware and then showing all hidden in the un-plug/un-install option is the best way to do this. You'd be surprise how may devices your computer thinks it has, just because you pulled that sound card out doesn't mean its still not there.... USB is the worst, who's going to use Add/Remove to un-install a USB device??

I'm surprised such things don't happen more often...
Old 29-October-2004, 20:34
ormus55

the best thing was, that device mangler still showed a conflict even after the drive had been read.

a good tip here. try looking at your device mangler in safe mode. youll be amazed whats still there even though you havent used it in yrs!
Old 30-October-2004, 04:03
Safe Sane Consensual

Just a thought here.

In XP some USB Devices place an icon (or add information to an icon) placed in the tray which is called "Add an remove safely".

If, for some reason you have a crash, then obvioulsy you cannot add or remove a device "safely" within the instructions you are given from use of the icon!!!

Wonder if the crash situation is the cause of build up of surplus information in device mangler.
Old 02-November-2004, 00:17
Zer02004

Most, if not all USB storage devices will have two drivers associated with them; a USB Mass Storage Device and a specific driver for the device. Your camera may also exhibit this behaviour.

It's likely that this drive was "damaged" by premature disconnection, ie data was still being written as the drive was unplugged.
Have a look at the properties for this drive and ensure that Write Behind cacheing is not enabled.
Turn off anything like System Restore and other monitoring programs for the device.
Do not store program files on such devices unless they are entirely standalone applications!!! - They live in your %Program Files% folder.

It's important that this drive is properly and fully formatted before being used for critical data storage. Even then, I would recommend that these drives are used only as a very temporary storage solution where valuable data is concerned.
Old 02-November-2004, 00:21
Zer02004

When using XPs Device Manager for troubleshooting, hit View>>>Show Hidden Devices. Now you can see what you're dealing with.

Tags
bad, computer, design, files, flash, free, happy, hdd, home, laptop, law, make, modem, settings, software, sound, volume, windows, zero