Old 15-July-2009, 13:24
Screamager

Default What Laptop?

I'm trying to find a lap top for my mother in law. She has arthritis in her hands so it cant be too heavy, but she doesn't want a netbook. Her budget is around 400 - 500. It has to have a web cam.

I was looking at a Dell Inspiron at PC World, but read some reviews that it is OK but not great. I dont particularly want a great lap top as she will only use it for email, browsing and making greetings cards, but I do want something that will be reliable and that doesn't look too "plastic".

I dont really know what are good makes and what aren't or the difference between pentiums and celerons, core duo etc. Can someone recommend a good lap top for this price range and where the best price can be obtained?

Cheers.
Old 16-July-2009, 14:14
Screamager

Default Re: What Laptop?

One of the key thing to check is if the laptop will burnout the battery if left connected to the power supply. Dells have abad problem with that.
My compaq presario also has a dead battery becasue of this.

I collected a laptop the other day, HP (hum compaq) Pavillion DV5.
Nice machine, fairly light, all in all a nice looking and working machine.

Argos do a good range, consider the extended warrenty but also think of the replacement cost in say 1 or 2 years time.

These days it is hard to justify extending warrentys as if it breaks you may just find it is better value to through it away and then buy the latest, perhaps sell the old one for spares on ebay.
Normally the screen itself is worth close to 100 quid.

It is a tough decision, partly because this attitude is creating land fill but it all comes down to dollers and comman sence.!!!

Good luck on the purchase (also check ebay for great deals) and let us know what you intend to buy before you commit.....
word of advice, leave the credit card at home on the day you go to look , think about it for another day and ask for comments on the possible selection you are about to make...

Hv.

Last edited by Hiddenvision; 16-July-2009 at 14:22. Reason: errors !
Old 16-July-2009, 14:19
Screamager

Just another word on Dells,

They started as the industry standard for business laptops .
then they went all consumer on us and quality fell.

They have (had at least) good customer support as they will often send replacements and never even collect the faulty stuff, but that should not sway your decision and may have changed these days.

Hv.
Old 16-July-2009, 14:25
Screamager

Also ,, look at the deals that say carphone whorehouse (AOL uk) are doing,
Tell charlie I sent you...!

Every one wants to give a laptop away with a mobile phone purchase.

18 month contract @ say 25 quid,(450) gets you a laptop, phone, internet, free calls and maybe even a coffee machine and cudley toy....

Price is a guess based on previous deals.

hv.

Last edited by Hiddenvision; 16-July-2009 at 14:30.
Old 16-July-2009, 14:36
Screamager

If you want something second hand that does the basics then EBAY..
Some people change their laptop more than they change their underware.!
Some GREAT bargains out there.

But only purchase off a good seller even if it cost a couple more bucks.
You still want to have peace of mind and not buy on price alone.

Thats it ,
I will stope typing now......

Hv.
Old 16-July-2009, 18:42
Screamager

Thanks for all the pointers, HV. I'll take a look. I did have my eye on a Samsung. I'll have another look around on Argos and Ebay and see what I find. I did think about the free laptop with a mobile phone deal but wonder whether it will just be a cheapo model.
Old 16-July-2009, 18:59
Screamager

dell i would not touch mate,they are not good value, have a look at this :http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/141-A...DD-DVDRW-Vista
or this maybe;http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/154-A...DRW-N-WiFi-VHP
i have a mate who uses a acer laptop they ain't bad his is older so no 2gb's of ram,lol
Old 16-July-2009, 19:00
Screamager

How about this one? 419 on Argos, 450 on Amazon. 8 good reviews. Samsung.
Old 16-July-2009, 19:27
Screamager

there are a few variations between them, it's all down to what it will mainly be used for,as to how fast the cpu is,what on board grapics chip (or gpu) ect,as the only problem with most laptops is it's harder to get a custom fit,as with a desktop it's quite easy(just build it your self)
Old 16-July-2009, 20:12
Screamager

Exclamation Re: What Laptop?

Thanks for all the pointers, HV. I'll take a look. I did have my eye on a Samsung. I'll have another look around on Argos and Ebay and see what I find. I did think about the free laptop with a mobile phone deal but wonder whether it will just be a cheapo model.
Originally Posted by everton66 View Post
Not sure of what they supply to be honest, but there is only one way to find out...

Let us know and we can pull it to bits....

