Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > Virgin Media

Old 27-January-2006, 17:05
iamian

Default NTL / wireless router - where to start

Imagine I have an NTL set up. The RF cable comes into the back of the modem and there's a USB connection to a USB port on the PC.

I want a wireless router so the laptop can use the internet wirelessly concurrent with the home PC.

There's a RJ45 port on the PC and USB ports on the laptop.

What do I need to buy, what do I need to set up?

Thanks
Old 27-January-2006, 17:14

Default Re: NTL / wireless router - where to start

You need to buy a wireless access point something like the linksys wap54g
Old 27-January-2006, 17:23
iamian

Thanks for the prompt reply Scoobs.

Assume I'm stupid, so what will connect to where with this?
Old 27-January-2006, 17:35

This would be better http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=78215

As it combines both a router and ap you would just plug the modem into the router via the rj45 then your pc into the unit with a rj45 and then the laptop would connect wireless to the unit.

I dont have NTL but my sisters do they use a router then a AP plugged into it.

Im sure other NTL users will add some info they may recommend a different unit but it gives you an idea of what you need.
Old 04-August-2006, 23:39
nickste5

Hello Scream members ! this is my first post on these forums and I would like to start with helping iamian out. Let me first explain thay I am a cable customer(NTL) and i also have a wireless router installed (although it was a pain in the a** at first) and therefor a wireless network installed also. What i have is a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router(which only works on win2k/xp home or pro). I wanted to connect my pc upstairs to the net and at the same time share files between the two computers. i went to pc world and brought the wireless router plus a usb adapter(at the time-like 2 or 3 months ago) for like 50 quid. dunno if they are still doing it or not, but its worth a try. you could try a diiferant router company but i can't comment on them. the router comes with a power suply and a cd-rom to install the software on ur pc, aswell as a short cat5 rj45 cross over cable to connect to ur router. if you were to join up with NTL and you were to be connected through there cable modem, u will be provided with 2 cables:a usb cable and a ethernet cat5 rj45 cross-over cable. You could use the usb cable to connect but saying tht u couldnt use the router. nor can u use the both cables at the same time. plug one end of the ethernet cable provided by NTL into the ethernet port on the cable modem, then pug the other end of the ethernet cable into the port name "internet" on the wireless router. this allows the connection between the modem and the router. Next plug the ethernet cable that is provided with router in a port numbered 1 to 4. it really doesnt matter which one u plug it into. Next plug the other end of the cable into a ethernet port on your pc. Then u can, say plug in a xbox (like i have) into say port number 2 or 3 or 4. Or you could say have another computer added to ur network by connecting via the ethernet cables. to connect via ur laptop, u will a have to use a usb adapter or a notebook card. u can even install a pci network card(ive got a usb adapter WUSB54GS - which again only works on win2k/xp home or pro). U dont even have to use linksys regarding the adapter, getting a differant one would just be as good. as long as it operates on the same frequency.once u have ur router setup, (i would) u would have to enable the security feature so other people couldnt use ur connection. When u have set up the router correctly, the router will will assign a ip adress. usually this is 192.168.1.1 if i remmember correctly. To set up the security feature type the ip adress into your browser and u will see a litte box appear. It will say connect to 192.168.1.1 as the main header.It will ask for a username and a password. in may case it says in middle left WRT54GS, meaning that i know its the linksys setup page i'm about to log onto. As default(re: linksys- dunno about others) the password is admin. leave the username blank. once u have typed in admin for the password u will be logged into the linksys setup page for ur router. Go to the main tab named "wireless" , then under the subtabs (beneath the main tab) click "wireless security". Then select WEP in the little drop down box named under security mode(been told this is the best). next u got default transmit key and it's numbered 1 to 4, meaning how many computers u want to connect to using a key. Next u got WEP encryption, meaning that it uses a special typ of encryption in a password form. U can either choose 10 hex digits @ 64 bit encryption or 26 hex digits @128 bit encryption(hex means u can only use characters from A to F and numbers from 0 to 9). Next u got passphase. this is just a box to enter a word and beside it u got a button that says generate. u will then be provided with 4 generated hex keys. Although u can make ur own password, just leave the passphase blank and make a password into say box number 1. u can also rename ur router so u can tell which is urs(ssid), when u can se ur router when u are trying to connect enter the password u made up or the generated one. i would also change the password the the main linksys setup page to ur own unique password, so other's cant change the settings. And of course remmember to save the sttings(which is at the bottom of every subtab u go into). Linksys have really good tech support and really good info on all things techy(found at http://www-uk.linksys.com/servlet/Sa...VisitorWrapper ). also thought i'd mention the differance between a cross-over ethernet cat5 rj45 cable and a straight through cable. There are two types of network cables commonly used in PC networks , straight through and cross-over. Cross-over: A cross-over cable is used to connect two computers together. Straight-through: A straight-through network cable is just what the name implies, a cable that passes data straight through from one end to another. Straight-through cables are used for a variety of connections. (e.g. connecting a computer to a hub or switch, connecting a computer to a cable/ISDN/DSL modem, and linking switches and hubs/routers together.) This post isn't just directed at iamian(since its been a while since he posted to say the least), but any one who is looking for the right answers in how to set the hardware up ect. I of course aint no expert and have problems/questions my self. I also dont wanna come across as a "know it all", but still what can i do.....
a great site to take alook at(in my opinion) is: www.pcnineoneone.com/howto.html. loads of how to's on there. its helped me a few times and its good to get ur self educated. anyways soz for babbling on and soz if i miss anything out.

