Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > AOL

Old 03-March-2005, 01:52
ehosin

Default Netgear DG834G v2 - Drops connection at MIDNIGHT EVERY NIGHT?!?

Hi,

First post here, hopefully in the right place...

I bought a netgear DG834G wireless adsl broadband modem, the v2 white model - i chose it because it has good reviews, good company and 'supported' by AOL. However, At the stroke of midnight every night, AOL drops its connection - i get the 'connection to the AOL service has been lost' message, and it auto-reconnects fine. However, this is EXTREMELY annoying, especially if i am downloading something/writing email using AOL...
Network connection on any computers connected to the router is also temporarily lost.

I also know of about 4 others with the same problem..

can anyone shed any light as to what is causing this problem? Perhaps ports need unblocking, AOL is resetting dns...etc?

Any help, suggestions or guidance at all will be much obliged

Thanks a lot

-Ehosin

(a 'welcome to TS' wouldn't be bad!)
Old 03-March-2005, 09:39
Senile OAP

Default Re: Netgear DG834G v2 - Drops connection at MIDNIGHT EVERY NIGHT?!?

Hi,

First post here, hopefully in the right place...

I bought a netgear DG834G wireless adsl broadband modem, the v2 white model - i chose it because it has good reviews, good company and 'supported' by AOL. However, At the stroke of midnight every night, AOL drops its connection - i get the 'connection to the AOL service has been lost' message, and it auto-reconnects fine. However, this is EXTREMELY annoying, especially if i am downloading something/writing email using AOL...
Network connection on any computers connected to the router is also temporarily lost.

I also know of about 4 others with the same problem..

can anyone shed any light as to what is causing this problem? Perhaps ports need unblocking, AOL is resetting dns...etc?

Any help, suggestions or guidance at all will be much obliged

Thanks a lot

-Ehosin

(a 'welcome to TS' wouldn't be bad!)
Originally Posted by ehosin
I've got the same Router & AOL, sorry mate Im tucked up in bed at that God Forsaken Hour so can't say whether it cuts me off at Midnight....

Oh by the way Welcome to The Scream lol
Old 03-March-2005, 16:59
Alnath

My router is set to refesh the IP address every 24 hours so maybe its doing that.
Old 08-March-2005, 05:17
Rascal D Skunk

My router is set to refesh the IP address every 24 hours so maybe its doing that.
Originally Posted by Alnath
That's excatly what is happening. Nothing AOL can do, sorry. Its a netgear problem.
Old 10-March-2005, 11:54
The-Geek

Hi,

I run a number of DG834G routers (7 or 8) and haven't experienced this problem.

Make sure you are on the latest firmware version available from Netgear.com (V1.05.00)

Check your schedule to make sure it's set to everyday and all day

Check idle timeout to ensure it's set to "0"

Check WAN setup is set to "Connect Automatically"

If the above are all correct I would think that this is some other problem.

Have you tried looking at the Connection Status whilst the disconnect happens to see if the service is being dropped (i.e. Router Status > Connection Status pop-up window> Downstream & Upstream Speeds). If these revert to "0" temporarily then the ADSL service isn't available at midnight.

Regards

Old 10-March-2005, 13:18
Rascal D Skunk

Thats great info there. Shame AOL don't tell you this info when you ring in.
Old 10-March-2005, 13:30
shadow101

does the sync light on the modem go out when the connection drops? if so its a phyiscal problem i.e internal wiring, router, bt line
Old 10-March-2005, 13:52
Rascal D Skunk

How can it be a physical problem if it only happens at excatly midnight and it reconnects straight away?

It's a netgear firmware problem, AOL just won't admit it.
Old 10-March-2005, 14:23
shadow101

a firmware problem that makes you disconnect at 12pm exactly each night...uh huh. Ive seen 100s of people use AOL and netgear with no such problem must just be your firmware then...either that or it really is a connection problem as i said, if the sync is lost which is a lot more likely. also you do know there is a netgear support line why rely on aol for everything. Incase your not aware the sync light should always be on even when your not connected to the internet not having the light on indicates a connection fault between you and the exchange
Old 13-March-2005, 21:11
jdjpteamb

I also have this problem with the Netgear I bought last week and AOL. Dead on midnight it loses connection. Also a few people on dslreports.com have this problem too. Anyone found whats causing it yet?
One thing I notice about all the reports I've seen, they are all dated this month. Maybe its just a temporary glitch?
Old 14-March-2005, 02:08
shadow101

well then if the sync doesnt go off, update to the latest firmware and do a hard reset of your router and reset all the configuration i hear that may work (i.e dont put power off and on actually use the reset button/pinhole). Uh also is it the same using wires as wireless?
Old 18-March-2005, 01:13
aoHell

i have the same issue. just happened for the 5th consecutive night on the trott. I am on Firmware 1.05 and aol confirmed i is a known issue with ALL DG834G v2 specifically. (the white ones). They are unable to resolve apparantly but want everybody who has he issue to pass as much detail to them as possible.

