Heres what my machine consists of -

Antex Plusview 1000AMG Fileserver Case
Enermax Noisetaker 535W ATX 2.0 Sli
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4400+(939)
GeIL 2GB PC3200
Asus A8N Sli nforce4(939)
OcUK Geforece 7800GT 256MB GDDR3
Seagate SATA I 80GB(MASTER)
Western Digital Caviar Special Edition 250GB SATA II(SLAVE)
NEC DVD-RW 16x16
Arctic Freezer 64 cooler

Recently received my replacement mobo from Asus. Fitted it back in and reconnected everything. Hit the power switch........ nothing.

I have taken the whole rig apart again. Removed the original AMD stock heatsink and fan along with the retention bracket and backplate from the mobo.

Fitted the retention bracket and backplate for the Freezer 64, applied arctic silver 5 thermal compound thinly to surface of processer after cleaning it with nail polish remover. Cleaned bottom of cooler with nail polish remover and then fitted ontop of processor.

Only connected the basics this time around - 80GB master HDD, DVD drive, 1 x GFX card, both memory chips and all relevant case and cpu fans.

Connected mains lead, hit the power switch on PSU and the green light lit up on the mobo.

Pressed power switch at front of case and still zippo.

Ive checked the connection for the power switch and have tried the obvious pin combination relating to the colour coding on the wires (blue and white) and got nothing. Tried changing it to match what it advises in the manual and still nothing.

Am I making a fundamental mistake somewhere? Im going to get my PSU tested at work tommorrow to eliminate that out of the equation. Luckily its still within warranty until September this year.

Any further advice would be much appreciated, moreso from anyone with a similar setup to mine i.e. simillar mobo (sorry if that sounds rude)
Old 03-March-2008, 13:30

Default Re: Not powering up

Check the Bios jumper battery.

Make sure its not set to short.
Old 03-March-2008, 14:34
Screamer

Damn! Didnt think of that.

Will check tonight after work. Thanks Scoobs.
Old 03-March-2008, 16:24
Screamager

Hiya.

You said got a replacement Mobo from Asus, did the other one get fried or whatever, it may have also took out the CPU and/or PSU. Hopefully not though, lol.
Old 03-March-2008, 16:36

Just rearrange the words in my post so they make the correct sentence above lol

I take it the PSU fan is running
Old 03-March-2008, 16:41
Screamer

What happened previously (with initial mobo) was that the machine would power up but none of the USB ports worked. So I turned it off and decided to wait until the morning to take a look.

Come downstairs, turn on the machine. Fans whirr away but nothing displayed on screen and no POST beep.

Tested GFX card in another machine just to be sure and it was fine.

Think it may have been a power surge/spike which borked my mobo, but Im a bit miffed at that as the PC was plugged into a surge protector

Havent tested processor but then I suppose I could buy another cheapo socket 939 and see if that works

Scoobs, no fans whirring away this time not even on the case or CPU itself let alone the PSU.
Old 03-March-2008, 17:50
Screamager

Hiya.

Have you got anymore memory sticks that you can try. Might be the stick/s shorting or faulty. Also try re-seating the memory.

You could also try bypassing the power switch on the front of the PC case, by removing the connector from the Mobo and short out the 2 pins on the Mobo, with a scredriver tip or similar, but be careful doing that.

Have you connected the 4 pin ATXPWR2 plug to the Mobo, its usually near the CPU socket.

A simple test for the PSU to see if it fires up, is to turn off the PSU at the rear of the PC and then disconnect the mains lead from the mains socket. Remove all the power connectors from the Mobo and drives, etc.

Insert a paperclip jumper in the Green and Black wire sockets on the main 20/24 pin power plug, make sure it isnt touching the metal PC case anywhere, (Maybe put some insulation tape over the jumper.) then re-connect the mains lead and turn on the PSU at the rear of the PC, if the PSU fan comes on, it is normally functioning OK, if not, then the PSU may have failed.

If you dont feel competant to do the PSU test, then leave it and get your Mates to test it at work, as you said previously.
Old 03-March-2008, 19:15

I dont know how it works but there's like a hardware / power trip out protection thing which might cause the issue you see

try this (sometimes works!)

turn off at mains,. but with psu power switch on (if it has one) then while holding in the front panel power on switch turn on at mains and continue holding in front panel button - abt 30 seconds or so perhaps a little longer then let out front panel power switch

repeat above a couple times

I dont know how it works exactly but I have seen the it a few times,. one time my brother brought his PC over and the above made it power on fine (I did explain on the phone what to do but he didn't have the magic touch!)
Old 04-March-2008, 10:12
Screamer

Ok update -

Got home last night and removed PSU from case. Disconnected it from all PC components and internals.

Sat it on the floor and plugged it directly into the mains instead of a 4-gang extension block. No response what so ever, neither of the two fans on the unit fired up.

Tested the two different power leads I used to check and they were fine. Tested them on my monitor and it powered up fine so definitely not the leads.

Ive bought the PSU into work anyways and one of the lads said he'll take a look just so I at least have a second opinion.

Reckon the PSU is definitely gone?

EDIT: Hi Silver, just noticed your post (too early in the morning ) In the manual for the PSU it says something similar to what you suggested. I dc'd the PSU from the mains and all components and flipped the switch on the actual PSU several times between on and off. I left a 5 second interval each time I flipped the switch as suggested in the manual. Connected directly to the mains and still no response, not even a click or anything
Old 04-March-2008, 10:32
Screamager

Hiya.

You say you tested the PSU, but did you put the paperclip jumper in the green and black wire connector sockets ??

An ATX PSU wont fire up by just plugging it in, you need to short the 2 wires mentioned above for the PSU to turn on internally.
Old 04-March-2008, 10:53

Hiya.

