Go Back   The Scream! > COMMUNITY FORUMS > General Chatty Stuff

Old 16-March-2016, 21:35
Safe Sane Consensual

Default Are mobile phones a social menace?

I am finding that many of the people I am trying to help in a different social media, with many American visitors, are focussed on the use of their mobile phones and instant voice or text messages.

Often this prejudices real life communications and sinking into a virtual world not for fun but to escape the depression or unhappiness in real life.

Had to rap someone over the knuckles when I found she was texting her problem whilst driving!

Superb article by India Knight in a recent edition of "The Sunday Times" that I quoted in a question on the website involved!

Are mobile phones a social menace?

https://ppl.ceway.co.uk/case452181.0...%20Information

Extract from article:-

"India Knight: my phone has turned into a monster. Itís got to go

Youíll never believe how great life can be if you break free from your phone. Can you manage the digital detox?

India Knight Published: 21 February 2016

ĎYour time is your own againí

Iím falling out of love with my phone. Once it seemed like the gateway to a world of infinite possibilities. Now I feel like it nags me. Itís like a needy friend I didnít like that much in the first place, and like a needy friend it assumes too much and makes unreasonable demands on my time. All it does is interrupt me when Iím in the middle of doing stuff. It wheedles. Itís constantly pinging and flagging up notifications ó strangers wanting to view my private pictures on Instagram; strangers telling me itís my turn on

Words with Friends; Facebook friends telling me theyíre at this bar or restaurant ó information I never know what to do with: am I meant to while away an hour or two imagining what they might order?

Then thereís wretched, endless email. Once the future, now very much the past. And then thereís the email that checks you received the previous email, because itís been 20 minutes and you still havenít replied, and is everything OK? And the texts. And the Facebook IMs and the Twitter DMs.

All these things used to make me feel connected, in the loop as I went about my day. Increasingly, they make me feel hugely irritated. If I turn off my alerts, they come through as little red badges, silently reproachful, totting up every non-essential communication Iíve ignored. If they could talk, theyíd be saying something passive-aggressive.

I donít like what phones have done to manners, either. The absent-minded click of the button, mid-conversation. The unashamed glances at Twitter or Facebook in the middle of lunch. The texting at the table when someoneís gone to the trouble of making you dinner and providing you with companionship (this is the equivalent of looking past someoneís shoulder at a party in case you spy someone more interesting).

The inability to take a photo without posting it somewhere. I tell off my 12-year-old for these things, then realise Iíve done them myself, for years.

A week or so ago, the actor Bill Murray, 65, was at a private party at a Californian rooftop restaurant. He noticed people were taking his picture with their phones ó I was going to say ďsurreptitiouslyĒ, but their flashes were going off feet from his face (as I was saying: manners). So he marched over, grabbed their phones and threw them off the roof. This gladdens my heart (he offered to pay for the damage).

It reminded me of the time a friend of mine, an actress with one of those faces you vaguely recognise but canít quite place, was at a restaurant where a person at the next table said: ďI know you, donít I?Ē No, she said, but enjoy your dinner. This man kept staring at her, then took a covert photograph of her using his phone, not bothering to turn off the sound. She later found out that the picture had turned up on Facebook, with a caption saying ďWho is this?Ē, as though the man needed help identifying a species of mushroom or bird.

I also mourn what phones have done to boredom. Boredom is such a necessary thing, not only for children, but also for adults. Itís when youíre bored that youíre at your most creative or imaginative, because you seek to find a remedy for it. Being bored makes you do stuff: think, talk, prune a tree, read a book, sort out the pan cupboard. Or it used to. In recent years, the first thing I did when bored was look at my phone, then I wasnít bored any more. But I wasnít doing anything, either.

So now Iím sans phone, offline and uncontactable, two days a week. Iím building up to three. If someone needs me urgently, they can use ó gasp! ó the landline. I really recommend it: itís fantastically liberating, like being in a stuffy room and opening all the windows. Your time is your own again ó all the time in the world, all yours ó and the lack of interruptions is a revelation: you realise that those constant distractions meant that you were only ever half-concentrating on any one thing. On phone-free days, I get twice as much done. Eyes down is no way to experience the world: you literally canít see past your own feet.
Old 21-May-2016, 08:49
Foxy Lady

Smile Re: Are mobile phones a social menace?

Autonomy is the word of the day I think. If you don't want your mobile phone to be constantly beeping at you with every notification from social media, or sending you every email and subsequent emails because you haven't answered the first one, then don't download the app and don't set up your email address on it!!
What is the matter with people these days?? Are they incapable of taking their own lives in their own hands and deciding for themselves what they want to have on their own phones?
When all said and one, it's a machine! It will only do what you set it up to do. 'Nuff said!!
Old 27-August-2016, 09:00
Screamer

Default Re: Are mobile phones a social menace?

Autonomy is the word of the day I think. If you don't want your mobile phone to be constantly beeping at you with every notification from social media, or sending you every email and subsequent emails because you haven't answered the first one, then don't download the app and don't set up your email address on it!!
What is the matter with people these days?? Are they incapable of taking their own lives in their own hands and deciding for themselves what they want to have on their own phones?
When all said and one, it's a machine! It will only do what you set it up to do. 'Nuff said!!
Originally Posted by jenonnet View Post
I couldn't agree more.
Old 27-August-2016, 09:02
Screamer

I couldn't agree more. Excellent summation.
Old 30-August-2016, 05:04
Safe Sane Consensual

I couldn't agree more. Excellent summation.
Originally Posted by peert79 View Post
Wow - we could have a happy video conference

Tags
digital, email, facebook, free, happiness, happy, minutes, mobile, mobile phones, phone, social media, sound, talk, twitter, windows