The very helpful chap i spoke to recommended i bin this router and get a belkin! although not officially supported are supposedly much more stable
Old 18-March-2005, 03:18
shadow101

http://kbserver.netgear.com/release_notes/D102607.asp

beta not supported try it anyway and let us know if it changes anything please
Old 24-March-2005, 00:22
Yamhah154

I had this problem with the Netgear for 2 months.
Was in touch with BT and AOL. BT, after finding it was not the B/B connection, asked me to change the clock in the Pc and router, to see if it was a software problem. I move the Pc, 2 hrs ahead and on the router found a Summer Time switch, to move it 1 hr ahead.
Since then I have had no problems at any time. I moved the Pc clock back to normal, but left the router on Summer Time.

This might have been nothing to do with the problem and might have been something else, but it worked for me.

Worth a try.
Old 21-August-2005, 13:33
The-Geek

Hi,

New firmware v2.10.22 appears to of resolved this problem with my DG834 and also has VPN endpoint capabilities. This is not a beta and is VPNC approved.

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/dg834v2.asp

Regards
Old 21-August-2005, 16:28
alex_m

Download this tool which is only available in America just now but on its way to Britain, its called Network Magic, the option that is most handy is Connection Repair. Here is exactly what it will do:-

If there is a problem with a connection in your network, AOL Network Magic attempts to fix it automatically. If it cannot fix the problem automatically, AOL Network Magic will provide you with guidance so you can quickly fix the problem.

For example, if there is a problem with your broadband Internet connect AOL Network Magic will detect it and may be able to correct it:

Download from the link below: Ignore the connection speed when downloading its irelevant.

http://daol.channel.aol.com/networkmagic/download
Old 18-July-2008, 01:05
ian_hawdon

I dont have this router, but it's always fun watching the same 5 or 6 ppl disappear off my MSN contact list at exactly Midnight.... (i was sad enough to ask if they all had netgear's... and they do!) at least we know the Netgear time syncing service works!

I guess the biggest pain is, if you're like me, hosting a website from home, and the IP address keeps changing every day

OR

If you're on a static IP, and then that whole process is just a pain in the hole!
Old 18-July-2008, 08:58
Safe Sane Consensual

Have a DG834GSP v3 supplied free from Virgin Media.

No problems at all with this hardware using Virgin broadband set up instruction.

It runs much cooler than the Belkin it replaced
Old 20-July-2008, 16:14
Ian_Hawdon

It runs much cooler than the Belkin it replaced
Originally Posted by Worldlife View Post
If you have a Belkin, you don't need central heating! ;-)
Old 11-August-2008, 13:00
Mark unplugged

Wow, I didn't spot this thread going back to 2005! Yes, I've also (still) got this problem, curiously it disconnects at 1am when we are on BST, but midnight when on GMT.
I think i've tried everything, and have learnt to live with it.
When on IE, the page goes into 'work offline' mode, and just resumes about 20 secs later when the connection has re-established itself, but if i'm on aol with their software, then the whole thing packs up. If i'm half way thru typing out a email or message board response, I lose the lot and have to start from scratch... i've learnt to use 'copy' half way through long pieces of prose.
Old 02-February-2009, 18:35
Allister Brimble

Exactly the same for me.. it goes off at midnight or 01:00 in BST
The connection actually stays on but I believe all the ports are being cleared...
So, you should see msn messenger go off as well as any online games you are playing.
Old 05-March-2009, 03:25
Bogroll

I'm not on AOL and but i have the same router and i'm still getting this problem
Old 06-March-2009, 14:01
frustrated99

I've recently noticed this problem too. No solution that I could find but the workaround changing the timezone is something I can live with. I set the router to be on east coast US time so the problem happens at 5am in the UK.

I was running a backlevel version of the firmware, 3.01.31, because I had previously sufferred connection problems with the latest version that I'd never solved. But I read the latest firmware, 3.01.38, fixes this midnight problem so I gave it another go. I then recognized the problem on the latest firmware - it's the same midnight bug but it happens a lot more often! I think it is once an hour, but not on the hour, possibly after an hour of router/connection uptime. So I went back to the .31 firmware again and this time lied about my timezone.
Old 01-June-2009, 20:15
FrustratedToo

Thanks for the last post. I too have the same problem, and it's bloody annoying. I just sent my timezone to New Zealand, will see if that helps!
Old 29-June-2009, 19:21
Michaela

I had this problem a few years back. It's to do with the configuration of your router, so go through and check that it is all correct

Tags
adsl, aol, bad, belkin, blocking, broadband, coast, company, connection, dead, dg834g, dns, email, firmware, free, home, internet, line, lost, messenger, modem, netgear, network, online, reviews, router, speed, speeds, virgin, wireless