nickste5
Old 05-August-2006, 03:34

Paragraphs are your friend -please use them.
Old 05-August-2006, 11:30
nickste5

yeah soz bout that, just got carried away i suppose.
just thought i'd help abit, since i have a linksys router 'n' all

regards, nickste5
Old 10-August-2006, 18:25
simon28

What about IP? is it dynamic or static? what shall I use? automiatic one or just write NTL IP, but which one? Has NTL all ports blocked?
Old 27-September-2006, 16:35
freshfish

Hi There

Bit new to all this, will this do the job:

http://www.digidave.co.uk/product_in...roducts_id=295

Looks like it's Linksys, which I hear are good, and seems like a pretty impressive price.

I've only got 1MB connection, so a 11MB speed router should do it?

Any thoughts?
Old 03-October-2006, 15:44
NIGELR

Help for a thicko please!

I connect to the internet via an Ntl Cable modem that I connect to via a USb cable. I now want to connect via am Ethernet cable as I want to set up a router and that hasn't got a usb port. I have swapped the cables over but I just cannot get on the Internet using the Ethernet cable is there something I am missing? Thought it would just be a case of swapping from one to the other?
Cheers in advance
Old 08-October-2006, 11:31
lagoona

THis is the same problem I've got - trying now to use ethernet. Have you had any luck with this?
Old 17-October-2006, 08:17
terrysunderland

My wife has been complaining for ages about the ethernet cable trailing from NTL's box, across the room to my laptop beside my comfy armchair.
Yesterday, I went to PC World and asked them to recommend a router that would work with my NTL broadband setup.
I bought a Belkin - G - Router 802.11g, £54.00
The install guide is one of those huge glossy paper, multi-lingual sheets. The English bit is just a fraction of that!

Anyway, it was reasonably straight forward. It came with a short ethernet lead and instructions how to connect everything for the set-up. The installation CD auto-ran, and the set-up continued by regular clicking of the "Next" button. I had a hesitation at the Security stage, then opted for the "WPA" option. (I also opted for the "dynamic" option)

Up to now, it had only taken about 5 minutes.

The "last" step enabled the set-up to test the internet connection. The page indicated that this process might take "up to 10 attempts, which is normal".

It then cycled through 10 attempts to connect to the internet (about 20 mins) failed, then suggested a re-boot of NTL's box (no change there, then!!)

