Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > Tesco ADSL Broadband

Old 13-March-2008, 22:25
Anothernewbie

Question XBox Live, Tesco Broadband, Billion 5200g router

I have had problems with Tesco and XBox Live ever since I bought the thing, but recently things have got worse and I need help. I am playing Gears Of War most of the time and often search for custom games in the versus game mode. The first time I try to connect, it says connection lost and subsequently have to sign out and in again before I can play any games. Frequently though, I am cut off after a few minutes of gaming and have to sign in again. This happened each time I disconnected from a host, for a whole week! Plus, there are a few of my friends who can't connect with me. This isn't an NAT problem. I'm using a Billion 5200g router if this is anything to go by. Can anyone help?
Old 14-March-2008, 09:09
Screamager

Default Re: XBox Live, Tesco Broadband, Billion 5200g router

Are you using it wired or wireless and if wireless do you get the same problems if wired. Here is a post where somebody else had the same issue but solved it by upgrading the firmware and rebooting the router.
Old 14-March-2008, 18:16
Anothernewbie

Question Re: XBox Live, Tesco Broadband, Billion 5200g router

Its wired. I haven't got the facility to connect to a wireless network from the XBox. I've read the post but it seems that it concentrates on wireless networking. The other difference is that they are referring to BT Broadband. With Tesco I have a 1MB connection and live in Norfolk, England, which s renound for poor connections from whichever server. My friends are using Bt and don't have the same connection issues as I do. It may just be that the supposed 1MB connection is failing on me....
Old 15-March-2008, 18:26
Screamager

But the post I referred you to had similar issues to you? Did you try the firmware upgrade? Also, is it possible to try one of your friends modem's on your service to eliminate a modem issue?
Old 16-March-2008, 14:32
Anothernewbie

Thanks for your help, but I rang the XBox helpline and they said that it could be a port issue on my router. I'd heard this many times before but I never really looked into my router properly. I altered the settings in the Virtual Server just as they told me, and by pure luck I found a website that told me to do the same! http://www.portforward.com/english/r...x_Live_360.htm
I haven't tried connecting yet as I haven't been able to, but I can tomorrow. I will let you know how this works out!
Old 17-March-2008, 19:21
Anothernewbie

Ok, I opened all the following ports for my router:
tcp 3074
udp 3074
udp 3330
udp 88
udp 53
I did the exact same for my friend's router and double-checked all objects such as Portocol and IP addresses. We still can't connect.
Old 18-March-2008, 15:00
Muscleman

get a decent router

billion are ****
Old 18-March-2008, 19:24
Austin_KW

Try putting the xbox in the DMZ, all ports will then be forwarded to the xbox.
Old 22-March-2008, 13:54
Anothernewbie

DMZ activated. I can now play games without having to sign in twice. The problem was that I also had 3 other ports open as well as the ones I needed. It was still forwarding through those ports until I removed them. I also found out that the problem was not mine, but my friend's, who has a lousy 512K connection, which refuses to connect to any host lower than 2MB. I have 1MB, so the fault is partly mine I suppose!

Anyway, I can connect fine now, and plan to upgrade to an 8MB connection with BT. Thanks for all your help!
Old 14-April-2008, 21:11
Anothernewbie

Unhappy Re: XBox Live, Tesco Broadband, Billion 5200g router

Ok......this isn't working. I haven't been able to tell this for a while but now that I can I will: the miracle of my network functioning properly lasted a few mere minutes. Now I am experiencing exactly the same problems as before: have to sign into XBox Live twice before I can play; can't play with all friends etc. I despair, and have since gone to the nearest store for a length of rope and a DIY gallows....
Old 15-April-2008, 16:32
Screamager

Might not be what you want to hear, but I had loads of problems with my son's xbox live through a Belkin router. I took with a pinch of salt the fact that some routers are "xbox compatible" on the xbox web site, but after not being able to solve the issue with the Belkin I bought an "xbox compatible" router and it has been working brilliantly ever since, right out the box.
Old 17-April-2008, 21:38
anothernewbie

Thumbs up Re: XBox Live, Tesco Broadband, Billion 5200g router

Thanks for everyone's help on this thread! I have finally sorted out the problem! I had correctly routed the xbox to play through a DMZ, however, I failed to assign it a static IP address. Fixed that problem, now playing like I've never played before! My friends felt like having a party after we got connected again. Thanks once again!
Old 01-June-2008, 19:30
BenBenBen

I have tesco broadband also, I connect the ethernet cable to the back of the PC, bit it always fails with Ip connection, any suggestions?
Old 01-June-2008, 22:49
Austin_KW

I have tesco broadband also, I connect the ethernet cable to the back of the PC, bit it always fails with Ip connection, any suggestions?
Originally Posted by BenBenBen View Post
More information.

What is the modem/router model
What OS are you running (XP/vista)
Old 21-June-2008, 10:29
anothernewbie

Ok, something slightly different this time. In the last few hours my router has been cutting out at irregular intervals. It keeps losing the "PPP" and the "ADSL" connections almost as if its just restarting itself.....any ideas?
Old 19-August-2008, 17:22
greg

You gonna need to upgrade the firmware, as there was a Service Pack 3 issue that would cause the router to restart.

Download the new firmware from billion website, I think the firmware version was 2.11.

Tags
adsl, belkin, broadband, bt, cable, connection, firmware, forward, gears, lost, modem, nat, network, port, rates, router, settings, tesco, web, wireless, xbox