Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > AOL

Old 29-November-2007, 21:22
Gshocker

Default 1 AOL account, 2 machines? is it possible?

Hi,
I've been with AOL years and my current deal is £22.50, 2mb speed (with the promise of 4mb, but heard nothing) and the on line Mcafee stuff.

My Girlfriend also has an AOL account at her place, paying £15.99, for a recently upgraded 2mb speed.

My question is, could we cancel her account, delete AOL of her machine, then reload it using my AOL account details?

At my place I do use AOL, but at her place I always fire up my lap top to surf and work using her wireless access via AOL, but using IE 7.1 (or what ever it is?).

1.So, in summary, can we cancel her account and use mine on her machine?

2.If yes, and would the wireless network set up ok? I use the network alot here and would not want to lose it?

I'm fed up with running 2 accounts
Rob.
Old 30-November-2007, 11:13
Techno Peasant

Default Re: 1 AOL account, 2 machines? is it possible?

Not totally clear what your asking - but it sounds as though you and the g/f both have AOL accounts at separate addresses, ergo separate phone lines.

If that's the case then each address / phone line will need it's own ADSL / BB service - since each ADSL account is set to work to only one specific phone line.

So I guess the answer to your question is - probably not.

TP
Old 01-December-2007, 12:29
Gshocker

Thanks Techno,
you were right about my problem - wanting to run 1 AOL account off 2 locations / phone lines.
So you think it probably cant be done. Great shame..

Changing the scenario slightly....if she cancelled AOL completly, and lets say even as far as getting rid of her PC, could I then set up an ADSL wireless modem, with my AOL acount / log in details, and plug it into the phone.

Then if I fire up my laptop, which has no AOL s/w on it, could I connect to the internet wirelessly?

Your help is much appreciated.
Rob.
Old 02-December-2007, 10:23
Techno Peasant

Changing the scenario slightly....if she cancelled AOL completly, and lets say even as far as getting rid of her PC, could I then set up an ADSL wireless modem, with my AOL acount / log in details, and plug it into the phone.

Then if I fire up my laptop, which has no AOL s/w on it, could I connect to the internet wirelessly?

Rob
Originally Posted by Gshocker View Post
Hi Rob.

Got start here by saying I'm not an AOL customer - and have never used AOL broadband. Although I did use AOL dial-up from 1999-2003.

I use a "bare-bones" ISP - i.e. they provide my connection and I provide / configure the router and wireless network I have at home.

There is some mileage in what you suggest - the major drawback being that your g/f would not have a broadband service at her house. There may be penalties for cancelling, and it would almost definitely require a reconnection fee for ADSL to be re-connected. You both need to think this through in terms of cost.

As for your connection. If you are relatively savvy - installing and cobfiguring a wireless router isn't too difficult. The major thing that you need is you broadband connection username and password - and I'm guessing you'll know these.

Basically I reckon that if you fire-up a wireless router at home plugged into the microfilter on your phone line, connect your laptop to it (either ethernet or wirelessly), it should simply be a case of loding up the configuration screen (probably an IP address of 192.168.1.1 - or something like that - into an IE7 address bar) you should be able to find where to put you AOL details in - and you should be up and running.

Once you've done that any browser should work - your laptop won't even need to know about AOL since it the router that's making the connection - much like at your g/f's house just now.

Might be worth taking a look at the configuration of the router you g/f has before you do much else - just to see if you can follow what I say - and feel up to the challenge.

If you have any other qs. - post them I'll try and answer - or maybe some of the other AOL users out there might be abe to help

Hope this helps.

TP
Old 02-December-2007, 12:44
Gshocker

Hi TP,
Once again, many thanks for the time your taking to consider my issue.

You mention about the connection and installing a wireless connection - I know what you mean and think I could configure her existing netgear router via IE7 to same configuration as my account, password and username etc, so therefore you think i'd be up and running....?? This is my hope.

You also mention however that cancelling may result in the ADSL not being available from her line, which would then mean my idea above would not work?
To cancel her service with AOL would noy incur any penalties as she is well over the initial 12 months set out originally.