You say you tested the PSU, but did you put the paperclip jumper in the green and black wire connector sockets ??

An ATX PSU wont fire up by just plugging it in, you need to short the 2 wires mentioned above for the PSU to turn on internally.
Originally Posted by JohnnyReb51 View Post
right - the psu unit has to be plugged into the mboard to power on (or use paperclip method - with caution!)

trick is about holding in the front panel power on button as the mains is applied to the PSU (providing PSU power switch is set to on) - push and hold in front panel power button for ~30second maybe a bit longer just before and after you power on at mains
Old 04-March-2008, 12:06
Screamer

Hi Johnny,

Yep my dad didnt use a paperclip though. He used some sort of meter thingy that shorted the two pins and at the same time checks for any current flowing through. Nothing. Which is a bit weird because the green light on the mobo came on when the PSU was plugged into the case and components.
Old 04-March-2008, 13:15
Screamager

Hiya.

A paperclip would have been more positive, I believe that both wires are Negative and wouldnt show any current passing through, the black wires is definately Negative, so I assume the green is a complimentary negative switching wire.

We'll have to wait and see what the outcome of your workplace diagnosis comes up with.

It may be a rail gone down in the PSU, they usually have 3 voltage rails, 3v, 5v and 12v.
Old 04-March-2008, 14:47
Screamer

Right, just been to the build room at work and setup the PSU on the test bed.

Made sure the necessary cables were securely fitted. Connected to the mains and flipped the switch at back of PSU. The mobo light came on. Hit the power button on the PC and.....a big fat nothing lol

Fingers are pointing at the PSU. Everyone concur? Luckily its still within warranty until this September.
Old 04-March-2008, 14:55
Screamager

Hiya.

Did you try shorting the 2 pins on the Mobo that the Power switch lead attaches to, as I mentioned before, it could simply be the front power switch at fault.
Old 04-March-2008, 15:05
Screamer

Tried it with the paper clip. The chap who was helping me thought I was nuts. Inserted one end into the pin corresponding to the green wire and the other end corresponding to the black wire. Turned on at back of PSU and then flipped the switch on the mains to ON. Still nothing.

EDIT: Oops read your post wrong. Ill check when I get back home as a final elimination.
Old 04-March-2008, 15:14
Screamager

Hiya.

I try to exhaust all avenue's before declaring anything as broken, we wouldnt want you to send the PSU back, for them to say there isnt anything wrong with it, lol.

PS. Just read your post again and noted you tried the paperclip at your workplace, if the fan didnt spin in the PSU, its more than likely fried then.
Old 04-March-2008, 16:03
Screamer

Ill still test the pins on the mobo for the power switch. As you say its best to make sure in this instance.

Cheers for your time so far folks. Ill post an update later on tonight hopefully, if not then tommorrow morning.
Old 05-March-2008, 10:26
Screamer

Johnny, just to make sure, when I tested with the paperclip I inserted one end of the clip into the hole corresponding to the green wire and the other end in the hole correspponding to the black wire. The black wire is to the right of the green wire. Hope that makes sense.

The reason I am checking is because to the left of the green wire there are 2 more black wires. Not sure if I tested correctly
Old 05-March-2008, 11:30

All of the black wires connect to GROUND, so using any of them should work.
Old 05-March-2008, 11:51
Screamer

Ok cheers matey. Sorry for the thick question lol
Old 05-March-2008, 12:13
Screamager

Hiya.

As BJ said, any black wire will do.

Normally there is one black wire on one side of the green wire and 3 black wires on the other side of the green wire.

Here is a pic of a 20 pin connctor and the link below that is the 24 pin connector.

http://pinouts.ru/Power/atxpower_pinout.shtml

http://pinouts.ru/Power/atx_v2_pinout.shtml
Old 05-March-2008, 14:55
Screamer

Ok Ive just tested it again and the PSU whirred into action. The fans started spinning. I didnt get to test the power switch on my PC case last night, so Ill try this tonight.

Whats the best way for me to short the power switch pins on my mobo, paperclip again or see if Ive got a spare jumper switch somewhere?
Old 05-March-2008, 16:53
Screamager

Hiya.

Thats some possible good news then if the fan/s are spinning. Although the paperclip test is only a basic test to bring the PSU out of Standby and doesnt mean that the PSU is 100% working.

To short the 2 Power button pins on the Mobo, you only need to touch them together momentarily, it isnt a continous connection when you press the power button on the front of the PC, so you can possibly use a screwdriver tip with care, or bend a paper clip in a V shape and push the pointed end of the V inbetween the 2 pins. You just need to basically touch the 2 pins so a contact is made, then remove the shorting tool.

If the PC fires up, then the switch is probably faulty or it can be that the switch wires have broken somewhere along the line.

An alternate suggestion is to borrow a PSU from someone and see if the no start problem is resolved.
Old 05-March-2008, 16:56
Screamer

Cheers for that Johnny, ill give that a try.

If I use the paperclip in a V shape as you described and use it to short the pins, I wont ummmmm..... get an electric shock or anything will I?
Old 05-March-2008, 17:03
Screamager

Hiya.

No you wont, they are both Negative connections.

Nothing on the actual Mobo will give you a shock, they are all low voltages.

The PSU is the one that would zap you, if it was opened up and fiddled about with, whilst turned on.

Just be careful you touch only those 2 pins.
Old 05-March-2008, 17:17
Screamer

Ok cool. I hope thats all it is
Old 06-March-2008, 15:59
Trance Addict

I used a flat bladed screw driver on the pins of the motherboard, works a treat

Tags
battery, chips, connection, digital, hdd, home, line, make, opinion, phone, remover, screen