Hv
Old 16-July-2009, 20:28
Screamager

Exclamation Re: What Laptop?

How about this one? 419 on Argos, 450 on Amazon. 8 good reviews. Samsung.

Not fantastic graphic resolution but if you are not doing much graphics then perhaps ok.
enough ram ? 2gig
Disk size seems ok.
could not tell if it has DVD writer
Got wifi
Battery life seems ok from the spec but scores low on the stars

Now have a surf on ebay and see what they get sold for in the real world !.
Also check to see if people are selling faulty ones !
always a bad sign for a new product !.

Laptops are a very personal thing so it will need the M-I-L to come with you and touch
Buttons can be small, or in strange places.
Touch pad or stick, or both?

So much of it is personal prefferance so it is hard to say yes or no.
If you buy it and dont like it then make sure you can return within 14 or 30 days.

If you buy something and get stuck with it then as long as it is under warrenty they you can always FRY it and return.!!
Did I just say that ???

Replacement screens are cheep !

Buy Now 350 no bids at 250
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Samsung-R510-N...3A1%7C294%3A50

Bulk search
http://computers.shop.ebay.co.uk/ite...86Q2ec0Q2em282
Old 16-July-2009, 21:32
Trance Addict

I'll add some advice to this, avoid any Laptops from Toshiba. They have the worst failure rate I have ever seen in recent years. They have gone from one of the most reputable brands to one of the worst.

Common faults that I've seen so far are, failed hard drives, failed ram, failed motherboards, failed cpu coolers. Toshiba tend to use their own brand hard drives these days and they are absolutley terrible, you only need to sneeze on them and they will fail.

The biggest complaint on them is that the thermal compound that goes between the cpu and the cooler after about 15 months or so goes dry and as a result once the CPU gets too hot the laptop will blue screen and crash.

I tried to fix this problem for someone, but where they have place the cpu on the motherboard makes it an absolute pig of a job (right at the very back close to the cable that connects the screen to the motherboard) and if you break that cable you can't get a replacement.

Acer are worth a look at the moment, decent specs with some pretty decent hardware

Just don't touch a Tosh and you'll be fine
Old 17-July-2009, 15:00
Optimistic Curmudgeon

My last Samsung lappie lasted 7 years and was faultless, so I got another last year. Brilliant, can thoroughly recommend them.

I notice that Toshiba has had a mention, and I'd agree that my last one was rubbish. It only lasted just over the year before the screen pixellated all over the place, a common fault it seems. I wouldn't buy another.

Some friends have had Acers, with varying results, but the after sales service is good if repairs are needed.
Old 19-July-2009, 18:51
Screamager

Thanks for all the view points everybody. I have gone for the Samsung.
Old 19-July-2009, 23:17
Screamager

let us know how it is ..

Hv.
Old 20-July-2009, 19:50
Screamager

Will do..
Old 30-July-2009, 12:45
SourChocolate

hi

I know it's too late for any advise but maybe other people will benefit from this. I had a similar dilema recently when buying a laptop but my budget was slightly lower (ideally < 400). I considered only Lenovo, HP/Compaq or Dell as brands due to their relability. I wanted Core 2 Duo processor, HDD 120-160GB, longer battery life if possible (i.e. >2hrs) and ideally 2GB RAM.

There were not too many laptops that meet these requirements but eventually found Compaq 610. Bought it 2 weeks ago and use it every day (for office purposes - 10 hrs/day). It has a LED screen (better), 160GB HDD and you can work 5-6 hrs on battery (power saver mode - sufficient for office/internet purposes). Price was 420 but you can get 40 off from HP if you post a link to that laptop on a social bookmarking site (!). So paid 380.

My opinion - so far it's great, can play 3D games (not the recent ones - I play Warcraft III), long battery life, very light with cool design.
The only negative point to date is a glossy screen - my wife can use it as a mirror... But I checked number of other laptops the other day and it seems to be a standard these days (why????).

I reckon it is really good value for money - a lot of laptop for 380.
Old 30-July-2009, 20:33
Screamager

Good words there Choco'

Sounds like a great deal,

nice to see things do not have to cost 1.5 kids and a morgage !

Come and update the thread if you start to regret it.

Hv.

Tags
amazon, aol, bad, battery, cable, cards, credit, dead, deals, email, failure, free, hdd, home, intel, internet, key, laptop, law, make, mobile, phone, product, reviews, screen, web