Old 07-June-2009, 19:14
jon.blcksnds

Default Speed problem.

Hi

Hopefully someone can help me here, as I'm all out of ideas. Lately I've noticed that every 4 days or so my internet speed slows right down for about 4 days, when I try to phone the Broadband Technical Helpdesk (0906 301 9000) the line keeps on cutting out.

So I try Tesco Customer Care and of course they can't help me, they can't even connect me to the correct place and just tell me to use the previous number which of course still cuts out when I try it!! I've been with Tesco for about 4 years and have never had a problem. I'm pretty sure it's not the BT line, though I have not phoned them to enquire, the line doesn't sound dodgy that's for sure. I also know it's not my computer because I've tried 3 different machines on the line.

I do only have the 1mb connection because living where I do I can't get anything more, but still I'm paying fort the 1mb not dial up which is what at the moment I am getting.

I don't want to leave Tesco as I've never had a problem before and I kind of trust them, but how do I get through to their Tech helpline?!

Thanks, Jon
Old 08-June-2009, 13:01
Optimistic Curmudgeon

Default Re: Speed problem.

Have you tried connecting the modem/router phoneline into the BT test socket, the one hidden under the lower half of the faceplate in your main BT master ?

This basically eliminates any internal extension sockets which may be wired in the house. If the speed improves, then it indicates that your internal wiring is faulty in some way.
Old 08-June-2009, 14:56
jon.blcksnds

I havn't tried that, I shall give it a go tonight, thanks for the info, I'll be back of course if that isn't it!

Old 08-June-2009, 20:12
jon.blcksnds

Ok, well that didn't do anything, it is still lagging in speed. I can tell because if I was to download something usually I could get about 128 kb/s now I'm on about 43-47 kb/s

I don't really understand all the numbers myself but as you can see it is definately slower. Any other ideas on what could be the problem?

Thanks.
Old 09-June-2009, 15:37
Optimistic Curmudgeon

Are you able to get any info about line attenuation upstream and downstream from your modem/router and if so, could you post it here ?
Old 09-June-2009, 16:15
jon.blcksnds

How do I get that information? I'll have a look if I can work out this evening when I'm home, if not could you let me know, and I'll get it for you.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Jon
Old 09-June-2009, 16:21
jon.blcksnds

I just found another post telling how to do it, so I'll do that later and post the information up.
Old 09-June-2009, 22:31
jon.blcksnds

Interesting..

I am unable to access my router/modems ip address, I keep getting 'Network Timeout - The server at 192.168.1.254 is taking too long to respond.'

Today my internet seems to be running even slower, I'm still connected though and can browse the net so it doesn't feel like there is anything wrong with the router. A good test is loading up a 10 minute video on youtube and at the moment it takes forever.

Jon.
Old 11-June-2009, 11:04
Optimistic Curmudgeon

Interesting..

I am unable to access my router/modems ip address, I keep getting 'Network Timeout - The server at 192.168.1.254 is taking too long to respond.'

Today my internet seems to be running even slower, I'm still connected though and can browse the net so it doesn't feel like there is anything wrong with the router. A good test is loading up a 10 minute video on youtube and at the moment it takes forever.

Jon.
Originally Posted by jon.blcksnds View Post
The router address is usually something like 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 it's unlikeley that the last figure wil be anything like as high as 254.

What router are you using ?
Old 11-June-2009, 11:51
jon.blcksnds

you are absolutely right, i have no idea where i got that number from! it's a lynksky router and i just checked my router address is 192.168.1.1 my mistake, il check again later.
Old 12-June-2009, 01:05
jon.blcksnds

Ok..

downstream is 51

upstream is 31
Old 14-June-2009, 15:29
Optimistic Curmudgeon

Ok..

downstream is 51

upstream is 31

This suggests you are about 4 Km from your exchange.

Can you get the Snr (signal to noise) figures both up and downstream and post them here ?

Also, check both figures (attenuation and Snr ) at various times of the day, say mid morning, mid afternoon and after 7 in the evening to see if there is much difference.
Old 14-June-2009, 15:59
jon.blcksnds

I wasn't entirely sure where to find that on the router, I did a bit of research online and I found them referencing a db number when talking about the signal to noise.. the only numbers that end with db on my router are the downstream and upstream margin which at the moment are at 12 and 17db respectively.

If this is not correct, I could always send you all the information in my routers status page.
Old 14-June-2009, 17:48
Optimistic Curmudgeon

The Snr margins look to be just about acceptable on a 1Mb speed, and it would help you to record all this info over a period to supply to your ISP. It's obviously imprtant to be able to record the information at those times when your connection speed drops.
Old 15-June-2009, 00:06
jon.blcksnds

Hi

Thanks for the information, my speed this weekend has actually been ok, so I'll look up those numbers if it drops again.

Annoying having to have such a slow connection!

Thanks again
Old 15-June-2009, 23:44
Optimistic Curmudgeon

Hi

Thanks for the information, my speed this weekend has actually been ok, so I'll look up those numbers if it drops again.

Annoying having to have such a slow connection!

Thanks again
No thanks necessary, feel as though the problem isn't solved, but hopefully you will be able to arm yourself with enough relevant info to get your ISP to act on it.

Good Luck.
Old 18-June-2009, 19:55
jon.blcksnds

The problem isn't solved, I don't know why I kind of closed it down on this thread, maybe because over the weekend it was running fine, bt now it's down again, tho when I checked the router status it didn't look too different, the biggest difference was downstream rate which was at around 1312 over the weekend and today is on 896.

I just downloaded a 15mb application which usually would take about a minute, took 5 minutes.

Would you say this was a problem with the ISP? What's the next step here? I'm a bit annoyed as I'm not getting what I'm paying for.
Old 18-June-2009, 20:35
Optimistic Curmudgeon

The problem isn't solved, I don't know why I kind of closed it down on this thread, maybe because over the weekend it was running fine, bt now it's down again, tho when I checked the router status it didn't look too different, the biggest difference was downstream rate which was at around 1312 over the weekend and today is on 896.

I just downloaded a 15mb application which usually would take about a minute, took 5 minutes.

Would you say this was a problem with the ISP? What's the next step here? I'm a bit annoyed as I'm not getting what I'm paying for.

Without knowing whether you are located in a populous area or not, the usual explanation for slowish speeds after about 17:00 hrs is usually down to contention ratio of your ISP. Generally, for the cheaper BB packages it will be around 50:1 or so, and this means that the more people in your area who have BB and are with your ISP, the more the speed will deteriorate.

It's therefore a matter of choice whether you feel that a move to another ISP will be of benefit.

You may be able to get more useful information about your local exchange from HERE

Hope this helps.
Old 25-June-2009, 20:56
jon.blcksnds

Back again..

This is insane, I'm just trying to download itunes, and it's saying it's downloading at 14 kb/s, it's taking ages, up until a couple of months ago I was usually up in the 100s.

What really bugs me is the Tesco tech line keeps cutting me off and the customer care line won't even help me with my problem, what gives?!

I know I'm in a dodgy area but I also know I've been on broadband for over 3 years with Tesco and never before had this problem. I don't want to go and change ISP of course if it's not their problem. I'm most confused.
Old 26-June-2009, 00:09
Optimistic Curmudgeon

Use the broadband speed checker HERE at various times and days and keep the results to show your ISP.

If they are consistently below the service agreed then they are in breach of contract and you are entitled to cancel it after giving them the details and say a couple of weeks to put things right.

Tags
broadband, bt, computer, connection, home, internet, isp, line, modem, network, online, phone, router, slow, sound, speed, speeds, tesco