Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Hardware > ADSL Router Mods

Old 28-January-2010, 15:04
Spookydoodles

Lightbulb Epic Problem (BT Home hub v1)

Hi guys. I have a bit of an epidemic and was wondering if someone would be willing to help me.

Basically, tomorrow I am moving into a shared house. The only problem is, my room is in the basement, and I detest using wireless. They have a standard netgear wireless router (unsure on model number sorry) and I do wish to use the internet when I'm there...

I still have a BT home hub V1 and was wondering if there is anyway I can just have the homehub plugged in to the mains down in the basement, somehow trigger it to pick up the wireless signal the netgear router is outputting, so I could then plug my PC/Xbox ect into the Homehub and that could deal with it rather than me having wireless adapters all over the shop.

I understand this might be wierd sounding, and I'm not very technological, so please excuse me if this is a completely rediculous thing to be wanting to do.

Thanks in advanced x
Old 28-January-2010, 18:18
Austin_KW

Default Re: Epic Problem (BT Home hub v1)

What you are describing is called wireless bridging, or part of wireless extending, wireless repeating or Wireless distribution WDS.
The bridging connects the 2 routers together and the repeating etc lets you connect to the network by connecting to the local route's wireless( but you dont care about this part)

You could try using the WDS on the routers but often it only supports WEP encryption or only works with a router from the same vendor.
You would probably need to disable dhcp on the hub and set its LAN ip address to one on the netgear's subnet.

Should work if the netgear supports wds but you may have to cripple the security.
If the netgear was mine I would not permit this.

If you are so opposed to wireless run a long ethernet cable to your room and connect to a cheap switch.
Old 29-January-2010, 01:59
Spookydoodles

Smile Re: Epic Problem (BT Home hub v1)

Thanks very much! I will give it ago, but if I need to fiddle with the security I probably won't bother. I was going to just use an ethernet cable, but I'm also an extremely lazy student who works part time, and I was mainly trying to find a way around having to tack an ethernet cable all over the place.

I will let you know how it goes.

Tags
bt, bt home hub, cable, dhcp, home, home hub, hub, internet, netgear, network, router, security, shop, wireless, xbox