Did a re-boot, got an instant connection, set-up ended! HOWEVER........I was left with a WIRED set-up, ethernet cables still snaked across the sitting room floor!

The instruction sheet did NOT follow up with any advice about "wireless" operation.

Fortunately, I found it simple enough to connect the Router to the NTL modem (others might remain confused). I then started Windows Wireless set-up. This rapidly detected the Belkin modem and all works happily. I now have a strong connection all round the house!

In all, it took about 40 minutes from start to finish.

Cheers and Beers.

Terry
Old 17-October-2006, 09:07
Optimistic Curmudgeon

Worked so well you told us twice !
Old 17-October-2006, 13:20
Zer02004

??
Old 07-December-2006, 12:19
victor

Hi Nick, my ISP is NTL. I am using a D-link 634m 108G router. two pcs are using winXP pro. I can use both on the internet wired and wireless, but not with router set in the wep protected mode. Also I am unable to network both pc, even after having followed all the instructions offered by the Windows help pages on networking...can you help.

*** email removed to prevent spam ***
Old 04-October-2007, 16:22
jesuslove_3

Post Re: NTL / wireless router - where to start

Imagine I have an NTL set up. The RF cable comes into the back of the modem and there's a USB connection to a USB port on the PC.

I want a wireless router so the laptop can use the internet wirelessly concurrent with the home PC.

Thanks
Originally Posted by iamian View Post
i have ntl broadband at my home i have now laptop with vista windows wireless and i want the cheapest route for it to work ,please help me
Old 04-October-2007, 18:00

i have ntl broadband at my home i have now laptop with vista windows wireless and i want the cheapest route for it to work ,please help me
Originally Posted by jesuslove_3 View Post
you just need a wireless router,. any of the ones which says 'wireless cable router' or 'wireless broadband router' will be fine,.

you do *not* want one that says 'wireless adsl router' - or mentions that it has an adsl modem built in

router should be 30 quid or around that - can prolly get them for less now\

EDIT - jus realised - NTL might do adsl now? - if your connection is via the phone line (i.e. ADSL based) then obviously switch round what I said above!
Old 02-March-2008, 13:42
ahbate

ab

Thanks
Originally Posted by iamian View Post
Old 20-March-2008, 19:02
peep

Hello Everyone!

I bet u haven't heard this one before. My download speed when i surf and dowload stuff is 15kb/s and about 35kb/s when i upload. no more. i am using a router but for one computer only. Internet floats through the wire and wireless translation is switched off so it can't be snooped off. The wird thing is that when i check my internet on speedtest.net it somes up with 128kb/s for downloading and 352kb/s for uploading. So this is really weird because downloading speed is usually higher than uploading. My internet is virgin 1mbps.
I don't know where else i can ask for some help. thank you
Old 16-September-2009, 15:59
Samaston

Hi

I used to have normal BB with NTL then they offered me a new deal on a wireless router, better speeds, cheaper payment!! So I was on it in a flash.

They duly sent me the router and the instruction manual. I eagerly got it out of the box and proceeded to follow the instruction to connect it to my modem with the little eathernet wire then I went to run the set up CD. It got so far then tried to create a wireless network. It said it couldnt find one. Someone told me that I need an adaptor to go with my router that I would need to plug into my PC in order for it to work!?!?!?

As I got the router off NTL I would have presumed that it was all there ready to go........then again..........what was i thinking!!!!

Is it correct that I nee to now buy some kind of an adaptor before this thing will work. As i am still running on my old 2mg BB.

Please help me!!

thanks
Old 16-September-2009, 19:24
I'll get some legs soon..

If you are using a desktop machine, or an older laptop, the chances are it won't have wireless built in. So obviously you will need a wireless adapter to plug into the computer before it will connect wirelessly to the router.

Tags
adsl, broadband, cable, company, computer, connection, email, feature, files, flash, home, internet, isp, key, laptop, line, make, modem, network, opinion, phone, port, router, security, share, software, speed, speeds, virgin, windows, wireless, xbox