So my next question, if I could configure a wireless router to my account, via IE7, and she cancelled her AOL service, but the Phone line's ADSL ability was disconnected, how do I get the ADSL ability back?
I'd basically require an ADSL enabled line, but not paying any ISP. Would BT do this? any ideal on the cost? she is currently paying £160 a year for an AOL BB service, so a one off connection charge would be cheaper than this I imagine.

Before I start tinkering with her Wireless config (which I bodged my way through at set up) I want to make sure it is possible to do this.

If the line was enabled, as an effectively 'open' ADSL would it then connect to my AOL ok? (I guess this is the original question!).

You mentioned about a 'bare bones' ADSL. Would this be similar to my requirements at the G/F's house?

Many thanks again..hope it all makes sence.

Rob.
Old 03-December-2007, 11:32
Techno Peasant

Hi again Rob.

Sorry I didn't respond yesterday, didn't manage to get back to check the forum 'til this monring.

Sadly I think that you are looking for something that doesn't exist.

I was concerned that your original post implied that you wanted to use a single ISP account to provide connection to two separate BT landlines (which I see from yesterday's question is pretty much what you did want).

ADSL broadband, delivered over a BT telephone line is not free. If both you and g/f want to have BB in your own homes, then you both need to continue to subscribe to an ISP (in addition to paying your BT landline rental).

I refered to a 'bare bones' ADSL - by this I meant only the connection - no additional (supposedly) free hardware, no software supplied by my ISP (like the AOL browser), no remote management or upgrading of router/modem software, etc. This is the way I like it - but it does mean I'm responsible for my own internet configuration and protection (which is not perhaps a sensible place for the vast majority of people).

For the record my 'bare bones' serivce costs the same per month (c. £16 pm) as your g/f is currently paying AOL. For this I get 'unlimited' downloading, 'upto 8Mbps' d/l speeds - subject to the usual 'distance from the exchange' / 'peak time use' caveats. Much though I've looked I haven't been able to find a better deal than this - most ISPs introduce some degree of d/l restriction (3Gb, 5Gb per month, for example) at this sort of monthly subscription level, and TBH I keep expecting my current ISP to be forced to do something similar (ie. either cap d/l per month, or increase charge).

Without knowing the details of the AOL contracts that you and the g/f both have, it's difficult to say if your getting value for money or not. If your g/f has a 2Mb, unlimited d/l service that she's happy with - I suspect that it would be difficult to reduce costs in any way - unless you considered 'bundled' offers from other suppliers (ie. phone, BB, TV as a single account). I personally continue to avoid such offers prefering to pay slighlty more not to have 'all eggs in one backet'. Depending upon your actually monthly d/l traffic and times of use - you may be able to get a slightly better deal - but again you'll have to consider whether or not you're happy with the service / contract you currently have with AOL. Depending upon how far either of you are from your local exchange, both of you may be able to increase your d/l speeds for about the same subscription rates - but again unless you have a real need for faster d/s, why bother ??

Don't know if these thoughts help in any way - since they're clearly not going to result in the saving that you were hoping to achieve. But I hope they help you decide what to do. As I said earlier, ADSL is an additional service on each phone line and has to be paid for in addition to line rental.

Let me know how you get on - or if there's anything else you'd like to ask me.

Cheers - TP

PS - just found this quick guide to what BT charges an ISP - thanks to Olozzg

Last edited by Techno Peasant; 03-December-2007 at 12:21. Reason: To add the PS
Old 08-December-2007, 21:58
Gshocker

Hello T.P,
Many thanks again for this info. I'm completely satisfied now that this cannot be done, as you mentioned, if one ADSL account is set up to one phone line, then that says it all I guess. I thought It might be feasible, naively perhaps, but considering ISP's give many screen names, they would have already thought of this.
The bare bones ISP is tempting, but AOL changed my life, literately...I email a CV to company ages back in 2002ish...and 3 years later a guy emailed me back on the off chance, we set up and interview, and i got the job. I don’t want to be tied down by AOL but I want my email address....anyway, thank you for all your advice...speak soon.
Rob.

Tags
adsl, aol, broadband, bt, bundled, company, connection, email, free, happy, home, internet, isp, laptop, line, make, modem, netgear, network, phone, rates, router, screen, software, speed, speeds, wireless